Stock Appearing Rules

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rolloman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What are the stock appearing rules that you all follow. I've heard a lot of different ones and would be interested in your areas and event rules for this. I am trying to
come up with some rules but don't have much experience with this thing. I am going to put these rules up and with your opinions and help edit them etc. to get a final set that will be reasonable to use.

1). Saw cannot compete in a class that is of lower displacement than what the saw
model number from the mfgr. states that it is.
2) If a saw has been bored or stroked such that the displacement is larger than
the class it is competing in regardless of the saws model number it will be
considered illegal.
3) Saws may compete in a class that is of larger displacement than what the
model number for the saw states. Rule #2 above still applies.
4) Saw must have originated from a Manufacturers model that was or is available
to the general public.
5) No pipes or expansion chambers allowed.
6) Modified stock mufflers allowed. Any modification here allowed as long as there
are no protrusions from the muffler outer covers or body that exeeds ?????.
A maximum no. of ?????? exhaust holes. Muffler must have originated from
the correct part number for the model of saw being used.
7) All stock covers must be in place.
8) No additional holes or openings allowed in the stock covers.

O.k. guys pick it apart, comment, add to it etc. As I said this is new territory for me and I need to learn.

Stock appearing rules varry from one competition to the next. I don't think they'll ever be standardized.
Most places I've been if it looks stock from 50 feet you're good to go. :laugh:
I don't think that limiting the number of holes in a muffler, or the part number being original for the saw would be a good rule. Most of them only have 2 holes the original, and one more. The part number thing would eliminate using an aftermarket muffler.
No holes in the covers would pretty much eliminate a 2 piece head. If you're going to not allow 2 piece heads, just say so (that's what they do at our show).

Andy

here's the rules we from a small show this year.....

Event #6 – 5 Cube Stock Appearing- Must be a serial numbered production chainsaw less than 82cc. No Tuned pipes. Stock covers must be in place. Same rules as open hotsaw.

Event #7- Open Hotsaw. There will be a 1 minute warm up. This is a dead start. Saw not running, competitors hands on the block. The competitor must have all eight fingers across the centerline of the block at the go signal. They will make 3 cuts in a down-up-down sequence. There will be a "3-2-1 Go!" start. Time starts when the competitors hands leave the block and ends when the third disc is severed.

What are the stock appearing rules that you all follow. I've heard a lot of different ones and would be interested in your areas and event rules for this. I am trying to
come up with some rules but don't have much experience with this thing. I am going to put these rules up and with your opinions and help edit them etc. to get a final set that will be reasonable to use.

1) Saw must be a serial numbered production saw from present or past time.

2) Saws actual displacement must be equal to or less than the upper displacement
limit of the class it is competing in regardless of the model number of the saw.

3) Stock covers must be in place.

4) Saw must be Stock appearing from a distance of 50 feet from all viewing angles.

5) Gasoline only.

O.K. Guys above is my abbrieviated version of the rules I started out with in the first post. I think it says the same things with the addition of your suggestions in less word. Keep the suggestions coming. In our area the saw is running there is not a dead start. Let me know how you all do it. Is it like troutfisher stated in his post in your area also.

Stock apearing anywhere around here doesn't limit fuel. It is just a production saw that fits the class, single carb, muffler, plastics in place, other rhan that run what you brung and hope you brung enough. If you do this no one will ever say the winner cheated. You start limiting fuel in my opinion it's a good way to start a pizzing match.

Troutfisher had a work saw class also at his show that was gas saws with working choke plate, air cleaner and muffler. That coulkd be another way to do it.

Yes, I could see how that could be. No fuel rules = one less thing to worry about enforcing. Any ideas or suggestions about how to enforce the displacement of saws in the particular classes?

I think the KEY to it is the word APPEARING,but I guess that would be left to the interpretation of those organising the show :msp_crying:
The displacement rule makes sense,not limiting the fuel makes sense,no tuned pipes is ok,where I see it getting "iffy" is when you start putting holes in the covers and having "horns"growing out of the muffler.
It's what it looks like (appearing) from the outside that matters (IMO),what happens "under the covers" is "kinda personal":msp_ohmy:

Steve

Latest posts

Back