Stihl saws banned by Osha?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is true that fuel spews out right after the cap is twisted. I have several Stihl pieces with the flippy cap so I've grown accustomed to letting the pressure ease out.
Same with my battery saws: when I swap out a pack, I get ions floating everywhere!

Philbert

I have never had a problem with mine. If I fill up when hot the tank is usually empty anyway. I have heard wild land fire fighters have had concerns. Way more risky for them with hot embers nearby.

On a tractor forum in a chainsaw section I saw a report that Osha has banned Stihl saws due to fuel geysers when hot due to the 'flippy caps'. Seems opening them rapidly can cause fuel blow out on the operator and has resulted in bad burns.

I doesn't sound right to me. If true it would have been published and been discussed all over the 'net'
I agree. The matter is serious, however, FWIW I have four Stihl saws with flip caps and they don't spew fuel out when opened.

Back