Stihlmans Wood,Tree cutting ramblings...........

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good Andrew. I ordered a brace of new hour meter/tachs for the new saws. I really like having those on my saws. They let you know, not think you know how a saw is cutting, by monitoring the rpms. I have really watched how I cut now and you can really fine tune your under load H screw setting on them and how you handle the saw, when you can see how it effects the rpms, not how you think it effects the rpms. Takes all the BS wondering or guessing out of tuning for best cutting speed, as you can see an actual number.

Have fun cutting,

Sam

Mine worked fine on the Mtronic until it hit the rev limiter, then it would go funny, but under normal load and idling it would do just fine and seemed to check correctly with the other saws. I never cut enough to check the hour meter, but I though it was about right. I'm getting some more Mtronic saws and will check them again. I talked with the higher ups at WorksConnection and they couldn't figure out why it didn't work correctly with the Mtronic system.

Sam

Im after another 441C or 461 depends on what it comes out with.

Yeah, I'm going to get a fleet of 441 CM's and try a 461 and get a 661 and now I have to get a 261, because my 260 got stolen, I look forward to getting the 261, I'm mad about the others. I didn't like my 260 after running that 261 ............... that is one nice little saw. The one I ran only had about 1 tank through it so it was only going to get better, the timing was advanced and the muffler modded and that is just a great combination. I have a great example of how Terry modded John's so I'll mod it after awhile. The 261 with Mtronics would the be greatest skidder saw ever made, tough, dust proof and always start quickly.

Sam

Andrew even your dirty saws look brand new! LOL! Hey I ordered some Stihl HD filters, partly because of the aussie threads on filters, and also my experience lately. I go all out on my saws at home clean the filter every outing. At work using a 046 mag the other day I let the old style filter which I cleaned the day before go a couple days in some good cutting. I was amazed how much fines got through. My shop siad they even have a special filter for aussies?? That was after me telling them about the Aussie threads on filtration. So is it the HD, or is there another better one? Thanks Norm.........

The only one that works is a HD2 filter.

attachment.php

Looking good Andrew. I ordered a brace of new hour meter/tachs for the new saws. I really like having those on my saws. They let you know, not think you know how a saw is cutting, by monitoring the rpms. I have really watched how I cut now and you can really fine tune your under load H screw setting on them and how you handle the saw, when you can see how it effects the rpms, not how you think it effects the rpms. Takes all the BS wondering or guessing out of tuning for best cutting speed, as you can see an actual number.

Have fun cutting,

Sam

Hey I'm with you Sam. I have to be honest that I thought they were a bit of a gimmick until I fitted a few to my saws. They really are a handy tool for sure. I found it really interesting to check the hours that I was putting on a saw and was surprised to find that I was actually putting more hours on them than I thought. I realised that I was spending less time refuelling and sharpening etc than I'd realised.

The 261 with Mtronics would the be greatest skidder saw ever made, tough, dust proof and always start quickly.

Sam

When that MS241CM gets here I was going to put it side by side with the MS261 and see If I could make the 261 a mtronic

I seem to remember a post with info on what was needed to turn a standard 441 into a 441 mtronic

Ha guys is this a Oak tree.

attachment.php
Nice tree, Oak for sure I looked in my book have a pretty good tree book from the audobon society. It looked similar to a net leaf oak, or a Mc donald Oak. I ruled out the netleaf because the average diameter is only one foot. The Mc Donald Oak is 40-100 feet tall, and average diameter is 3-4 feet. The leaves of the one you have shown look very similar. Is the hd 2 the same as the hd or are there two types of hd filters? The one you pictured looks just like what I ordered.

When that MS241CM gets here I was going to put it side by side with the MS261 and see If I could make the 261 a mtronic

I seem to remember a post with info on what was needed to turn a standard 441 into a 441 mtronic

david i think you would have too change the fly wheel think they have 2 magnets, hope there the same Diameter. but i'll stand corected on this

Hey I'm with you Sam. I have to be honest that I thought they were a bit of a gimmick until I fitted a few to my saws. They really are a handy tool for sure. I found it really interesting to check the hours that I was putting on a saw and was surprised to find that I was actually putting more hours on them than I thought. I realised that I was spending less time refuelling and sharpening etc than I'd realised.

Yeah, it is amazing how much hours get racked up on the saws that I never really knew or thought about. I have the means of keeping track of the trees per saw hour and fuel per hour and other factors that I couldn't do as easily before. I would keep better records of this, if I didn't have a skidder with a short skid, breathing down my neck all the time lately, there is no peace, LOL.

Sam

Good call on the Oak! I saw english in my book, but the leaves were harder to make out, Looks like it to me in your link, and good link and info by the way.

As you guys have found they help a lot to tune in the cut,i have worked out with the 261,460 and 660 the torque is in the fat (richer) tune set up.

Exactly on the richer is the better tune for work settings. For faster work cutting its the rpms it will hold in the cut under varied circumstances, not some free rev number, and it doesn' take much movement of the H screw to make a big difference.

What sucks here lately is, I set the carb for 30F in the morning then 50 in the afternoon, tonight its going to be 24F, so whatever settings that I set are only good for a little while. Oh how I love the Mtronic, its fast all the time and for every temperature.

Sam

Back