Street Shade Trees Root Flares

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I can tell because they flagged them again, that is an interesting link!

I'm thinking it's too late in the season to be digging up and moving trees?

Regarding the original first street tree I worked on, I had to fight to keep her standing so they pruned the deadwood...here it is before they came through:
IMG_1910.jpg

The right side of the tree was essentially dead so they removed it which in my opinion left the tree completely out of balance, cosmetically and safety/weight balance wise:
IMG_1909.jpg

I want to remove everything in red, basically the large limb coming off the trunk to the left splits into two...one goes into the red and the other branches off to the back and grows toward the right side where the other limb grows upward slightly left. Over time I think it would balance back out since half the flare is missing which leaves a dead vain spiraling around the trunk that used to feed the limbs on the right side of the trunk:
IMG_1908.jpg

Yeah I can tell because they flagged them again, that is an interesting link!

I'm thinking it's too late in the season to be digging up and moving trees?

Now is the time to go into the woods and put ribbons on the trees you will want to dig up.

Then wait until all the leaves have fallen, trees are then dormant, grab your spade and start transplanting.

Marking trees with ribbon now makes it easier to identify the species once the leaves are off.

Thanks what a great idea!! So they will be good to dig as soon as the last leaf has fallen? (being dramatic) but as in before the ground starts freezing?

Good work. Combine your photos with the text of a top arborist/tree doctor/surgeon and you have the first chapter of a DIY book. The next chapters would be trunk health, fix the canopy, etc. It wouldn't be the first but it could be the best. Amateurs working with a good guide is a lot better than everybody doing nothing. Of course I'm over simplifying but you seem to have a deep interest here.

Thanks what a great idea!! So they will be good to dig as soon as the last leaf has fallen? (being dramatic) but as in before the ground starts freezing?

Yes

Now you can extend your digging season by covering trees to be transplanted and new hole/ home for tree with straw.

This keeps the ground from freezing for awhile.

I wouldn't remove everything in Red yet.

The center, Top of your tree does not look so great.

You may be removing the healthy part of your tree.

Good work. Combine your photos with the text of a top arborist/tree doctor/surgeon and you have the first chapter of a DIY book. The next chapters would be trunk health, fix the canopy, etc. It wouldn't be the first but it could be the best. Amateurs working with a good guide is a lot better than everybody doing nothing. Of course I'm over simplifying but you seem to have a deep interest here.

Wish I had that kind of opportunity, you will never catch me writing a book that's for sure haha but my interest does go deep, once I am attached to a tree you better stay away from it!

I wouldn't remove everything in Red yet.

The center, Top of your tree does not look so great.

You may be removing the healthy part of your tree.

It deff is the healthier part of the tree but there is another healthy canopy that branches off the same limb going towards the back I'll take more pictures, I agree the center of the tree looks flagged. I saw the timber they cut off and it was crawling with beetle holes and white larvae/worms...not sure what they are but they seem to be cleaning deadwood and not necessarily the source of the problem.

Kudos to you good sir!

You did/are doing a great job in my opinion. I'm not sure if they'd like your zone but a pin oak would grow fast, give you shade and they have a deep root system with practically no surface roots to speak of.

Kudos to you good sir!

You did/are doing a great job in my opinion. I'm not sure if they'd like your zone but a pin oak would grow fast, give you shade and they have a deep root system with practically no surface roots to speak of.

I would have to be able to find one in the woods near my home, I have already tagged some oaks I believe are white oaks.

Pictures!

Please.

OK so I only photographed 2 of the 5 Oak trees in this area that I tagged (yellow zip ties around flare) I tried to blur the background the best I could to make it easier on the eye:
IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1986.jpg

IMG_1989.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

They are all grown under the shade of pine trees so when they are transplanted into the open they will probably take right off:
IMG_1995.jpg

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

What do you think? White Oak? Decent selections/cultivars?

All 5 are probably red oaks then, they look like wonderful shade trees and according to Wikipedia "It grows rapidly and is tolerant of many soils and varied situations ... it has stout branches growing at right angles to the stem, forming a narrow round-topped head".
redoak-tree.jpg

This whole street in California is lined in Northern Red Oaks:
canopy_california_north_redoak.jpg

They kind of take on an elm shape; umbrella / mushroom type of shade tree, I think some of these are going to work well on both sides of the road:
Image_Northen_Red_Oak_Dresden06.jpg

I'm going to do clumps of different types of trees all the way down on both sides of the road maybe 4 or 5 at a time... Diversity Avenue! (this thread is Barthel Avenue in Gardner MA)

Oh yeah... I also tagged another tree I have not identified yet, any ideas?

Looks like American Beech. Make sure there's not a large beech nearby, if it's a root sprout you'll have a tough time digging it up ;-) Typical for American Beech to send up root sprouts around a mother tree. Probably not great for a street tree though, likes a nice rich forest soil and plenty of room to spread its roots out. Don't think it would make it between the sidewalk and the street.
-AJ

Beech! Good! That is a fast growing large tree, unfortunately the town no longer allows new trees to be planted between the sidewalk and street so this will not be a problematic tree 3-4ft from the sidewalk on private properties but will grow over the road, I will be sure to plant away from houses.

Kind of forgot about this haha, I went back and dug up one of the Oaks today and put it in a bucket of water for a few days before I plant it...should make a nice high canopy shade tree I hope!

IMG_3376_zpscd02f171.jpg

IMG_3379_zpsacd006af.jpg

Back