Stihl vs. Husqu

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greener

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have been using Stihl saws for years. I recently did a bit or research and there may be a 1/2 pound or .5 hp difference here and there among comparable saws but nothing breathtaking. Isn't it 6 of 1 and 1/2 dozen of the other? Why all the hype among tree guys about Husquevarna? (Just for reference, I usually run a 192T, 026, 036, 440 and 460; used to have a 660, but too much weight.) Thanks in advance for input.
Colby

Im just a tinkerer that has mostly Stihls. Ive worked on a few Huskys and dont think they have any more problems than the Stihls. The biggest factor here in the Cleveland area,in my opinion,is there are more Stihl dealers than Husky. Ive got three different Stihl dealers within a 10 minute drive and no real Husqvarna dealers anywhere close. If there was a close one Id probably have more.:msp_smile:

its personal preference.

Huskys are lighter,faster,smoother,easier to work on, and better air filtration.

I guess if you have to have the word stihl in your name,you going to have to make some compromises .

Im just a tinkerer that has mostly Stihls. Ive worked on a few Huskys and dont think they have any more problems than the Stihls. The biggest factor here in the Cleveland area,in my opinion,is there are more Stihl dealers than Husky. Ive got three different Stihl dealers within a 10 minute drive and no real Husqvarna dealers anywhere close. If there was a close one Id probably have more.:msp_smile:

It's the same here. 3 to 1 on Husky vs. Stihl dealers.

Different "Attitude" in the cut, different feel due to the AV. and in some cases a big difference in the way they are laid out.

I like them both, for thier own reasons, but lean towards the Huskys.

Run a couple, and see.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

IMO echo cs341 is hands down the best climber
stilh 200t does have more power and is very durable. also discontinued
might be back tho, echo discontinued the then cs 3400 for a while too
then, pound for pound, power for power the next 4 best saws made are
husqvarna 346xp
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husqvarna 3120xp
i have no experience with dolmar but i hear good things

Ok, how does everyone feel about husky in the big boxes. Is it the same quality? To me, once something goes to the big box stores, it has to lose some value or quality to fit their structures. Obviously it's well documented there's no customer service after the sale their, but what about the saw that's sold?

I applaud Stihl for not whorring out to the big box.

All in all, I'm such an ametuer, I'm happy with any good running saw in my hand, and dreamed of the day I finally owned a Stihl, and I'm definitely a Stihl guy since, but I would waiger I'd be just as happy with a husky, dolmar, or any quality saw, as long as the wood gets cut.

Now, I'm an auto mechanic, and there's a huge difference in tools, and there's many tools I won't even waste my time looking at, Craftsmen is a quality tool to most, and it doesn't even come close to cutting it in my environment. I would say my opinion in saws would compare the same compared to professional tree workers opinions.

stihl may not have "whored out" but their consumer saws are junk on a level par with or below a husky consumer model
companies with stock have a legal and moral obligation to the shareholders to make money
if you want a good stihl it needs to say made in germany
if you want a good husqvarna it needs to be an xp

husqvarna 346xp
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husqvarna 3120xp

Thats looks good except for the 460 part. Not to say its bad or anything, but IMO, a 372 is better....

They both make some great saws and some not so great saws. It's a Ford vs Chevy thing really. I run both, but I have to say my favorite saw to run is my Husky 346xp. It is one ballsy little saw in a small, lightweight package.

husqvarna 346xp
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husqvarna 3120xp

So, why the Echo climber hands down?

They both make some great saws and some not so great saws. It's a Ford vs Chevy thing really. I run both, but I have to say my favorite saw to run is my Husky 346xp. It is one ballsy little saw in a small, lightweight package.

I am with you on the Ford/Chevy analogy. I feel the same about my 026.

Different "Attitude" in the cut, different feel due to the AV. and in some cases a big difference in the way they are laid out.

I like them both, for thier own reasons, but lean towards the Huskys.

Run a couple, and see.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Best post yet. Hello! Run one. Anyone have a 346 or 372 I can borrow? I live in Seattle (joke).

Tell me how better, please. I am running an old beat up 460 now, that starts good and screams. Heard a lot of good about the 372.

Well,for starters the 372 is smoother and faster.....and a lot lighter........so, tell me AGAIN why the 460 is the best LOL, now dont get me wrong, the 460 is a super saw no doubt. But the best? No way man. The 372 may even be bested by the Dolmar 7900 but just no way in heck is the 460 better than either a 7900 or 372xp/372xpw

Last edited:
ive talked about the echo in other posts
theyre just set up better the way i use my climber, the things i do with it, simply arent possible with any other saw
they also are pretty bullet proof
theyre easy to work on
and they have a better warranty
as for 460 vs 372, ive found the 460 to be much more torquey
460 will also last forever, we have one thats 6 or 7 years old and still runs like the day we bought it
id love to run a dolmar 7900, ive heard theyre awesome, also heard they cant get them to pass emissions...

Last edited:
Well,for starters the 372 is smoother and faster.....and a lot lighter........so, tell me AGAIN why the 460 is the best LOL, now dont get me wrong, the 460 is a super saw no doubt. But the best? No way man. The 372 may even be bested by the Dolmar 7900 but just no way in heck is the 460 better than either a 7900 or 372xp/372xpw

Until now, no one said the 460 is the best (though I would bet on it every time with a 24" bar and full skip standard chisel chain against any comparable saw out there at this point). The 46 has 76 cc's versus your 372's mere 70, while the 372 weights not even a pound less. I almost forgot the say: the 46, she sure is pretty. Your vote of confidence in the 372 definitely has me curious, though. And I may be converted at some point. Lighter is nice, but my priority is speed through the wood, when the poundage is close. Thanks for the good debate. All in good fun, bloke.
C

Saws are saws,it is dealers that make a brand good or bad. Stihl has yet to sell it's corporate soul to the box store,Husqvarna did. If it does the job brand is not important,if it is not doing the job buy a more power full saw or different brand. The 046-460 is nice all purpose saw easy to work on they last forever with simple maintenance.

Saws are saws,it is dealers that make a brand good or bad.

Really???? If you have studied economics you will understand there are multiple components to branding and that the distribution outlet is just one small segment. To create a successful brand that stands out, you need several factors:

A) Create an unique value for your product
B) Differentiate your product from others
C) Have a single marketing message (i.e. Stihl's "The #1 Selling Brand of Handheld Outdoor Power Equipment in America!").
D) Honor your promise by meeting expectations

To describe it in diamond terms, a brand should have clarity, character and consistency. All the above is meaningless unless you have a quality product that meets the needs of consumers and provides value for the money.

If what HBRN was saying were true, low end Poulan products could be turned into a good brand simply by finding better dealers and he would be happy cutting with a Wild Thing. Dealers are merely one distribution channel and are not involved in research and development or manufacturing, key components of creating a lasting product to build a brand around.

I wish people would limit their comments to matters of which they have knowledge (or that at least pass the sniff test).

I think Hillbilly was speaking within the context of this thread, stihl, husky and so on. I don't think he meant a good dealer is going to make a wild thing a better saw.

Same is true in my business. Snap on, Matco, Mac, Cornwell is all just about the same now, and I say all the time, "we're buying the tool man" I buy from the guy that gives better service, has more selection, and gives quicker warranty replacements. In this example, sears craftsmen, harbor freight and so on are not even in context whatsoever. In this example, you put a Matco and Snap on ratchet next to eachother, they will have differences, but are both top of the line tools.

I would agree the better saw, speaking of quality brands, is going to be where you get better service. I have two Stihl dealers very close, and one is fantastic. I have no husky or others. If I buy a Husky saw at Lowes, what am I going to get for service compared to if I buy a Stihl? I bought Stihl, if the tables were backwards, I'd handle the husky, and most likely buy that instead of a Stihl if the service wasn't there.

Back