Stihl starting problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Too too Tall

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Stihl 031 that I purchased in 1981. It is a great saw and up until recently the only problem I have had is it keeps filling my boots with saw dust. But now, it will not start when cold unless I "thumb choke" it (I take off the air cleaner, cover the air intake with my thumb and pull the starter cord). The first time I pull the starter cord and take my thumb away from the carb it is dry, the second time I pull the cord and look at my thumb, it is wet with gas. Then, when I pull the starter cord a third time, without thumb choking, the saw starts right up. From then on, if the saw is hot, it starts right up with no choking, just like when it was new. But, if you let the saw cool off even a little, like if you stop to eat a sandwich, it will not start unless you thumb choke it again. The manual choke operates OK, it just just does not close off the air intake enough to suck enough gas to start the saw. This is a genuine pain. Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem? Any ideas where to get parts for a 40 yo saw?

Welcome to AS. Have you tried another filter? They're available in the aftermarket if need be. I'd start by taking the filter apart and see what's going on with the choke, then rebuild the carb. Treat the old gal a new fuel & impulse line when she has some down time.

Hi and welcome.
It possible (possible) after all these years the choke lever has worn out. You can check this by seeing if it has any play: normally it should fit nice and tight. If that's the case it's a pretty common Stihl part (it's surely shared by 030 and the 032, may be other models as well) and albeit no longer available new it's a pretty common used spare.

Hello, I have a Stihl 031 that I purchased in 1981. It is a great saw and up until recently the only problem I have had is it keeps filling my boots with saw dust. But now, it will not start when cold unless I "thumb choke" it (I take off the air cleaner, cover the air intake with my thumb and pull the starter cord). The first time I pull the starter cord and take my thumb away from the carb it is dry, the second time I pull the cord and look at my thumb, it is wet with gas. Then, when I pull the starter cord a third time, without thumb choking, the saw starts right up. From then on, if the saw is hot, it starts right up with no choking, just like when it was new. But, if you let the saw cool off even a little, like if you stop to eat a sandwich, it will not start unless you thumb choke it again. The manual choke operates OK, it just just does not close off the air intake enough to suck enough gas to start the saw. This is a genuine pain. Any ideas what I can do to fix this problem? Any ideas where to get parts for a 40 yo saw?
The choke is definitely the problem, it happens on the 028 and 038 as well, same design. You need a tight seal for the choke to work properly, inspect the air filter and make adjustments as necessary, the choke is built into the filter assembly and the control lever may need some tweaking.:cool:

Latest posts

Back