Strongway logging dolly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was looking through the Northern tool catalog and saw this. Looks similar to the Stein arbor cart. I think the Stein cart is around $700, vs $130 for this cart. I'm sure the Stein is much better built, but for the average firewood guy using it less often, this Strongway cart may be worth looking into.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673745_200673745

The Stein cart was aimed for arborists who cut a tree down in someone's back yard, and due to restrictions on the lot (gate, fence, etc) couldn't get back there with a machine. So they use the dolly to carry out the limb wood, and brush to the chipper at the street.

For me personally, I'd use it to get hard to get access wood on the forest floor where I don't want to or can't drive a machine. I'd wheel it out to the path and load it on the tractor box or trailer. I'd probably cut the pieces 5' or so (to get 3-20" pieces of firewood), and load 3 or 4 five foot pieces on the dolly at a time.

I think I would be looking for taller wheels to better roll over roots and such.

I used to get all my wood out in a wheel barrow , I had to clear a path of debris or I would keep getting hung up

I envisioned a 2 wheel hand truck that had big wheels on the sides so as it pivoted back the weight was mostly over the wheels like the tall wheel welding tank carts and haul a bunch of 4 foot limbs upright with a strap holding them or 2-3 big rounds at a time out

I have also envisioned a large 2 wheel wheel barrow of home made construction with a big flat bed but larger than normal wheels .

really neither that far form the other but I always get sticker shock when I go to find suitable wheels new

I was thinking that those fat tire bikes I see people riding around , if I could get a set of those rims and tires but man are they expensive .

I think I would be looking for taller wheels to better roll over roots and such.

I used to get all my wood out in a wheel barrow , I had to clear a path of debris or I would keep getting hung up

I envisioned a 2 wheel hand truck that had big wheels on the sides so as it pivoted back the weight was mostly over the wheels like the tall wheel welding tank carts and haul a bunch of 4 foot limbs upright with a strap holding them or 2-3 big rounds at a time out

I have also envisioned a large 2 wheel wheel barrow of home made construction with a big flat bed but larger than normal wheels .

really neither that far form the other but I always get sticker shock when I go to find suitable wheels new

I was thinking that those fat tire bikes I see people riding around , if I could get a set of those rims and tires but man are they expensive .

You mean something like this?

http://www.cartsvermont.com/shop/log-haulers/woodchuck-ii-hauler-with-pellet-plate/

I thought of converting an old dolly into one of these. I'd take the small tires off and replace with repurposed bicycle tires from a mountain bike. Then make a slip on tubular frame that resembles one of these carts. The frame would have "legs" in front so the cart sits level when getting filled, as the bigger tires would elevate the loading surface higher off the ground.

I have one but it has wheelbarrow wheels on it. Bought it on closeout at TSC for $25 or $35 a couple of years ago. It's still sitting behind my barn, the only one to use it was my 4 year old grandson. All I wanted was the wheels for spares. I have too much stuff ( says my wife).

I’ve seen that video before. Not really a good comparison as the competitors cart is more designed for moving trees around at nursery’s. I’d rather see him compare similar featured carts like the stein to the strongway, or the stein to the notch log trolley

I didn't put that up as one vs the other but just to show what it will do , there are plenty of better vids out there .
I built one a few years ago for myself and liked it , I lent it to a friend that has a small arborist company , he loved it , now I have to build another for myself lol

You mean something like this?

http://www.cartsvermont.com/shop/log-haulers/woodchuck-ii-hauler-with-pellet-plate/

I thought of converting an old dolly into one of these. I'd take the small tires off and replace with repurposed bicycle tires from a mountain bike. Then make a slip on tubular frame that resembles one of these carts. The frame would have "legs" in front so the cart sits level when getting filled, as the bigger tires would elevate the loading surface higher off the ground.

My grandpa has the large vermont garden cart he bought it in the late 70s I grew up just down the road from him and I used that cart a lot used to pull it behind my bike would load up all the leaves from our yard and take them down to his garden for mulch , but I fear busting the wood with big rounds so I was thinking sort of like the large vermont cart a touch narrower so it will go through a 36 inch door with a heavier flat bed and have holes for stakes to hold logs on instead of ply wood sides. the propbelm with mountain bike wheeles is they take liek a 1/4 inch shaft though the hub so they need to be supported from both sides to take the weight.

the vermont carts have wheels that ar 1/2 or 5/8 hubs to take the weight

I would also do wheel barrow style handles

then I found a friend with a farm who will drag the wood out with the tractor or logs with the skidsteer and I stopped thinking so hard about the cart idea

small wheels didn't do obstructions well

I like that video but I would really like to see how it pulls int he woods it is a whole different place than a flat asphalt parking lot I can run wheel barrow all day long on asphalt or packed gravel even a mowed yard , used to barrow loads of cement in to do pool patios in peoples back yards . I run wheel barrow right up a 2x10 in my front door to bring wood into the 3 season front porch and park it outside my front door.

I have a LogRite 'Fetching' arch. It has an extension handle, a ring handle, and a quad hitch w/two speed hand winch. The first two are used with the log tongs. The arch has wide floatation tires and is not easily used in soft ground as in the woods with the one or two man handle. The handle sits unused.

Wheel and stub axles can be found at the junk yard. Super Saver spares and K car or mini van rear stub axles. The junkyard uses them on their own wheel barrows for customers to wheel tools and parts in and out of the self service yard.

I built one myself recently using repurposed materials.

It's really just a brush cart for me. Mines light duty and has decent space so works well for brush.

I may start using it out more with firewood and other materials. It rolls better than a wheelbarrow thanks to how the weight is distributed but I can't see myself hauling my winter firewood out of the woods with it unless there were no other options. I mean I hauled a cord of splits out once, by armload, it'd look gravy next to that.

The Notch I know has a ton of steel in it, for someone it may be perfect but for brush it's overkill. That northern is a little off but the price is right, the Stein is nearly perfect and the price reflects it.

That northern one, you'd really want some uprights unless it comes with extra pieces.

Give you guys an idea.

Could easily be converted to a moving rack essentially for delivering/moving firewood. I think I could move half a face cord consistently on sidewalks or driveways if it was setup with sides.

IMG_20190118_121432040_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back