StockBridge Climbing Preparation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He may be an old fart and I may have my disagreements with him from time to time but there's a lot you can learn from him, pup. Watch the 'tude.

I understand this, but I would rather get advice from someone else, TV STARTED this argument with his words. I was nice for a while but then I snapped because he just is 99% negative toward me and I'm not taking that. My attitude I believe is fair for what he has said to me. Look how it progressed^ I even called a truce!

Of course we do! we are just taking time out of our busy schedules to offer our kindly advice to the young lad..

And I am extremely appreciative over that, but TV claims this is for educated conversation NOT help or advice (look up you will see his words)
:hmm3grin2orange:

Treevets tactics for teaching are old school, he knows his #### you can learn alot from him.

Thats the old way; scolding and nagging to get you to prove yourself and step-up your game.

The question is PFA: How bad do you really want to be an arborist? Your just gonna have to prove him wrong and everyone else thats doubts you. You pull that off then you can thank Treevet and punch him in the teeth in one fell swoop. It's a love hate relationship.

All hes taught me is how to be nice (be the opposite of him) literally he has got almost nothing good to say and I REALLY REALLY want to help trees and work in them, that's all I do is name their species as we are driving down the road I'm always looking at trees and their shapes and pruning styles. I love trees!

Yeah, maybe one day Pink comes back slaps TV's dentures right out his mouth! lol.

I'm a passavist, I don't believe in violence BUT if someone threatens me feel free to punch me in the face I'm not going to run away and hide.

And good advice it is:cheers: Just hope PFA can read between the lines, I know when I was at that age I knew everything when it came to making good choices.:dizzy:

PFA is a step ahead of the rest if he keeps his goals at such a young age and doesn't smoke his brains out. Everything in moderation my friend and you will still be able to do those things when you're 35.

I liek to present my questions on a low level of knowledge I am unexperienced and know close to nothing and give you people the fullest credit. Feel free to talk down to me on my questions just not like TV! And YES moderation is everything that's how you become a loser, theres time for play and time for work. By the way in my signature.. that's a rollie cigarette :D

I've seen your pic and that was many hard trees ago EHHHHH?

Nope that photo was taken a few month's ago, and you wonder why knone will hire me I look very young. But when I am an old fart guess who will have the pretty ladies :cheers:

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

Last edited:
I'm not one to crap on getting an education. But i think the "arborist" colleges these days are doing a very poor job of preparing a graduate for the nitty-gritty of tree work. If you are planning on going on and becoming a professor, then fine. If you are planning to graduate and then take over a tree crew, that probably isn't going to happen for you, simply because you haven't been taught the skills. Sure it's nice to know the scientific names of tree or tree diseases, but i wish these colleges spent a little more time on knots, chippers, basic maintenance, saw usage, filing, raking, or one of the other hundreds of things needed to know to run a productive crew.
A story, may be a little long, may be a little exaggerated, but over 20 college climbers have been run through my crew over the years and all these things have happened.

Here's how your first day is going to go:

You get up at 4 am. The girlfriend (or boyfriend) #####es that you shouldn't have to get up this early since you have a college degree, then rolls over and goes back to sleep.
You arrive at the shop by 5 am. You were told yesterday when you were hired that you were going to be running your own crew, but you are going to spend your first week on another climber's crew just so he can evaluate you and you can get a feel for things. You meet the climber and when he asks if you have your gear, you start bragging about your $500 worth of gear (not knowing he has over $10k invested in the tools of his trade.) He doesn't look too impressed and cuts you off telling you to load your stuff in the truck.
Halfway to the first job, the climber pulls over and tells you to hop into the other truck because he is tired of hearing about the stupid stuff you did in college that you think was cool.
You arrive at the job by 6 am but are already feeling a little down because the groundies have told you repeatedly to shut the #### up, they are tired of listening to your crap. You do perk up a bit as you head to the back yard with the climber to check out the job. It's just an old oak that needs to be deadwooded. When the climber asks if you can handle it, you gush that it will not be a problem because one of your professors once talked about trimming a tree that was twice the size of this one. The climber just rolls his eyes and tells you to gear up. As you are pulling on your saddle, you notice the groundies pulling out a couple other ropes. You ask what those ropes are for and the climber looks a little pained. He tells you to pull a saw out of the saw box and he does seem to perk up a bit when you tell him you brought your own saw. His face falls as you pull out a handsaw.
The crew adjourns to the backyard while you spend the next fifteen minutes fiddling with your gear. As you enter the yard, you notice that it looks like the climber has started chain smoking. You set your line on the third try and quickly get up the tree. You are pleased with yourself and notice the climber is even smiling a bit now.
You get positioned to make your first cut. The climber asks if you want to rope it since there is a garage partially underneath the tree. You reply that a rope isn't needed, you'll just cut everything small enough to be handled, just like they taught you in college. The climber has stopped smiling.
A couple hours go by. You feel you are making good progress. The groundies have had to run for cigarettes twice now for the climber. You're feeling thirsty, so start to come down for a water break. The climber asks what's up and when you reply, he says to stay put, water will be sent up. You are kind of irked-you really need a break since you have never spent more than two hours in a saddle before, but you decide to just suck it up.
You keep working. Noon rolls around. The 300 pound owner shows up and starts yelling, wanting to know why you are still on a job that should have been done hours ago. The climber steps in on your behalf, calms the owner down and sends him on his way-maybe the climber is not such a jerk after all. You are feeling hungry so ask when lunch is. The climber replies you'll get a lunch when you've done a half a day's work. Ah, there's the guy you've come to dislike. You keep working but soon the groundies are complaining because you are cutting everything to the size of a pencil. You think they must be crazy-those uneducated apes don't know what they are talking about. You lay your handsaw on a piece of dead oak thicker than your thigh and the climber suddenly loses it. He tells you to get out of the tree, he'll finish the job. You think to yourself that you can finally take a break. But that dream is soon dashed when the climber tells you to start dragging brush. You angrily go to work, thinking to yourself that you were hired to climb. You are at first a little afraid of the chipper, but soon get into the swing of things, until you plug the chipper completely up. The groundies growl at you as they work to unplug it. Quicker than you would have believed possible, the climber is back on the ground and the tree is done. As the last of the wood gets chipped, he hands you a rake. You look at him dumbly wondering what you need to rake. You then get a very loud lesson on how to clean up yards. You think you hear him mutter a few words about the rake handle and your rectum, but you can't be sure.
You and the crew arrive at the next job. It's a medium sized box elder in the back yard that the owner wants taken down. As you and the climber are checking out the job, you realize that this may be a good time to impress him. You start rattling off the latin names and characteristics of the maple family. You see he isn't impressed, so you decide to pull out the big guns and start in on a lecture about the evils of removals that was very popular in college. He tells you the tree is just a weed and walks away from you while you are still talking. You are a little hurt, but soon see another target you can try the lecture on-the homeowner. You go running over and state your piece, proud that you've done your part to save this noble tree. You smile as you see the homeowner go over to talk with the climber but are surprised when the homeowner tells the climber that he still wants the tree down and if you guys don't want to do it, he'll find a different company. You think it was a little cruel when the climber tells the guy that you are an idiot and to just ignore you.
You do perk up though when the climber tells you to grab some spikes and go ahead and do the half of the tree that isn't over the fence. Maybe he thinks you aren't a total waste! You get the gear on in twenty minutes, record time for you. You see huge pieces of the tree are already on the ground so you hurry into the yard. The climber takes one look at you from up the tree and tells you to take your gear off and help the groundies. You are crushed, what did you do wrong? One of the groundies snidely ask if you were planning on climbing a hollow tree. That's when you realize your spikes are on the outside of your feet. You cover up you embarrassment by telling the groundie that since the proper way to climb trees was without spikes, this was only the third time you've worn them. The groundie may have muttered something about having to put up with another one who uses antigravity to chunk down stems.
After hanging the gear in the truck, you reenter the yard. The climber asks if you can run a rope. You have to honestly tell him no, so he tells you to start dragging brush. After your thirtieth trip to the curb, you begin to wish that someone had taught you to run a rope-it looks so much easier than dragging brush. Your daydream is rudely interrupted by the climber yelling at you to stop being a wuss and haul more than one piece of brush at a time. A dozen trips later and you are in the yard when a piece is roped almost right at your feet. You jump in to untie the know, but are having problems. The branch has rolled over and the bowline is not loosening up. After struggling for a few seconds, one of the groundies nudges you aside and with a quick wrist flip the knot is undone. Another thing you wished you had been taught.
The job goes smoothly, you have learned the tricks of the chipper and brush dragging from the last job. Plus you feel a burst of energy because it is almost 5 pm and you know the day is almost over. As you are putting the last of the ropes away, you excitedly mention to the climber that it's time to go home. He just looks at you and laughs.

(continued)

You wonder what's going on during the ride, until you realize that you are pulling up to another job! Noooooo! You drag yourself out of the truck, a simple job, just two limbs on a silver maple hanging over a garage. The climber asks if you want to do it. You just shake your head no. You are too tired to say much and you realize the job will probably get done sooner if the climber does it. He tells you to grab the grcs. You stand there trying to figure it out. One of the groundies helps you. You can't figure out why you've never heard of such a handy tool. The climber can see you are barely walking, so tells you to back the chipper into the driveway. You think "such a nice guy." It takes you thirty minutes but you finally get it after only driving on the lawn twice. The homeowner then shows up and yells at you about the ruts in the lawn. Then the climber joins the refrain. You just nod dumbly, too tired to defend yourself. You do notice that the climber is no longer using your name but is calling you something derogatory that is not flattering to your lineage.
The first branch hits the ground. You notice it's way to big to be dragged, and also notice that the groundies are just messing with something on the back of the chipper. This is your time to shine! You run and grab the first saw you see and head back to the yard. The groundies are hooking up a cable to the branch that runs to the back of the chipper? Oh, something else you wish you'd been taught. A groundie asks what you had planned to do with the 395. You realize that maybe a three foot bar is a little overkill. Then that damned climber from hell has to chip in again. He tells you that as long as you have it out, sharpen it. You are proud of yourself-he is trying to prank you but you can see right through it. You reply that it can't be sharpened since there is no grinder on the truck. The climber then said something that sounded like files and an enema, but the chipper started up just then and you missed it.
Anyway, the job is finally done. You are headed back to the shop. You perk up a bit-it was a horrible day but it's almost over. Then that stupid climber has to ruin things for you again as you pull into the yard. First the crew has to fuel up the trucks and chipper. Then some maintenance. One of the groundies shows you how to grease the chipper. As you give the gun a pump, a gob of grease spurt out and lands on your Paul Smith's t-shirt. You are almost in tears. As you head to the sink to see if you can wash out the stain, you hear the groundmen wonder about your sexual orientation. You also hear the owner and the climber shouting in the office. As you finish at the sink, the owner comes out and walks over to have a few words. He says he knows the first day was rough, but he'd like you to come back tomorrow and work with a different crew. He also mentions that he'd like you to get the work done a little faster. You are only half listening since you are sure the owner is wrong because your professor always lets you take as long as you want in the tree. In fact, you think about giving the professor a call so you two can laugh about this fool who wants you to work faster. Working faster is unsafe, doesn't he know that.
You finally stagger home at 10 pm. Your supper is cold. Your girlfriend/boyfriend wants to go out and party. You two get in a huge fight when you tell her/him you can't. You are so sore you can barely stand! As the door slams behind her/him on the way out and you collapse on the couch, you realize that maybe college did not do a good job preparing you for this.

What?

Have you even looked into StockBridges program at all? That's NOT how it works there. They are a division of UMASS (remarkably outstanding collage) and its the OLDEST and BEST arborcultural school in the US! Programs all over the world are interested in STOCKBRIDGES course content. You should read these brochures they sent me with their course lineup and recommendations by arborcultural teachers all over the US! I apply for almost every single financial aid category including instate tuition so I will have to pay practically nothing for my schooling. AT THE SAME TIME as working with arborists after classes for money WHILE going to school. Maybe not now but in MY LIFETIME lets say 20 years from now I bet you will be more required to be certified as time progresses school is more and more and more important well look down the line in 20 years when I am 40. PS- Nice signature!

Last edited:
Have you even looked into StockBridges program at all? That's NOT how it works there. They are a division of UMASS (remarkably outstanding collage) and its the OLDEST and BEST arborcultural school in the US! Programs all over the world are interested in STOCKBRIDGES course content. You should read these brochures they sent me with their course lineup and recommendations by arborcultural teachers all over the US! I apply for almost every single financial aid category including instate tuition so I will have to pay practically nothing for my schooling. AT THE SAME TIME as working with arborists after classes for money WHILE going to school. Maybe not now but in MY LIFETIME lets say 20 years from now I bet you will be more required to be certified as time progresses school is more and more and more important well look down the line in 20 years when I am 40. PS- Nice signature!

Lol, I wasn't trying to be insulting, just giving a humorous look at the hell a first day can be on a production crew. And you may be right, someday school and certifications may be the most important part of the job. But I have a feeling there will always be a place for the guy who can get the job done. Good luck on your endeavors. :)

Lol, I wasn't trying to be insulting, just giving a humorous look at the hell a first day can be on a production crew. And you may be right, someday school and certifications may be the most important part of the job. But I have a feeling there will always be a place for the guy who can get the job done. Good luck on your endeavors. :)

Thank you very much I found it interesting! I figure this, at 20 years old and the cost of schooling right now (almost nothing) financial aid will not be available when and IF I need it. Between 18-21 with my family's current income its a steal! ~Peace

After the Reds game is over tonight I thought I might go over and hang out at the Rocket Scientist's Forum for a while. I was thinkin bout takin a few classes on Rocket Science at COLLAGE and .......man I really love it when they shoot them thangs off down there in Florida or somewhere.

I know they will all dig me hangin out with them. :yourock:

After the Reds game is over tonight I thought I might go over and hang out at the Rocket Scientist's Forum for a while. I was thinkin bout takin a few classes on Rocket Science at COLLAGE and .......man I really love it when they shoot them thangs off down there in Florida or somewhere.

I know they will all dig me hangin out with them. :yourock:

How bout you butt out of this thread, you have a serious issue with self control and looking over something you don't agree with. Just IGNORE US! I don't "hang out" in threads I have more important things to do off a computer.... your the oldest immature being I know of, I don't want your advice, sarcasm, or anything for that matter so just move on already

Last edited:
How bout you butt out of this thread, you have a serious issue with self control and looking over something you don't agree with. Just IGNORE US! I don't "hang out" in threads I have more important things to do off a computer.... your the oldest immature being I know of, I don't want your advice, sarcasm, or anything for that matter so just move on already

But you gotta admit, PFE, that was pretty funny. And I got a kick and a half out of Beowolf's story too. Take college for what it's worth, you'll learn a lot about trees and biology and things I might never understand but you need to chill and realize that a production crew is a whole new world.

But you gotta admit, PFE, that was pretty funny. And I got a kick and a half out of Beowolf's story too. Take college for what it's worth, you'll learn a lot about trees and biology and things I might never understand but you need to chill and realize that a production crew is a whole new world.

haha I'm just sick of people getting a laugh off this guy over me it's getting really really old now.

I want to get the best of both worlds I'm hoping as far as the college and such. They call specialist in for a reason maybe I can specialize in something. All that means is I have to travel more in my job if I specialize in particular tree problems.

They call specialist in for a reason maybe I can specialize in something.

You're real good at bullschitting and you're already a specialist in that.:laugh:

How about you start talking about what you have DONE

Instead of always flapping about what you are GOING TO DO :fart: (that stinks)

Maybe then you get a little credibility after having the audacity to hang out in an experienced climber's forum when you probably have never even started a chainsaw let alone experienced any climbing. You make me gag little boy.

You're real good at bullschitting and you're already a specialist in that.:laugh:

How about you start talking about what you have DONE

Instead of always flapping about what you are GOING TO DO :fart: (that stinks)

Maybe then you get a little credibility after having the audacity to hang out in an experienced climber's forum when you probably have never even started a chainsaw let alone experienced any climbing. You make me gag little boy.

Listen this kinda BS is uncalled for, get a grip I can rebuild a chainsaw engine never mind starting one. You pick out 1 sentence then you just make up a buncha insults. You have a serious problem, a SERIOUS problem, just take your medication you will realize this world isn't such a bad place for you!!!!

Once again, you just COULDN'T handle overlooking this thread today....it' sad.

Too funny Beowulf!

I won't knock anyone for getting an education but I have seen guys hired out of college struggle as well. I have to give Job Corps some props though. We used to hire quite a few out of Job Corps and they had an excellent working knowledge of the basics and could climb.

Last edited:
I think what these fellows are trying to say is that school breeds a different type of tree worker , one who may or may not have the necessary skills to cope with the grueling riggers of everyday tree work , with that being said the experience of climbing trees can not be taught in books nor experienced through anyone elses eyes other than your own , I should know, I am the best climber on this site and thats a fact , jack....Check back later I am off to anger management class

Last edited:
Beowulf - repped for an amusing description of a first day from hell. Or what it's really like in tree work!

TV. I hear you man.

Pink. Couple of things. First, this particular forum is commercial tree care and climbing so its fair to say you are underqualified in that regard. This thread would be right at home in arb - 101 which is probably TV's point all along. Second, you have been given good advice. If you don't like being growled at by old hands then don't ##### and moan about it, get in a tree a prove em wrong. Otherwise you are going to hear it over and over again.

This trade is hard work and often for little reward. As the business owner I prefer to take newbies with zero knowledge and skill but an abundance of enthusiasm and work them till they cry for Mommy. Then do it again the next day. If they are still smiling after 2 weeks we talk about education and they get that education from the best our state can offer. Over 2 years they learn knowledge and skills from others and how to grow callouses from me. IMO there is no other way to learn this gig.

If you are open to suggestions then try this one. Put down your keyboard and pick up your harness. Leave the saws on the ground and just climb. Best to do this with an experienced buddy who can help you over the many OMFG I am going to die moments. In between climbs go drag brush for minimum wage. When you have done this for a month, come back and ask for advice in arb101. You will have earned the right by then.

:cheers:

Beowulf - repped for an amusing description of a first day from hell. Or what it's really like in tree work!

TV. I hear you man.

Pink. Couple of things. First, this particular forum is commercial tree care and climbing so its fair to say you are underqualified in that regard. This thread would be right at home in arb - 101 which is probably TV's point all along. Second, you have been given good advice. If you don't like being growled at by old hands then don't ##### and moan about it, get in a tree a prove em wrong. Otherwise you are going to hear it over and over again.

This trade is hard work and often for little reward. As the business owner I prefer to take newbies with zero knowledge and skill but an abundance of enthusiasm and work them till they cry for Mommy. Then do it again the next day. If they are still smiling after 2 weeks we talk about education and they get that education from the best our state can offer. Over 2 years they learn knowledge and skills from others and how to grow callouses from me. IMO there is no other way to learn this gig.

If you are open to suggestions then try this one. Put down your keyboard and pick up your harness. Leave the saws on the ground and just climb. Best to do this with an experienced buddy who can help you over the many OMFG I am going to die moments. In between climbs go drag brush for minimum wage. When you have done this for a month, come back and ask for advice in arb101. You will have earned the right by then.

:agree2:Well said and my points exactly, albeit more tactfully I must admit and apologize (through frustration from attitude and disrespect). Repped Doc.

This ain't no cakewalk and I have been around the block a time or two. If one is now going to reduce all this because of fear of heights or fear of work to finally deciding to become a traveling disease (1 disease?) specialist......

....well then head over to the "Plant Health Forum" and see how well you do over there with that group (with a bunch of "I am gonna do this and that stuff")....

I will be over there too as I have put the time in on that aspect as well over decades .....and that stuff ain't easy either (but you can do that as well without college).

Prior to understanding one must not just read about the disease but needs plant biology, physiology, mycology, anatomy, soil science, interaction with associates, environment, abiotic disorders, etc etc etc to get it....not just the downloading of a few paragraphs on the particular disorder.

Pink. Couple of things. First, this particular forum is commercial tree care and climbing so its fair to say you are underqualified in that regard. This thread would be right at home in arb - 101 which is probably TV's point all along.

I knew this before I posted but saw way more people in this forum so I thought I could get more advice. If everyone will stop posting it will just go away :)

If a tree company, would hire me and pay me 1$ a day I would work for 2 weeks and not say a word but knone will even do that! Everywhere I go I get laughed at before I even get a chance to do anything it's not fair. I can drag brush believe me! That's all I have done for my dads landscaping company for 5 years now SOMEONE I WILL PAY YOU TO GET ME INTO A TREE! I just don't have $400 right now for climbing gear. Moss already told me he would so now I am just waiting.

Just for all the StockBridge dowters here is the paper work they sent me I scanned it in so you can read their overview.

Scan1.jpg

Scan2.jpg

Scan3.jpg

PinkFloydEffect, I'll be honest, I haven't taken the time to read 12 pages of this thread but I've seen a few comments that lead me to believe that you need to get a little experience in climbing for as little expenditure as you can. So I'm gonna try and help you get started on as little as possible.

Here go's:

Arborist rope somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 to 200 ft. (this is probably going to be your biggest expense) $150-200

Entry level arborist saddle or if you are really broke but need something to practice in you can buy a rock climbing harness, but eventually you'll have to take the plunge and get an arborist saddle. (because of comfort issues, ansi standards, substantially more secure, and can carry larger gear ie. your chainsaw) Bare minimum rock climbing harness, $60 (for practicing climbing techniques only)

Pear shaped locking biner for main attachment $16-20

Learning a tie in knot, like the anchor hitch (leave a long tail to tie a blakes) FREE

Learning the blakes hitch (your friction hitch to capture progress) FREE

Prussik knot (for foot loop below blake's, if needed) FREE

Education on using doubled rope technique (search around the boards) FREE

----

I hope some of this helps you. If you can't afford these things then you can't afford to climb safely, yet. Get your education and stuff, but remember, like the rest of these guys can attest, you'll really learn from you hard knocks and experience, not to mention from other people in the know.

As for a fear of heights. Take one distance and conquer your fear of it then once you get comfortable, take the next step.

As for bee's; it goes with the job, even if you're allergic you'll need to keep a calm head on your shoulders and get down safely.

Practice low and slow. Be Careful and Best Of Luck!

-Josh

Back