Storm damage Cedar Rapids, IA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A very significant storm with a Derecho wind went across Iowa today. Everything went south of my home but my brother near Newton had a lot of tree damage and my daughter in Cedar Rapids had severe damage, it will take several days to try and get things sorted out. In addition, they are still without power so we have visitors for a day or two.

I will be traveling to Cedar Rapids tomorrow to deliver my generator and get started on the trees. This will requires days...

Mark

Sorry to see you losing some nice trees, hopefully it came with some rain. Heard it was dry around there.

dang. Yeah we had the same storm come through last night in West MI. Luckily no trees down here, the power didn't go out (which I was very surprised at).

Hope everyone is OK and wish I could be there cutting.

whatever you do, be safe... if it goes into the weekend and want help, let me know

I am loading up saws, fuel, and the generator and will be on my way soon to inspect/get started. From the photos and video my daughter showed me it will be my greatest challenge yet.

Mark

Hope cleanup goes smoothly.

Besides saw stuff I'd pack a big cooler and supplies you'd bring for car camping.

On my drive to work today the hardest hit areas NW of Des Moines are from Ogden (highway 169/30) to Granger (highway 141). Miles upon miles of flattened cornfields and the worst hit farmsteads have tornado like storm damage to their trees.

I spent the day moving my daughter into ISU in Ames, We watched the storm come through in the dorm parking lot. In the middle of it, as the tree limbs were moving like tumbleweeds, a student goes walking by. :confused: ISU and Ames had no power so finding gas to get home plus food to eat was impossible. The local HYVee was grilling burgers/dogs in the parking lot and that was all we could find. In my local area there was very little damage and we made it to an open Casey's with 1/2gal of gas to spare on the way home from Ames.

More prayers go out for the storm victims ( and those working on restoring power and cleanup ) I just learned that a friend of mine that lives near St Louis, that a neighbor was killed by a tree that fell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are big trees down all over Omaha, Nebraska. I haven't seen a straight-line wind storm like this in 20 years. Luckily, most of it missed my neighborhood, but it gained strength as it headed east. The sky looked like the Independence Day film. It was 9:00 am but it got so dark the street lights kicked on. Whiskers used to live not far from me. What a mess!

BTW, this storm never made it into the weather forecast until an hour before it hit. One has to wonder what computer models they are using. :crazy:

Edwin, It has been around 20 years since we last had one of these. Pioneer seed was building a new building at the tiime and I can still see the construction worker hiding behind equipment to keep the wind/rain off of them as it blew through. Took 45 minutes to an hour to get home due to all the tree damage/lines down

Here’s what my place looks like

f2c7b1b505746f21bfab5075827e69ed.jpg
8aa164dbcfb4672fb402d4a2f7db365c.jpg
801d3b31bdc1132e86c1253775dbe846.jpg

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

Latest posts

Back