Stuck on new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69mach1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone im new to this site as a member but have been reading for awhile from Google search.. looking for a new saw either a stihl ms 391 or ms261 i don't know about the mtronic system so wondering who has it how long and any problems... thanks in advance justin

Yes i am i have alot of stihl products that work well for me and would like to stay with them

Ok just wondering I owned a ms290 and a 390 and sold both and went echo cs620 and do not regret at all cheaper price wise then stihl and work amazing but good luck with whatever you purchase

Thanks JWilliams but i want to stay with stihl but appreciate your feedback... i have two old pioneer chainsaws i don't use and are in my barn and i have a 023 stihl and an ms 250... so i guess am adding lol

I personally would go 261 there’s a reason it’s the pro grade... to me comparing that to the 290 farm boss the farm boss doesn’t stand a chance n I’m sure is the same comparing the 361 to a 391 pro grade is just better don’t get stuck on the “ms” number for sizes

Thanks for the reply do you have any mtronic saws if so any problems kinda scares me but like the pro saw

Absolutely not just something new so just looking to see how long any one has had the mtronic with or without problems. The stihl dealer did recommend the 261 over the 391 i wanted a 24 inch bar but he said it was not made to run all the time... he said put 20 inch bars on both and the 261 would sitll walk all over the 391
. Thanks for the reply and any further advice

I haven't had a single issue with any mtronic saw I have had and do currently own.

241, 261, 362 and 661. All have been flawless. When the 462 hits the shelves the 461 may go bye bye.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thank you good to know! This is more of the info i am looking for. About how long have you owned some of these saws

On average mostly under 40 in in diameter about five to six chords a year is what I'm cutting this is where I'm confused that he said price point they're the same dollar-for-dollar saw the 261 is just a better performing saw

For it's weight and cc size it is, but 391 vs 261 is really apples to oranges other than price.

In my opinion, and considering your current saw lineup, you should be looking at a 70cc saw with a 20" bar for the size of wood you're tackling. Both of those saws are overmatched even approaching 40" wood.

What I meant to say is 40 is the largest diameter there's not too many trees that big that I would be cutting and and I'm already looking to spend in Canada close to $800 plus tax two little bit more than I wanted to spend just looking at performance issues and longevity of both saws

I would go 261 over the 391 without much hesitation - especially since you emphasized longevity & performance. But I don't think I would put a 24" bar on either. Likely 20" at the most.

If you really wanted to run a 24" bar (which wouldn't be a bad 2 saw plan if you are keeping the 250), I would step up to the 362. Which they were selling for $900 this fall up here. But with an absolute max of 40" wood, the 20" might be OK.

The 362 is still the same ballpark, power wise. If you want your saw to last, don't burn it up.
If you would cut tree's lets say 30" hardwood, I would also advice a 70cc (to 90cc) (at least 6 HP or so). If you are burying your bar, I use the formula 1HP for every 10cm (about 4 inches)
You can get away with far less, but it won't be as fun, and your saw won't have a good laugh either. It's going to wear out the clutch, the bar won't get enough oil, has to work overtime etc.
If that mark up is to much, first remember you just pay it ones and hopefully will last you years and years.
Second, if you can't afford it, let go of that Stihl logo. They are very expensive.
Better buy the right tool for the job.
Stihl or no Stihl.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back