Striped muffler bolt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Taylor

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ms 046 striped bolt what’s the best way to get this out (I dident strip it)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 53
If you can't get a grip with a pair of visegrips, just drill the head of the screw off, remove the muffler and use the visegrips to remove the screw once the tension is relieved.
2stroker

Stripped aLen cap hex screw? Take a flat nose punch and hammer to swage the hex closed up. Your going to pein the hex closed up. Go around the hex head. Then take a Allen wrench and hammer to swage the hex back into the screw. It works.

I'd try slotting it first, and also heat it up.
If that doesn't work, weld a nut to it.
On a small screw like that, will need to crank the heat up a bit as it won't be much more than a tack weld.

yep, try a slot and use a flathead first.

then use liberal PB Blaster or your favorite penetrant. Not a lubricant, a penetrant.

Heat helps

If you have a strike-style Hand Impact tool, those things are magic

Before you cut a slot in it for a screwdriver:
SOMETIMES I can take a really good hex drive torx driver (hex shank type torx like used in screwdrivers or type that has 1/4-3/8 drive ratchets) and peck it into a stripped allen head bolt/screw and bring it out. A China made torx driver will not work and this may damage the splines on your torx driver.
The pecking of driving the torx driver into the stripped hex also helps wake up the rust.

Latest posts

Back