Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better than I was thinking but still - ouch. You must have the wood for it though. I bet it feels bloody good to be taking some grunt work out of the day and be more productive at the same time. That's a fairly good load on that belt when the hopper is full. Any probs moving the belt or wood? Or how about rounds falling out at the splitter end and damaging gear? That's always been a concern of mine when pulling from piles significantly higher than the splitter - some of the gum rings can do a heap of damage if they fall off when you are not expecting it.

Did you look at converting a forage /feedout wagon?

Better than I was thinking but still - ouch. You must have the wood for it though. I bet it feels bloody good to be taking some grunt work out of the day and be more productive at the same time. That's a fairly good load on that belt when the hopper is full. Any probs moving the belt or wood? Or how about rounds falling out at the splitter end and damaging gear? That's always been a concern of mine when pulling from piles significantly higher than the splitter - some of the gum rings can do a heap of damage if they fall off when you are not expecting it.

Did you look at converting a forage /feedout wagon?

Ya bloke no more lifting blocks.
Yes have concerns about blocks falling but havnt used it enough yet to work out modds so will be an on going fix.

Andrew, I've been surprised how well Kermit (my Bilke S3 processor) handles small, bent/twisted gum branches, especially if green. Up to about 5" but I wouldn't feed it 100% 5" stuff all day long as it's a bit too hard on it. Was worried it would be an arse to feed it bent wood. But apart from the near-right angled knuckles that some branches can have, it eats the branches well. I guess with the amount of timber you have to get through it's not really worth bothering to sort through the small stuff, perhaps just slash pile it and burn instead? But it does pay for itself quite well in the small stuff that hardly seems worth pointing a chainsaw at when there are bigger branches and logs to split. With one person occupied feeding it from a log pile, it'll do about 4-6 cube an hour with bent wood. Which given the size of the sticks is pretty good for not having to touch them with a chainsaw. But in your operation probably not worth the extra hassle.

Andrew, I've been surprised how well Kermit (my Bilke S3 processor) handles small, bent/twisted gum branches, especially if green. Up to about 5" but I wouldn't feed it 100% 5" stuff all day long as it's a bit too hard on it. Was worried it would be an arse to feed it bent wood. But apart from the near-right angled knuckles that some branches can have, it eats the branches well. I guess with the amount of timber you have to get through it's not really worth bothering to sort through the small stuff, perhaps just slash pile it and burn instead? But it does pay for itself quite well in the small stuff that hardly seems worth pointing a chainsaw at when there are bigger branches and logs to split. With one person occupied feeding it from a log pile, it'll do about 4-6 cube an hour with bent wood. Which given the size of the sticks is pretty good for not having to touch them with a chainsaw. But in your operation probably not worth the extra hassle.

We do use the branch wood down to about 4" diameter and up to 8" diameter in about 6 to 8 foot lengths then use a saw bench to cut to foot bits,ya still get the same money for it and a couple wood fired pizza places like it.

Latest posts

Back