Stress Head crane ops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It is not like me to get rattled, but today was an exception. This dude was on the phone practically all day, and in-between screaming and shouting at the guys on the ground. He crossed the line and I let him know in no uncertain terms. To me its all in a days work, watching guys screw up and then try not to do it again for the best part, so long as they try I dont mind so much. Ive got little or no time for that kind of behaviour.

How about you guys, sound familiar?

attachment.php

It is not like me to get rattled, but today was an exception. This dude was on the phone practically all day, and in-between screaming and shouting at the guys on the ground. He crossed the line and I let him know in no uncertain terms. To me its all in a days work, watching guys screw up and then try not to do it again for the best part, so long as they try I dont mind so much. Ive got little or no time for that kind of behaviour.

How about you guys, sound familiar?

attachment.php

What?

Most likely the phone was the majority of the problem. I don't know how anyone could focus on their work while on a phone.

I understand your annoyance with the stressed out op, Reg, and it's good of you to mention something. We all can get torqued up from time to time and we all let it out different ways. Tough to remember in the heat of the moment that sometimes #### just happens. Don't let it bother you, was probably something completely unrelated to the situation that was up his ass.

spider sling on that pick reg?!?! 1 sling.

dude that runs the crane i work off is on the damn thing all day. the only time we use hand signals is when he on the phone. lol.

spider sling on that pick reg?!?! 1 sling.

dude that runs the crane i work off is on the damn thing all day. the only time we use hand signals is when he on the phone. lol.

Her's the same pick from a different angle Justin. 1.8 tons, we were good for only 2.2. Only an idiot would mindlessly allow a pick to flip and shockload in that situation. I dont do things without good reason. Thanks
attachment.php

well reg. i don't mindlessy do too many things crane related either. from what i can see on that particular pick i would've just put the sling on the other side of piece. that way when you tension up all the weight on the front (spider sling sides) is countered by the pull from the cable.

i don't know man......... you get paid for how you do and if you got the time to set all the slings and whatnot then all the power to you i guess.

i am usually pressed for time when it comes getting wood from the tree to the chipper so all the extra stuff would be frowned upon.

production is the name of my game.

Cool heads will prevail Reg, you know sometimes it takes a cool head to tell a hot head they are out of line and being more of a distraction then a help.

well reg. i don't mindlessy do too many things crane related either. from what i can see on that particular pick i would've just put the sling on the other side of piece. that way when you tension up all the weight on the front (spider sling sides) is countered by the pull from the cable.

That would've worked with less foliage or more weight on the butt, but as it was, it still would've flipped on me the instant it came off the stump.

i don't know man......... you get paid for how you do and if you got the time to set all the slings and whatnot then all the power to you i guess.

i am usually pressed for time when it comes getting wood from the tree to the chipper so all the extra stuff would be frowned upon.

production is the name of my game

I actually picked most of that tree with just the single choker, but a few needed bit more. This is not my first Rodeo Justin, the same conversation is getting tired.

My game is control

Here's one from the archives. I was 21 here, about 6 of them suckers with chains I recall, heaviest pick of the day was 7.5 tones, that's somewhere over 15000lbs. I got paid £40 for the day. Time flys
attachment.php

Here's one from the archives. I was 21 here, about 6 of them suckers with chains I recall, heaviest pick of the day was 7.5 tones, that's somewhere over 15000lbs.

Oh my goodness, i had no idea 7.5 tons is about 15000 lbs!! So glad i've got all you "big" crane guys that can inform me of this vital information!!:rolleyes:

Oh my goodness, i had no idea 7.5 tons is about 15000 lbs!! So glad i've got all you "big" crane guys that can inform me of this vital information!!:rolleyes:

Hey beowulf, I'm not a big guy, far from it. In England we work in Kilos-Tons, but I have only ever read figures quoted in Lbs here on AS, so I just stated an approximate conversion for those who dont do metric. No need to roll you eyes about that

That actually wasn't the reason my eyes were rolling. I just love when guys have to brag. I was picking better than 19k just this morning.

But anyway, back to your first post-i also hate working with an op that doesn't pay attention. I've worked with a couple that seem to be able to multitask fairly well, but one missed signal and i'm coming down to have a little convo-and at 6'7", 275, the op usually listens. :)

Fortunately, been working with the same op for over 7 years now. Hate when he goes on vacation.

Hey, I sense some bragging in that statement!

I stopped bragging many years ago, now days I just tell the truth or generally shut up.....its much easier

Rep coming to ya! Wisdom there.

BTW Thanks for the videos Reg. What happened to all the ones you used to have posted on Youtube?

Jeff

That would've worked with less foliage or more weight on the butt, but as it was, it still would've flipped on me the instant it came off the stump.

i don't get how you think the piece is going to flip if the choke is on the weighted side?? if anything maybe even boom up a couple feet as well that way when the cut is finished the piece just sits into the boom. no fuss and no loaded shorts. its relatively simple really. i'm finding this out more and more as i run the crane......

i understand you think you got the answer but for the most part its over thinking in my book.

beowulf. whats this bragging **** you talking about? there was nothing braggadocios in any of the statements i have made in this thread. as far as i am concerned you may as well be a mouthpiece cause i haven't seen a single pic of you or the work you claim to be doing yet in the years you have been here. yeah one butt log but you weren't in it.......

as far as my **** talking and chest thumping here if i didn't make an attempt at some fun this place would be about as fun as a funeral. christ man look at the buzz. place is chock full of chumps and ball kissers. no need for this to be the same.

reg. what this lying **** you going on about as well? i have yet to embellish a damn thing i have said on this site. been nothing but straight cash, homey.

beowulf. whats this bragging **** you talking about? there was nothing braggadocios in any of the statements i have made in this thread. as far as i am concerned you may as well be a mouthpiece cause i haven't seen a single pic of you or the work you claim to be doing yet in the years you have been here. yeah one butt log but you weren't in it.......

Boy, i tried to leave this one alone, but i'm pissed. Had no idea camera equipment was now an essential piece of equipment for putting trees on the ground. Sorry hollywood passed you over, you ####ing camera whore. Maybe if you spent a little more time behind the saw and less behind a camera, you'd be skilled enough at tree work that you wouldn't have to prop up your fragile ego by posting a vid of every job you do. For us, putting a tree on the ground is just another job, nothing special enough to warrant making videos over. (Bet you still high five your guys every time you drop a stem, right? And i'll also bet you really take those videos so you can watch them over and over again while jacking off to yourself.) Personally, i find it a bit conceited, wasting all that videotape just to brag to your internet "buddies."

A ####ing "mouthpiece." What, jealous i've got more time on bigger cranes than you? Pissed i don't post pictures here that you can nitpick to make yourself feel better? Why should i post pics, to try to impress these internet weenies around here? Heck, there's only about four guys on this site with enough experience in cranes to even appreciate what we do.

I really can't believe things have degraded this far, now instead of driving up to a job and pulling out the counter weight, i'm supposed to pull up to the job and grab the camera so i can impress a group of guys who have their heads up their asses.

You know, i didn't come to this site to impress people with my work. I know i rub many the wrong way simply because of some different views of treework i hold. I came here to learn and maybe teach others. But if you are dumb enough that you can only learn from picture books, maybe i need a better class of people.

i don't get how you think the piece is going to flip if the choke is on the weighted side?? if anything maybe even boom up a couple feet as well that way when the cut is finished the piece just sits into the boom. no fuss and no loaded shorts. its relatively simple really. i'm finding this out more and more as i run the crane......

i understand you think you got the answer but for the most part its over thinking in my book.

It wouldn't flip as fast Justin but to a far greater extent to what is in the photos. Not good enough. The legs take (which took me a couple of seconds to tie) take the sting out of the tail, and make for much predictable and safer cutting....hooking and booming up - no need we are all cool

reg. what this lying **** you going on about as well? i have yet to embellish a damn thing i have said on this site. been nothing but straight cash, homey
Now I'm confused, what are you talking about?

beowulf, settle down fella, there's no malice here. Ive put dozens of tree vids on the net, doesn't make me a bad person though, on the contrary its made me some money. And I certainly dont sit there pulling one off if I have to watch them back, thankyou

I have videos of hot women doing tree work nude, but I refuse to share them with anyone.:monkey:

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back