Stihl vs. Husqu

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best post yet. Hello! Run one. Anyone have a 346 or 372 I can borrow? I live in Seattle (joke).

Yeah man, i have a brand new 365xt (same as the 372) and an 044 for comparison, and my buddy's like brand new 046 if you want! What the hell, its not like you'd steal em or anything? You can use em like you stole em though. just fooling. I live near seattle too lol.

I run both. Huskys: 338xpt, 357xp, 576xp, 395xp and 3120xp. Stihl: 200T's, backpack blower and polesaws. I run 200t's all day long over the 338xpt. 338 is just a back up that sits in the truck. Went in to a local stihl dealer years ago to buy a couple saws and it was like I was bothering the guy! He didnt seem to care if he sold a saw or not!! Service was junk! Went down the road to the local husky dealer and dealing there I get excellent service and prices on saws and have a great relationship with the staff.Everytime I need something they are all over it. In the meantime I found another stihl dealer that gives me great service and prices. I bought my 200T's, backpack blower and polesaws off him and he gives me a good deal on oil and files. I was in Lowes one day and just for the heck of it I asked the guy how it works if I buy a saw there and it needs repair. He told me if its still under warranty you bring it in and they send it away to be fixed. I dont really care if husky is in big box. You wont find any XP's there. Any one can walk into a stihl dealer and buy a cheapo too! They get the 30cc saw, carrying case, extra chain and a hat! You would be surprised how many people I see around with a stihl hat on! They have the 30cc saw to go with it.

stihl may not have "whored out" but their consumer saws are junk on a level par with or below a husky consumer model
companies with stock have a legal and moral obligation to the shareholders to make money
if you want a good stihl it needs to say made in germany
if you want a good husqvarna it needs to be an xp[/QUOTE

I wouldn't go that far as to it needing to be either a German made saw, or an XP husky. I have both, and i also have both american versions of their landowner, consumer grade whatever too and have no problems. Why not buy a pro saw if you can though, right? The key is though, make sure you buy them from a respectable, helpful dealer. They are no more expensive than the box stores and generally cheaper because of low overhead. I prefer husqvarna for a few reasons but my dealer makes all the difference when i switched back to husky from stihl. The owner is there everyday, with one mechanic and those are the two most dedicated guys i know to that business. They really go the extra mile to make sure i'm satisfied. When i bought my 365xt a few weeks ago, they not only sold it to me for nearly $100 off the msrp, but they realised it had a square ground chain, which they weren't supposed to be on there(i prefered it anyway) but husqvarna sent my dealer a brand new chain FREE to me for the saw because of the mistake. Also, I do enjoy the more advanced air filtration, anti vibration and lower weight of the Husqvarna's. But would take a stihl anyday as well. Like em both but husqvarna has the edge in a few places, Some people complain about the quality of new generation of husqvarnas but i believe they are great and have had nothing but production with mine. And they oil very well too. Also, the dealer sent out demo saws to the local fire departments who have been dedicated stihl users, well guess who just placed a big order of brand new Husqvarna's! ;) That says something right there if you ask me.

Troythetreeman. Great post, and very helpful. I may be running some xp model in the next season.

Echo?

IMO echo cs341 is hands down the best climber
stilh 200t does have more power and is very durable. also discontinued
might be back tho, echo discontinued the then cs 3400 for a while too
then, pound for pound, power for power the next 4 best saws made are
husqvarna 346xp
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husqvarna 3120xp
i have no experience with dolmar but i hear good things

The only thing I would use an echo for is a wheel chock.

Go on ebay find as many 20 year old Husqy saws that that you can. After an hour you may have 4 or 5 for sale that run. In 5 minutes you can find 50 stihl saws 20 plus years old, that run like the day they walked out of the dealer... That is the real difference. I guess you could take a chance that the new husqy saws are made to last, but the old ones sure werent.

Of course, that is probably true. Dare we ask why?

My guess is that all the old husqy owners still want to hang onto their saw, whereas the Stihl owners are tired of fixing the damn thing with OMG expensive parts.
*****************************************************************************************

...I'm not digging on Stihl. They're ok, but I do prefer the Husqy's. My closest Stihl dealer sucks. Call for a part, and they ALWAYS tell you that Brad will have to call us back. Two days later...

I call Bailey's for Husqy parts, then I get my order placed right away and direct shipped to me faster than a Stihl part shows up at the local dealer.
*****************************************************************************************

Yes! I have lots of both brands, and I do have my favorites: Mid size: Husqy 357xp, big saw 3120xp, Stihl 020 or 200t for climbing.

Small ground saw favorite: Shindaiwa 488 is really hard to beat.

The only thing I would use an echo for is a wheel chock.

they do make good wheel chocks
you take the tools you want into a tree, ill take the tools i want
ive climbed with 200t, climbed with 192t, i hate them
i dont know anyone who prefers a husky climber, must be a reason for that
never ran one myself, held a few new ones tho, dont like those either

they do make good wheel chocks
you take the tools you want into a tree, ill take the tools i want
ive climbed with 200t, climbed with 192t, i hate them
i dont know anyone who prefers a husky climber, must be a reason for that
never ran one myself, held a few new ones tho, dont like those either

i prefer a husky climber. Started with husky 8 years ago, still use a 338.
I've borrowed a stihl 200 a few times, just didn't feel right. definitely had power, just not for me.
I also used a co-workers echo a few times, his didn't have enough balls to trim my toenails.
To each his own, if it makes you money, what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Of course, that is probably true. Dare we ask why?

My guess is that all the old husqy owners still want to hang onto their saw, whereas the Stihl owners are tired of fixing the damn thing with OMG expensive parts.

...I'm not digging on Stihl. They're ok, but I do prefer the Husqy's. My closest Stihl dealer sucks. Call for a part, and they ALWAYS tell you that Brad will have to call us back. Two days later...

I call Bailey's for Husqy parts, then I get my order placed right away and direct shipped to me faster than a Stihl part shows up at the local dealer.

Yes! I have lots of both brands, and I do have my favorites: Mid size: Husqy 357xp, big saw 3120xp, Stihl 020 or 200t for climbing.

Small ground saw favorite: Shindaiwa 488 is really hard to beat.

If the 357xp if comparable to the stihl 46, I may have to try one. You know the price on a new one?

The first Stihl saw I came into contact with was an 031,way back in the mid 80's.Up until then,we had run homelites on the farm.My buddy pulled out that stihl and thumped me up on the cordwood pile.It had a much higher chain speed,more power,and looked way sexier than my ole red.I had to git me one. Not long after that,maybe 5 years or so,I encountered a Husky 266xp.I was friends with a ski lodge owner,and used the 266 to help him clear trails.I carried that saw for a few seasons like a marine carries a rifle,and it was unbelievably reliable.Some idiot ran it over with a backhoe and bent the bar 45 degrees to the motor....I distinctly remember straightening it back to original(somewhat) between the dozer tracks,pulling the rope,and it started right up.I was in love.When you've got a job to do,equipment reliability is the most important aspect,and that impressed me tremendously. I will always be partial to stihls,and I adore my 056....but if I were to go out and buy a chainsaw,I'd have to say my money would go to the husky.In my experience,they are tough as nails and are less demanding than the stihl,attributes that are desirable when you are chopping in the backwoods far from the shop.Ultimately it is a matter of personal preference as to what you like,saws fit their owners like a glove fits a hand,and both will get the job done very well,but the husky is to saws what the AK-47 is to assault rifles.....run it over,drag it through the mud,beat it profusely....and it will be there when you need it.

357xp doesnt hold a candle it the 460 magnum imo

Of course it doesn't. A 460 magnum carries a 36" bar very nicely; which in my opinion, makes it a big saw. Heck, a 460 is even bigger than the 372xp.

The 357xp, however, is a dandy saw to have setup with a 18"-20" bar, and then just roar through the job of chopping up some fallen brush, or working a slope for clearing. They aren't bad up in a tree for bigger limbs, either. I don't always want a BIG saw, sometimes I like a mid sized saw that runs great and handles well.

In my fleet of saws, that would be a 357xp.

Of course it doesn't. A 460 magnum carries a 36" bar very nicely; which in my opinion, makes it a big saw. Heck, a 460 is even bigger than the 372xp.

The 357xp, however, is a dandy saw to have setup with a 18"-20" bar, and then just roar through the job of chopping up some fallen brush, or working a slope for clearing. They aren't bad up in a tree for bigger limbs, either. I don't always want a BIG saw, sometimes I like a mid sized saw that runs great and handles well.

Good point. In all fairness, the 046 is a different class of saw. The 357xp looks comparable to the stihl 261. And actually the 357 looks like it has a little better power to weight ratio.

right
i run 5 saws
echo cs341, i know it doesnt have the power of a 200t, but it is on par with a 192t and i like the way they feels a lot better, and its easier to start
husky 350, which ill replace with a 346xp come time, these are my 2 go to saws in the tree
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husky 3120xp

ive run a lot of saws over the years, these are the ones i find to be pound for pound, the best you can have

the fair husky to stihl comparison is 372xp to 460, husky doesnt compare imo
same as 360 isnt a 350
the 88 is crap compared to a 3120
and a 395xp isnt better then a 660 magnum

and yes, i have ran every saw mentioned here both on the ground and in a tree
they are all good saws, i dont like the way top handle stihls feel and i hate the switch placement
88s i find poorly balanced, especially when held on their side, they also lack the hand oiler stock on a 3120 and they arent as torquey

right
i run 5 saws
echo cs341, i know it doesnt have the power of a 200t, but it is on par with a 192t and i like the way they feels a lot better, and its easier to start
husky 350, which ill replace with a 346xp come time, these are my 2 go to saws in the tree
stihl 460 magnum
stihl 660 magnum
husky 3120xp

ive run a lot of saws over the years, these are the ones i find to be pound for pound, the best you can have

the fair husky to stihl comparison is 372xp to 460, husky doesnt compare imo
same as 360 isnt a 350
the 88 is crap compared to a 3120
and a 395xp isnt better then a 660 magnum

and yes, i have ran every saw mentioned here both on the ground and in a tree
they are all good saws, i dont like the way top handle stihls feel and i hate the switch placement
88s i find poorly balanced, especially when held on their side, they also lack the hand oiler stock on a 3120 and they arent as torquey

Troy. That is a pretty impressive collection. A bit jealous here. I've got the 192t, 260, 460 combination going (did have the 660 but burned it, sadly). Tell me more about the "feels better" with the Echo cs431 versus the 192. I am looking at an trying an Echo climber. Thanks.

the feel is hard to describe
the handle is bigger, there isnt an air cleaner there, this makes it much easier and safer to switch it from hand to hand
the way mine is set up i only need 2 hands on it when removing it from my belt and when i start it
with the stihl the switch is up top, so youre going to kill it inadvertently sometimes
also if youre gripping it with your thumb around the handle, you need to change your grip to kill it
the switch can also "stick" if you dont push on it square, like trying to close a drawer by pushing on an edge and not in the center
with the echo the switch is in a place you wont kill it inadvertently, but you can kill it in a "panic" without changing your grip on the handle
then, once its off, no matter what position im in, i only need one hand to return it to my belt
echos can be tempermental, after years of running them i know instantly whats wrong and how to fix it and seldom does a screw fall out on me before i see its loose and retighten it
but for as hard as i run those little saws i got no complaints, like most climbers im sure, i do have 2, brought it in for warranty work once, i just dropped it off and bought another one on my way out the door
they come with a 5 year consumer and 1 year commercial warranty, if you average 2 tanks a day, 5 days a week, theyll last that year before theyre so tired you buy a new one

@ PDQDL, That shindawa, can ya give me the down low on it! I have their best hedge trimmer, I love it, pricey, but worth every penny

also, with any saw, i like to run 91 octane around a 30-1 mix vs the recommended 89 @ 50-1
i think they run better and longer

any news about the elusive t540xp? is that saw ever going to hit the market here in the states?

@ PDQDL, That shindawa, can ya give me the down low on it! I have their best hedge trimmer, I love it, pricey, but worth every penny

Shindaiwa 488 is a rather light, powerful little clearing saw. An excellent choice for a groundie, slope clearing, working by a woodpile, or just hanging out by the chipper to clear the stuff that won't go through. Ideal bar: 18"

It starts and runs very reliably, although it does not scream like so many of the expensive pro saws. It does, however, have some really high compression. Mine will yank itself out of your hands if you are too casual about pull starting it. Many years ago, my brother-in-law purchased a Craftsman saw sporting a 24" bar, which he was very proud of. I explained to him that bar size does not indicate how much saw that you really bought, and that it was still a cheap homeowner saw. When he got an opportunity to use my little Shindaiwa 488, he sheepishly asked me to sell him one (I was a dealer for them at the time). He is still using it to cut wood for regular wood burning to heat his log cabin. It has outlasted several Stihls in use by the same family.

I have had mine since 1997, and I don't think I have ever fixed anything on it. I mean ZERO repairs in 15 years of professional use (or more often, use by poorly qualified idiots hired by me to do professional work.) It might be a nightmare to work on, for all I know, 'cause I don't think it has ever seen a screwdriver or a wrench. ...maybe a pull rope? It seems impossible for a rope to last that long...

Some years back, I needed a reliable small saw to run my capstan rope winch. The 488 got bolted up, and hasn't seen a cutting bar since. It seems to be just the right size for that application: big enough to pull a good load, not so big that it will break the device before it stalls.

Other Shindaiwas that I have owned:

357 top handle: heavy, underpowered, choke mechanism inclined to fail. Bounces better (undamaged) than any other climbing saw.
577: good midsized saw.
757: good larger saw; almost an equal to the Husqvarna 372 in power and weight. One of my preferred saws over the years; mine had problems keeping the muffler bolts in.

Back