ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Strange things we’ve seen in the forests??

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by Huskybill, Apr 24, 2019.

1. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

A pet Peacock can make you stain and drain in your drawers, at the same time, when they scream right behind you.

James Miller, holeycow and Blue Oaks like this.
  2. stihlaficionado

stihlaficionado God of ArboristSite

3. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

We had a half Poodle/Mutt that walked around on her hind legs. I think she felt vertically challenged because all of our other dogs were Bernese Mountain Dogs, at about 100 pounds. When she had to pee she would stand on her front feet, with both rear feet off the ground. I started to take a video of her, then I looked on youtube, and there were already a bunch of them. Seems like something little Poodles do.

4. knockbill

knockbill Addicted to ArboristSite

No Blair Witch sightings/stories???

5. old guy

old guy Addicted to ArboristSite

One cold, clear, moonlit winter night many years ago, I was walking thru an open field when I became aware of something!, I knew not what, then, there it was again!, I looked up to see I was being dived on by a great horned owl.
    He apparently thought the black furry troopers cap I had on might be good eating.

6. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

This could be my best one; or not..

I was parked on a trail that was the rear entrance to a farmer’s equipment yard. I happened to be parked right on top of a little drainage ditch with about a 12” culvert running through the fill, perpendicular to the orientation of my pickup.

I put both windows down to enjoy the light breeze and proceeded to do a little paperwork. Soon I realized something was odd.

Ooh, what’s that smell? That pungent, musky smell? And those gentle grunting noises? Wtf?

I got out of the truck and walked around to the passenger side and right there below my feet at the end of the culvert were a couple of amorous porcupines making out in full song. The little male was givin’-er and the female was obviously a happy lass.

I let them have their privacy.

Cantcha smell that smell..

7. holeycow

holeycow Addicted to ArboristSite

I had known my wife only for a short time.

We went tent camping in the mountains to a valley I had hunted over many years.

We had our tent set-up near a very small creek. The creek was about 3 feet wide and a foot deep. As we were getting water one morning we noticed this mouse swimming underwater with a bubble on his/her nose. As we watched we realized that this mouse was hunting for bugs on the creek bottom and spending extended periods underwater with its bubble. Every now and then it would come to the surface and make a new bubble and go for its underwater adventure again.

We thought it was a pretty cool little mouse.

30 years later my wife was working with a doctor of biology ( an entomologist) and she tells him this story about the cool mouse.

He was flabbergasted. Apparently he had spent much time trying to study that particular mouse type because he wanted to write his thesis on it. He never, ever saw one so he was forced to study something else ( I forget what).

That made my wife and I feel lucky indeed. As it turns out, those underwater mice are quite rare.

As are white moose...

You guys gotta have more stories..??!

TNTreeHugger, SeMoTony, U&A and 2 others like this.
  8. Huskybill

Huskybill Addicted to ArboristSite

Sounds like something being skinned alive really intense. Yup heard it before.

U&A, lone wolf and Big Red Oaks 4 me like this.
  9. stihl sawing

stihl sawing MAD DOG

last year I was suddenly awakened by a loud noise and the dog was raising all sorts of cain. So I jumped up and put my scooby doo slippers and batman jamas on and rushed outside yielding a sawed off nerf gun. To my surprise a huge space craft was embedded in the muddy ground. I though OH My goodness, my first thought was I may be outgunned so off in the house to grab my GI Joe water pistol.

So when I approach the craft I hear some very familiar music and though maybe these guys are human. The door slowly opens and to my amazement out comes Elvis in his full splender dancing to the tune Jailhouse rock on the space linear 1000 radio. I commented WOW Mr. Presley, you have lost weight and are back down to your younger years weight.

He said Thank ya, Thank ya very much.

That's my story and i'm stickin to it.

10. Big Red Oaks 4 me

Big Red Oaks 4 me Fun with flying wood chips

Yep. They are loud, for sure, but what I heard that night years ago was a "blood curdling" scream. It wasn't from any kind of bird.

11. JimM

JimM ArboristSite Guru

No strange forest experiences for me, but when I was younger, an old Wheelhorse garden tractor left out in the yard had me whispering “Sweet Jesus” one dark night. Lol

Sleepy likes this.
  12. stillhunter

stillhunter Addicted to ArboristSite

While surveying years ago, in a mature hardwood forest I came along to 2 healthy, mature Oak trees about 30' apart. One had 2 trunks right from the ground. One trunk was vertical about about 30", the other was about 18" and leaning about 45*. The leaning trunk was straight as the vertical trunks and had grown over to the other tree and completely fused into it about 25' high making a perfect, large N out of the 2 trees.

Big Red Oaks 4 me and holeycow like this.
  13. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

https://maps.roadtrippers.com/stori...es-are-actually-native-american-trail-markers

TNTreeHugger and stillhunter like this.
  14. stillhunter

stillhunter Addicted to ArboristSite

I don't think these trees were old enough for Indians to manipulate. I think the leaner sheared off in a storm and fell into a v in the other tree and they grew together. Both trees were healthy. The leaner @ the top of the N looked like it was welded into the other tree and there was no trunk past it, like the rest of the leaning tree snapped off or was squeezed off as the trees grew together.

SeMoTony, holeycow and lone wolf like this.
  15. Huskybill

I have a horizontal bent tree that marks the trail and a water source in vt. I have a bent horizontal tree on my land in ct that marks the old north trail which was a north stagecoach run. The stop over was a Inn not far away from me.

lone wolf likes this.
  16. Huskybill

Start fishing at night for large mouth bass and the noises you will hear in the wilds in the dark will change your minds. I won’t go into detail.

17. AMX

AMX ArboristSite Lurker

I don’t think it’s that simple.

A few years ago, the wife of one of my coworkers showed up (where we work) and started screaming at him about being with another woman. She then punched him in the face three or four times very quickly. She got in her car to leave and he ran and jumped in the open window of the passenger door as she sped off with his feet dangling out the window. We could see that she was punching him as she drove down the road.

Two other guys also witnessed this but none of us thought to grab our phones and start recording.

18. sb47

sb47 Addicted to ArboristSite

The other night I was out in the yard about midnight and I stopped to take a pee. While standing there a huge owl swooped down and right over my head missing me by about 5 feet. I ducked and almost pee'd on myself. :surprised3:

19. James Miller

James Miller Addicted to ArboristSite

Was riding some of the trails in western Maryland and rounded a bend and almost ran over a cub. Had to stop to not hit it. Whipped around and went back the other way with a quickness.

Fishing at night can play with your mind. Carp rolling in the shallows sounds like something coming through the water. One of my favorite bass spots is a mud flat with a creek coming in. The carp spawn on the flats there. Have to walk about 20 feet out in the water to get a lure to the channel in knee high water. Carp rolling all around making noise they swim into your legs. I've taken people out with me and they cant deal with it cause it's dark and there sure something is coming to get them.

20. Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks ArboristSite Guru

The difference being yours is a believable story that happens fairly frequently.

Woodslasher, full chizel and Duce like this.