• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold STIHL TS400 CUT OFF SAW (ANGLE GRINDER)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sally97k

Reaction score
Hi all. I joined your forum because it was the only place I found any helpful info about replacing the broken handle casing and missing on/off switch on my Stihl TS400. I've ordered the new handle casing that forms part of the trigger/accelerator mechanism, and I've also ordered a new on/off switch shaft. Both parts will arrive this week. I decided to start prepping the job today. I removed the damaged handle casing, and I removed the black upper trigger. This gave me a clear view of everything inside. I've done my own research on the springs and rods that all play their part within the mechanism, and nothing is missing. All was looking good until I sprayed some wd40 and wiped off the grime and dust. I noticed this tiny almost hairline crack above the pivot of the accelerator/trigger...? I've taken a few photos and enlarged a couple of them. The enlarged photos of the "hairline fracture" definitely make it look like it's broken, but when you look with the naked eye it is a very straight and precise gap/crack and therefore I'm wondering if it's meant to be there and is manufactured like that..? I'm a complete novice with petrol tools and the only reason I've got this TS400 is because my father-in -law couldn't be bothered with it after retiring and asked me if I wanted it as a project because it was a bit of a wreck and wouldn't start. I bought a service kit for it inc air filters, fuel filter, drive belt, spark plug, pull lead. My strip and rebuild was a great success and after putting it back together and refuelling it with the correct mix of premium petrol and good quality Castrol two stroke oil, my son fired it up on the 4th pull. I did some more research and adjusted the idle speed after we got it running, and it was honestly like brand new in a mechanical and engine sense. The damage was caused by a scaffold tube toppling over and landing on the area you can see is broken. Sorry if my story is a bit long, but I thought it might help if you all knew its history. I'm not worried if that hairline crack has also been caused by the trauma of the impact because these parts are very cheap to buy. I'm a great believer in that old saying.....
"WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN'T BROKEN..." ??
Thanks in advance to any of you knowledgeable fellas who might be able to educate and advise me. 20210503_150655.jpg20210503_144950.jpgScreenshot_20210503-145221_Gallery.jpg

Back