Street Shade Trees Root Flares

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, get it in the ground and make sure you water it this summer.

S5030361.jpg

It's in the ground and watered in well:
IMG_3470_zps2ea9b262.jpg

Anchored solid and the grass was replaced just above flare level for now:
IMG_3473_zpse24c851f.jpg

PF if I may,,, fast forward about 15 to 30 years if your Oak thrives in that site against the odds will be 12 to 20 inch trunk Dia and its roots plate will be jacking up side walk path and the road kerb anyhoo thats just looking at it from way down here.
Your planting method is unique golly gee not seen that style for awhile and I think you've put the tree in Muni government land not on home owner side so perhaps issue here. Dont be troubled as many do I'm a Muni LG tree man so suffer the maintenance and management if this all the time its no big deal. Planting trees is great ideally planting is always done picturing what will be down the future.
So dont stop planting maybe just adjust a wee bit your style and placement

A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. Elton Trueblood

I fully understand and realize that by looking at the trees they cut down, but I really don't care because they are not cutting down trees that push up the sidewalk only when they die. I know it's on public land that is where they belong this is an "avenue" I plan on maintaining it for years to come. Like I said this is where all the other trees are, even though they told me to plant 4ft in from the front of our yards that was only a lower worker and they never return to check. I'm honestly trying to see if I can get away with it because it looks soooo much better between the sidewalk and street, it was really impossible to line yards the way peoples yards are already lined with bushes, etc. Look back on this thread at where all the other large trees are placed on my street; it's the same all the way around my town on other streets.

Nice quote man, I only wish for other generations to walk the sidewalks with the same effect, feeling and shade I did growing up here and at the rate of removal I do not see that.

no need to explain I saw all the past shots and understand your wish to replant and continue the street feel and theme of trees

It was my practical Yin debating aloud on tree placement with my free spirited wishful Yan.
I often say to my engineer bretherin who seem to want all streets a copy paste look. Why do you need 2 side walks if the the car passage numbers would be hand full a day just build path on one side only or allow by design pedestrian better use of the kerb area.

We only have two sidewalks on our main roads, any more is not necessary IMO. We will see what this week brings anything could happen between the town and kids, knock on wood.

That's interesting...I wonder if it is expensive or if anything locally obtainable could be used in the same fashion?

Back