Stihl Shredder Vac

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Alpha1

100% USDA Certified Abnormality-Free.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've been using an electric Toro vac for years w/o any real issues or problems. I get kind of tired pulling the power cord around, but it's just part and parcel of the job.

Lately, I've been thinking about buying a Stihl Shredder Vac. Looked at the SH-56 C-E and the SH-86 C-E. They are $199.95 and $299.95 respectively.

Both are 27.2 cc's, and bhp ratings are .09 and 1.1 respectively. There is approx. less than 1 lb. in overall weight difference between the two.

I've examined both at my local Stihl dealer. The SH-86 is considered a pro-model. I know the elec. vacs develop a higher wind speed compared to the gas models. I've never used a gas vac before and am concerned that it may not be as strong as my Toro.

The Stihl dealer I spoke to said that all Stihl OPE have a 7-day money-back guarantee if you buy an item and don't like it.

I'm ready to spring for one, but thought I'd ask first if anyone on here has any experiences, good or bad, with either model? I don't have a bunch of leaves lying around to test it on, but I think I could come up with some weeds here and there. I've got some weed-wacking to do in the near future, and I could test the vac on the remains.

Anyways, if anyone has some comments, tips, or advice, please sound off and let me know.

TIA!

sh86ce.png

The 86's work great! Trust me it'll work much better than your electric one. The stats don't tell the whole story! The 56 and 86 take a good minute to warm up to get to full speed as they are strato motors. Also a fine blower you'll get. The av is nice and it comes
with a HD filter. I like the 85 more just because you get power right from start up. Other than that the 86 is what I'd recommend

I read the on-line reviews of the SH-86 C-E and they were very positive. Then my wife tells me she needs to go to town and run a couple of errands. She asks if I want to go along?

That's all I needed to get me moving. Anyways, we're back and the SH-86 followed me home. Gave it another good looking over at the Stihl dealer and decided to pop for it. I bought the customary six-pack of Ultra oil for an add'l. two years of warranty, which brought it up to a total of four years.

Gonna mess around with it later today and get to know it better. I might even piss-rev it a wee bit in my garage / shop, just so some of you won't be disappointed.

I'll put it to work later this week. :dancing:

I read the on-line reviews of the SH-86 C-E and they were very positive. Then my wife tells me she needs to go to town and run a couple of errands. She asks if I want to go along?

That's all I needed to get me moving. Anyways, we're back and the SH-86 followed me home. Gave it another good looking over at the Stihl dealer and decided to pop for it. I bought the customary six-pack of Ultra oil for an add'l. two years of warranty, which brought it up to a total of four years.

Gonna mess around with it later today and get to know it better. I might even piss-rev it a wee bit in my garage / shop, just so some of you won't be disappointed.

I'll put it to work later this week. :dancing:

We'll need the obligatory pics of you blowing and sucking (Somehow, that just sounds wrong).

The only complaint I ever heard from either was on the 56. I had a couple people say it had a hard time with wet leaves getting stuck in the elbow. They returned them and got the 86 and never came back to return it so that's a plus!

The only complaint I ever heard from either was on the 56. I had a couple people say it had a hard time with wet leaves getting stuck in the elbow. They returned them and got the 86 and never came back to return it so that's a plus!

I won't mess with wet leaves. We have a Flowering Pear Tree in the front yard that makes a real mess twice a year. Before messing with it's leave, I make sure that they are dry. Lucky for us, wet leaves aren't too much of an issue here. Rain is limited and rather predictable during the seasons.

I gutted the cat muffler and opened the front. Night and day difference on the 86.

Crap.....another crimped together muffler.

Doesn't anyone make mufflers that still bolt together anymore? Don't know if I'll be gutting the muffler, but the spark arrestor screen will definitely be going bye bye.

86 is your best bet. Pull the nozzle off the exhaust, cut the screen off. It runs a lot better. Stay away from landscape stones/ rocks. It will easily suck them up, and really bad things happen!!!!

I've been eyeing one for a while too, but seemed like not a lot of folks on here use them when I was looking for reviews last year. Definitely keep us up to date on your review!

Fired it up last night, and I was impressed at how quiet it was. The AV feature works well. It was a bit cold blooded though, but did come to life within a minute or so.

Pulled the exhaust outlet pipe and removed the spark arrestor screen. Won't be needing that! Gonna start it back up later today and see if I notice any improvement. Played around a bit installing and removing the vacuum tube and blower tube. The vacuum tube could have been designed a bit better, as it's a PITA to install / remove until you get the hang of it. A few more times of on / off and I should be good.

The air filter is NICE! Not a scrawny little wire mesh screen with some flocking on it, or a piece of foam. It's a real filter, similar to the one on my MS-261C.

Overall, I like it. Not too heavy or cumbersome feeling. I might feel different though, after the 1st time of use with a full bag of debris. It can't be any worse than the Toro blower I have, and trying not to trip over the power cord.

Anyways, I think it's going to be a nice addition to my little family of Stihl OPE.

I have a $1000 snapper push model with a 6hp briggs and a huge bag. It has a giant impeller. . I use for Magnolia and oak leaves. Even that thing doesn't work good with wet leaves. All the suckers I have ever seen prefer dry leave.

Although I haven't had a chance to vacuum up some old leaves as of yet, I have had a couple of chances to chase dust bunnies in my garage / shop. My new Stihl vac / blower isn't as strong as my elec. Toro vac. / blower is, that's pretty obvious.

It is faster and more convenient, as I don't have to plug it in and pull the power cord around. With the Toro blower, if stuff wasn't nailed down, it would blow it out the garage door. My Stihl blower just doesn't produce the wind speed the Toro does. But then again, with my Stihl, I can control the wind speed via the throttle, which is nice at times.

Anyways, I'm gonna keep it none-the-less. I'll try vacuuming some leaves this weekend. If it even comes close to the performance of my Toro, I'll be okay with it.

Latest posts

Back