Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug044

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my father, was an arborist! Went to Paul smiths college. Unfortunately he passed away befor I could truly appreciate his knowledge. He left me with 020av top handle which I put the wrong gas in, scored the piston. I hope to get it fixed and restored. He also left me a 041 farmboss which I’ve been told has electrical issues. I love those saws. I recently purchased a ms193t but want a better saw. Any one out there that can give advice I have lots of questions. Thank you. I’m young and have so many questions!

So my father, was an arborist! Went to Paul smiths college. Unfortunately he passed away befor I could truly appreciate his knowledge. He left me with 020av top handle which I put the wrong gas in, scored the piston. I hope to get it fixed and restored. He also left me a 041 farmboss which I’ve been told has electrical issues. I love those saws. I recently purchased a ms193t but want a better saw. Any one out there that can give advice I have lots of questions. Thank you. I’m young and have so many questions!

what do you mean by a better saw than a 193t? What are you lookin for? did you take the 041 in to be told it was electrical?

I am curious as well, what could an 041 have for an electrical problem other than the switch not grounding to the case?

Put a new condenser in the 041 check points, clean the cylinder up and a new piston in the 020 (could turn out good), a 193 is ok, a 192 is better less EPA additions. DO a lot of reading here and learn from some mistakes and you will be fine. You have a lot of interest and want to learn so that is good. I personally like the Stihl saws with a zero at the front or a zero at the end of the model number.

Put a new condenser in the 041 check points, clean the cylinder up and a new piston in the 020 (could turn out good), a 193 is ok, a 192 is better less EPA additions. DO a lot of reading here and learn from some mistakes and you will be fine. You have a lot of interest and want to learn so that is good. I personally like the Stihl saws with a zero at the front or a zero at the end of the model number.
I see all these saws and the reviews every one is different I’m looking to spend 300-400 on a saw what should I be looking for cause I’m sooo confused

I see all these saws and the reviews every one is different I’m looking to spend 300-400 on a saw what should I be looking for cause I’m sooo confused
What are you confused about? What will you be using this $300-$400 saw for? Just around the house here and there? Wood cutting? Etc.. don’t be confused. Ask the questions you need to get unconfused. If I can help I will. I have learned a lot from this forum and a lot of people will tell you to search for your issues. They are on here but most the time it’s all scattered. Can be a pain to find exactly what your looking for. Just ask man.

I’m not that handy and don’t wanna ruin it more I was quoted at 300 to fix!
It's honestly not that hard if you're at all interested in doing it yourself. No reason to pay somebody else to fix it when it's easy to do you yourself. Just remove the cylinder bolts. Pull the the cylinder off. The cylinder may be salvageable. Take a Dremel and a flap disk and remove the aluminum transfer on the cylinder until it looks new. () Remove the piston circlips, pull the wrist pin out and remove the piston. Replace the piston with a new OEM or meteor. Put yamabond where the cylinder attaches to the case. Replace the cylinder gasket if you want. Put the cylinder back on. Now you're good to go. It's not rocket surgery

Really the first thing people need to know in order to help you and provide the most applicable opinions, is what do you need saw(s) for?

You've got some old awesome Stihls, if you don't want to have to deal with them surely you can sell them and if you want something that is new(er) and will run great with minimal maintenance and less chance they might fail on you, there are lots of options. If the old saws have sentimental value, everyone understands and can help you fix them. There's probably someone you could meet from on here in your area if you need more "pro" help and experience - I see lots of folks on here from NJ.

What do you need to cut? And how often? If you just want to have cool saws around, very lightly used if at all..... well you're in the right place too :)

My opinion, sounds like the 041 should get fixed first - could be simple (points and/or condensor, ground wire/op switch). There are some posts here even recently about those saws. And I think they can be modified to add a more modern ignition system to it.

The 020 will obviously be a lot more work. After you fix the 041 and it is good to go, take the 020 apart - see what the cylinder looks like. Hard lesson to learn - never straight gas and if anyone else ever uses a person's saw, they better be 100% informed of what to use and how to do it (the basics of the saw, and how to cut), or given the supplies so they don't do that. It's the same thing when you have a diesel truck and you lend it to your buddy so they can move or haul something big. They think they are being gracious and fill it up with gasoline! WOOF. quick failures

You want to spend $300-$400 to just have a working saw it appears to me. I would sell the others and get a nice condition MS250 for $200-$300. Also make sure it does not get straight gassed.

Really the first thing people need to know in order to help you and provide the most applicable opinions, is what do you need saw(s) for?

You've got some old awesome Stihls, if you don't want to have to deal with them surely you can sell them and if you want something that is new(er) and will run great with minimal maintenance and less chance they might fail on you, there are lots of options. If the old saws have sentimental value, everyone understands and can help you fix them. There's probably someone you could meet from on here in your area if you need more "pro" help and experience - I see lots of folks on here from NJ.

What do you need to cut? And how often? If you just want to have cool saws around, very lightly used if at all..... well you're in the right place too :)

My opinion, sounds like the 041 should get fixed first - could be simple (points and/or condensor, ground wire/op switch). There are some posts here even recently about those saws. And I think they can be modified to add a more modern ignition system to it.

The 020 will obviously be a lot more work. After you fix the 041 and it is good to go, take the 020 apart - see what the cylinder looks like. Hard lesson to learn - never straight gas and if anyone else ever uses a person's saw, they better be 100% informed of what to use and how to do it (the basics of the saw, and how to cut), or given the supplies so they don't do that. It's the same thing when you have a diesel truck and you lend it to your buddy so they can move or haul something big. They think they are being gracious and fill it up with gasoline! WOOF. quick failures
Thank you so much, I wanna get into falling trees and climbing but I mainly use my ms193 t for fire wood but the o20 and the 041 are sentimental! Id like to learn more! That’s all. Gonna have to take a day and really dive into this forum, you guys are great!

The members on here can walk you through or help with any problems these saws have. There is no issues those saws could have that havn`t been seen or fixed by the guys on here. My experience with saw repair started around 1962 til present, have seen almost every type of failure possible.

Back