stihl wood boss 028 AV air filter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl smilen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an older wood boss 028 AV. This saw has been my go to saw for many years, It has been great to me. I have always struggled with air filters clogging. I do have the fleece filters. The old cork or whatever it was filter met the trash can many years ago. My solution has always been to have A few filters on hand, Then split them and blow them out at the end of the weekend so they would be ready for the next round. I'm just wondering if there is anybody out there with some tips mods or tricks for improving on the amount of chips this filter sucks in. I have no filter problems with my 260 pro or my 290. I guess I should just retire old boss, it's earned it. Any info or suggestions would be most welcome! Glad to have found this website. Knowledge is power! Thanks, Shawn

My 028s are my most favorite saws to run, good power to weight and dead reliable. I hear you with the air filtration, or lack thereof. Stihl did make some carb covers with a flexible shroud extending over the cylinder cover. I'm not sure if this was more for warm air on an arctic version or for better filtration. I suppose a guy could make his own out of say a milk-jug or something similar and rivet the shroud to the cover. Guess I just take it for what it is, and try and keep an eye on it and keep it as clean as I can.

Welcome to AS!

Latest posts

Back