Stihl vs. Husqu

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any news about the elusive t540xp? is that saw ever going to hit the market here in the states?

I was wondering about that too. My brother got tired of waiting and had to buy a 362 (stihl) instead. If they get the 540 kinks worked out, it could be one of the better all-around mid range saws.

IMO, husky's do seem to cut faster, but in the long run, I'd say Stihls have the advantage of being more rugged and reliable and an all around better saw. Husky's are good too. I've also heard very good things about Dolmars. Might want to look into those.

IMO, husky's do seem to cut faster, but in the long run, I'd say Stihls have the advantage of being more rugged and reliable and an all around better saw. Husky's are good too. I've also heard very good things about Dolmars. Might want to look into those.

"an all around better saw" In my experience Husqvarna is better than Stihl. Pretty much hands down. But thats just my experience.:msp_tongue:
Things Ive noticed Husqvarna bein a little better than Stihl are: Faster, better antivibe, better air, better oiling, but those are trivial at most...... :hmm3grin2orange::potstir:

Last edited:
"an all around better saw" In my experience Husqvarna is better than Stihl. Pretty much hands down. But thats just my experience.:msp_tongue:
Things Ive noticed Husqvarna bein a little better than Stihl are: Faster, better antivibe, better air, better oiling, but those are trivial at most...... :hmm3grin2orange::potstir:

I think both have their advantages, but when it comes to chainsaws, I still prefer stihl. What do you think about Dolmar? I've never used one, but I have heard great things about them.

I think both have their advantages, but when it comes to chainsaws, I still prefer stihl. What do you think about Dolmar? I've never used one, but I have heard great things about them.

They are a fine saw from what I hear. Ive ran a 7300 and really liked it. However, Ive heard both bad and good about them regarding logging applications. And thats all im gonna say. Sure as hell aint openin that can a worms.......oh yeah, ive also ran a 5105. Nice saw as well.

probably been mentioned but external clutches waist time, i have a 346 and 4 stihls, i dont mind the husky at all just one of those things

So, pound for pound, you would say husqys spin/cut faster?

From what little Ive saw, yes. :msp_w00t:

huskys do run higher rpm, they arent as torquey as a 46 or a 66 tho in comparable cc range
its like saying all chevys are better then all fords, some guys do say that, doesnt make it so
they both build some things great and they both build a few things that are junk

probably been mentioned but external clutches waist time, i have a 346 and 4 stihls, i dont mind the husky at all just one of those things

how exactly does an eternal clutch cost you time? been my experience if the chain comes off huskys are easier, and if youre changing a chain the steps are just reversed, husky goes on the drive then the bar, stihl goes on the bar and then the drive
and as far as maintenance goes, stihl has a lot of stuff that wears out husky doesnt with that drive
the bearing, the drive gear, the washer holding it on...

The last husky I owned, I threw out of the tree... If I had two of them, I'd #### on one and cover it up with the other!!! :rock: :hmm3grin2orange: :potstir:

huskys do run higher rpm, they arent as torquey as a 46 or a 66 tho in comparable cc range
its like saying all chevys are better then all fords, some guys do say that, doesnt make it so
they both build some things great and they both build a few things that are junk

I'm liking the higher rpm concept. Is there a good husky climber you would suggest?

I have 8 Stihls and 2 Echos, next saws will be Jonsred, those thing are bad azz. Completely sealed air intake, TURBO, big power but big price

Well,for starters the 372 is smoother and faster.....and a lot lighter........so, tell me AGAIN why the 460 is the best LOL, now dont get me wrong, the 460 is a super saw no doubt. But the best? No way man. The 372 may even be bested by the Dolmar 7900 but just no way in heck is the 460 better than either a 7900 or 372xp/372xpw

Hi All
I have had them all and have a number of each now and day in day out the 460 is the saw that produces best for us. They use more fuel than some of the others I will give that, but at the end of the day they seam to lay more wood on the ground with less repair expense than all the others put to gather. The 460s are the saws the guys grab out of the saw trailer first, that tells me they are the most productive and most trouble free.

Was it because it wouldn't start?

Exactly. And the spark plug cover kept coming off, it would zap me every now and then, the exhaust was routed funky to where you were always breathing it. Just not a great saw for climbing.

But really, I just posted that to get a rise out of the Husky guys, lol.

Hi All
...are the saws the guys grab out of the saw trailer first, that tells me they are the most productive and most trouble free.

I find that my employees are often fooled into thinking Stihl is best. They will load up the truck with old beat-up Stihl saws that are not even in good service, all while walking past a fleet of Husqies that are ready to go. When these same fellows get to the job, if a saw is problematic, they cuss the mechanic for not making it run right if it's a Stihl, and they cuss whatever brand of saw it otherwise.

I've had better luck with Husqvarna saws over the years, but I really don't think that any one brand is provably better than the other. If it's a professional quality saw, it is probably plenty good enough to do the job. The fact that some folks can only see one color is what helps makes chainsaw manufacturers lazy. If they weren't counting on brand loyalty, each new model that comes out would probably be better than the last. Too bad that isn't always true.

Myself, I like whatever saw runs well, and I find that includes almost all the saws that I have tried.

I cut down two trees today helpin my cousin out he has a Hus 455 rancher that saws been used maybe a half a dozen times at most, he brought it out it wouldnt start then when he got it started and reved it up it wouldnt stay :bang: running just was giving him so many problems. Ive got two stihls both have been through hell and both start and run no prob husq have a higher rpm but are so promblematic. you wanna have a saw last buy a stihl.

FYI, anyone that tells you that Husky is turning more RPM's than Stihl does not know their ass from a hole in the ground. RPM's are Stihl's claim to fame. Torque is Husky's.

FYI, anyone that tells you that Husky is turning more RPM's than Stihl does not know their ass from a hole in the ground. RPM's are Stihl's claim to fame. Torque is Husky's.

Thats funny its was explained to me once the complete opposite, cant remember who prob a husky person!

Back