storm damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit box

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Howdy. I'm new here. There is a lot of storm damage in eastern U.S.. Let's look at cost to be considered. What is the tree service estimate? What does your insurance pay? What is your cost? What will the removal outlay cost be if you do the job? Are you physically able to do the removal? Back injury is number one lost work hours in the professional tree service work. What is your level of experience? There were approx. 36,000 emergency room chainsaw injuries last year. Blow by injuries were likely more. How much equipment will you have to purchase and what will the cost be? Do the math. Do not just dive in. Do not just dive in and volunteer to help.

Safety first and foremost. Education of the homeowner who visits this site. Encourage the homeowner to learn how to safely proceed through this web site. What equipment to purchase to clean the debris from their yards. What is PPE and the need for it. Books to read(Jeff Jepson. He wrote it , read it). Their are people who want to learn and people that will never learn. Let us not be offended if the customer says the cost is too steep. Maybe they cannot afford your service. Most likely they cannot not afford your service. My scars are not many. I wish that I had a teacher(even a web site). I am still learning.

The ladder to cut the big limb off that knocks the ladder over is my favorite. A Hawaii lady came by a Job to see if I would look at some trees after I finished. She had limbed up about 30 doug fir about 50’ by standing on the limb and sawing it off outside of where she was standing. Said her husband was pissed cus she did it while she was pregnant. I felt very humbled.

I really wanted to respond with something meaningful but if you want to learn how to do anything effectively and safely go seek in person instruction. I guess that’s meaningful.

I can see the merit of what's being said, but honestly, if joe homeowner wants to clean up his property and not get professional help. Hes gonna clean up his property, and no amount of we told you to do that like this, with this and that equipment is going to help. From experience people think your (the professional) is out to get them. Now add thousands of dollars of damage, much of which will ultimately come out of pocket amd you have the perfect storm of do it yourself clean up. Just my 2 cents.

Back