Stolen question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Highdesignfool

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, just bumped in to this section and had a question to anyone that might know. About five years ago I was looking to buy a Stihl hedger. I found a nice looking one on a local classifieds and called on it. He didn't know all that much but the pics looked good. I made the one hour trip to check it out and it was in decent shape and being that I would only use it a few times a year I bought it for a hundred bucks. It's the nice long bar Hs 81r. Well, I get it home and gave it a soapy bath in some degreaser and in my cleaning, on the bottom of the gear box is the serial number. It was half assed scratched out but I took some light sand paper to it and I can make out the serial number still.
Of course by now it's pretty likely that it was stolen. Is there a database anywhere online that I can enter the serial to find out more about it and if in fact it was stolen?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had much the same question. I re-condition saws, make them perfect again, and than pass them on to returning veterans, etc. Many of these saws are eBay purchases, however, I do get a fair bit of calls from my CList postings, offering chainsaws locally. My first question is, whats the serial number? Most guys are cheerfully compliant, as they want to trade the saw in on a unit I have available. BUT, as per my question, when I get a STIHL serial number, I am dead in my tracks. Someday, someone will post a web-driven data-base/site, that allows a simple enter-send- followed by a sales/ownership history. Until than, I do my small part.

I had much the same question. I re-condition saws, make them perfect again, and than pass them on to returning veterans, etc. Many of these saws are eBay purchases, however, I do get a fair bit of calls from my CList postings, offering chainsaws locally. My first question is, whats the serial number? Most guys are cheerfully compliant, as they want to trade the saw in on a unit I have available. BUT, as per my question, when I get a STIHL serial number, I am dead in my tracks. Someday, someone will post a web-driven data-base/site, that allows a simple enter-send- followed by a sales/ownership history. Until than, I do my small part.
Is that system like the FBI tracing guns??? 😆

Back