ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Stihlman441, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Stihlman441

Stihlman441 Addicted to ArboristSite

Hi ya champ
    Ya still using the Superaxe
    Can make way more $ using the Lucas mill from solid trees than firewood,post and rail fences is the go over here

2. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Are you doing the fences too? Guys are doing that here with Macrocarpa which looks great for a few years then the posts rot out. If only there was a steady supply of ground durable trees to mill.

I'm still a year out from having seasoned lumber to play with but would like to be making more stuff over Winter, with the lumber I milled a year or more earlier. Just like firewood though, there's a lag between dropped tree and seasoned wood, so a bit of a struggle this year but hopefully will pay off next year onwards.

I agree mate, SFA in firewood here. You guys get far more for your than here, so firewood guys are doing it even tougher here. I have been looking hard at either going big or going home, and frankly, going big in firewood here is such a gamble it would take me winning lotto or not given a **** about anything or anyone else to risk the $. So, I'd rather investigate the value-add side of milling and see what comes of that.

Still need and love to do firewood, but as a sideline if possible. Absolutely loving milling. Nothing like opening a log to see what's inside.

Attached Files:

Stihlman441 likes this.