Stihl SH85 no start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theoldwizard1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Stihl SH85 blower/vac that suddenly is a "no start". I used it yesterday and today it won't start. It acts like it is flooded (it has always been easy to flood; one or 2 pull with the choke on; turn the choke off and one or 2 more pulls.)
  • Cleaned the air filter
  • Cleaned the muffler (piston looks perfect)
  • New spark plug (NGK BPMR7A)
Definitely has spark and fuel. Fuel is E10 and I use Stihl full synthetic oil. (I would have to drive over 50 mile round trip for "pure" gasoline.)

What should I check next ?

I have a Stihl SH85 blower/vac that suddenly is a "no start". I used it yesterday and today it won't start. It acts like it is flooded (it has always been easy to flood; one or 2 pull with the choke on; turn the choke off and one or 2 more pulls.)
  • Cleaned the air filter
  • Cleaned the muffler (piston looks perfect)
  • New spark plug (NGK BPMR7A)
Definitely has spark and fuel. Fuel is E10 and I use Stihl full synthetic oil. (I would have to drive over 50 mile round trip for "pure" gasoline.)

What should I check next ?
Take the air filter off and pull it rapidly and and non stop for 10 pulls and see if it was just flooded . I had this happen today on a trimmer.

Take the air filter off and pull it rapidly and and non stop for 10 pulls and see if it was just flooded . I had this happen today on a trimmer.
WOW ! Quick and easy solution !! I also re-set the low and high speed screws. Looks like I will have to disassemble the housing to adjust the idle screw (stalls at idle).

Time for a new filter ? The Stihl filter is 2 layers, a typical foam pre-filter and a much heavier/stiffer (more restrictive ?) back side. The Stens 100-739 appears to be a single layer. Anyone using the Stens filter ?

Latest posts

Back