Strange structure found in wood pile

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigshow

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone know what may have built this? No critters were found in it.

Attachments

• 20210114_153951.jpg
    20210114_153951.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 166
If it was wasps I'm glad their gone! I've seen small wasp nests like this but this thing is pretty big. I'll give an update if i find anything when i tear the stack down. Thanks for the replies.

wasps make open faced nests, yellow jackets prefer in the ground. That is either paper hornets or bald face hornets, the size of their paths in it will tell us...Buy a lotto ticket... either hornet species can seriously hospitalize someone in a hurry.

wasps make open faced nests, yellow jackets prefer in the ground. That is either paper hornets or bald face hornets, the size of their paths in it will tell us...Buy a lotto ticket... either hornet species can seriously hospitalize someone in a hurry.

Bald faced hornet or Yellowjacket. I've had 2 different Yellowjacket nests here that weren't in the ground, one where they were going into the soffit of the house, about 9' in the air, and another in an outbuilding where they built a nest near the top of the wood pile between the splits. I had 2 bald faced hornet nests that were within 24" of the ground too. I'd take balk faced hornets over yellow jackets, but both are really protective of their nests the closer you get to first frost.

I think many people call bumble bees yellow jackets, they nest in the ground, we always called hornets, yellow jackets.
If you would take bald faced hornets over yellow jackets I don't think you've been stung by both.

I think many people call bumble bees yellow jackets, they nest in the ground, we always called hornets, yellow jackets.
If you would take bald faced hornets over yellow jackets I don't think you've been stung by both.

I've been stung by both, and you are correct, the Bald Faced Hornet hurts a LOT worse. BUT, they seem to be more tolerant of people being by the nest than Yellow Jackets.

I was doing basal injection one summer and I felt like I had someone come up behind me and whack the back of my thigh with a baseball bat. I got the heck out of there and went back the next day. Turns out that there was a hornet nest about 10' above my head and they didn't like me cutting slices in the tree to inject the Garlon 4..........

Looks like hornet paper to me. Luckily they were gone when you found it.

I got tangled up with a hornet's nest one time while mowing grass under our magnolia tree, they had just started building the nest, it was a little bit bigger than a softball. Drove under the tree and had to brush the branches back as I drove under, had no idea that nest was there, it wasn't there the week before. All of a sudden all hell broke loose... and I didn't know what was going on!! 11 stings on my neck and shoulders is what my wife counted. Went back that evening just before sunset with a can of brake cleaner... best wasp/hornet medicine there is.

Back