Storage box for field use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vonb

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out a reasonable way to get all my gear into the field without being cumbersome. What do you use to take your gear into the field when cutting wood? I've thought about milk crates; I'd like to hear other recommendations. I usually throw all of this in the tractor bucket and go out to the back of the farm. Here is what I take into the woods:

- Usually one chainsaw in a case (either Stihl MS 250/290/362C)
- Bar oil
- Pre-mix
- Helment w/ visor
- Chaps/Gloves
- Axeroon/LogOx
- Hatchet
- Mingo/Paint
- Wedges
- Plugs/2N1 file/filter/chain

What do you use to take your gear into the field when cutting wood?
Welsome to A.S.!

Several threads on this (hint, search A.S. via Google, not by the site search forum, e.g. "arboristsite chainsaw field box")

Some examples:
https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/carry-case-for-a-large-saw.202923/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-is-in-your-chainsaw-tool-box.77207/

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/woods-kit.328111/

Philbert

Was just talking about this the other day. Over the years I've tried quite a few different boxes, ideas none of which have been perfect and some just ridiculous in hindsight. Whilst not perfect, I have settled on fish bins with clip-latch lids. Either 42L or 56L. But there are plenty of crap ones out there. Mine are made here in NZ and they have held up perfectly and not too big that I can't lift them. The UV radiation down here is brutal and they handle sunlight well. I've got about 10 of these and need another half a dozen but they are not cheap and buying quite a few really adds up quick. But they are worth every cent, even though they don't look (but most certainly are in terms of longevity) much different from much cheaper alternatives.
taurus-fish-bin-56l-red.jpg

Not really for chainsaws but for darn near everything else.

Different colours too, so I have all my building tools in white ones, my chainsaw gear in the red ones, sawmill gear in black ones and, because I ran out of colours, my tractor gear is in white with red lids.

Those can be brittle and crack.
As was the case with similar types I tried. The issues in my case were two-fold. Firstly, the plastic/design wasn't up to rigorous use and the bottoms cracked. Secondly the size is too big and there's no way I can load them up and safely handle them. Too heavy for me for repeated use. They were waterproof in the back of the open ute/truck though, just like the aforementioned fish bins, however the lip on the lids means they hold a lot of water, unlike the lids on the fish bins.

I carry my file, scrench, fuel, and oil in my chainsaw case. Fuel in a recycled trufuel can and bar oil in a quart oil bottle.
PPE I'd probably put in a duffle bag.
And then whatever for the rest of it. Tool box, bucket, old cooler, or one of those Rubbermaid Action Packers.
d4e6c6a5-67ab-4f1d-846e-efe8f56645ee_1.ada84f4f9656ed6fe7bbc197f0914a01.jpeg

We use those bins butchers use.
Indestructable and stackable.
They are made to be thrown around even at -20 C.
1 for the liquids and chains.
1 for the wedges, pulley, files etc.
It's mostly for not sliding around in the car.
The 4 chainsaws (2 guys cutting, one extra saw, so none be lonely).
ee75d5c11383f06202d2482ee04c8762.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They look solid. Can you get lids for them?
I believe they are called F type container boxes. You can get all kinds of extra's for them. Lids, trollies etc. They are not cheap.
Buy ones, cry ones.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

We use those bins butchers use.Indestructable and stackable.

They are not cheap.

The 'trick' is always finding suitable stuff like that surplus. Used to have a few restaurant supply places around here that sold used stuff they got when places went out of business. Really heavy duty stuff, that was designed to be cleaned and used again. Since I am typically not using it for food applications, that is not usually a problem anyway.

A related post on that topic: https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaws-and-home-economics.220545/

Philbert

I recently picked up a mortar mixing tub from Home Depot. I intended it for my SUV, but I might try one in the back of my pickup truck when I have my cap on. The tub is heavy duty plastic as you might imagine, and I think they had two sizes, one 2' x 4' and the other I believe was 54" x 36" or something close to that . I recently saw a guy using one of them in the back of his Suburban and it looked like a good idea to me. Sturdy and not too tall so you could see over the edge to find things easily, but it would keep things upright and contain spills.

I think the tub was ~ $12 but they had misplaced some of them on the shelf. It looked like $5.76 each, so the guy helping me out said if you want one I have to sell it to you at the lower price. It didn't take long for me to decide on buying one at that price.

Back