Stump Grinder Decision Carlton 5014 Vs. Rayco RG55

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arborista007

Reaction score
Looking for new or close to new stump grinder. Two choices locally, Option 1: Carlton 5014, last years model with 10 hours, Kubota diesel 44 HP., tracks, no remote, $34,000. Vs. Option 2: New Rayco RG 55, new Kubota Gasser 55HP., wheels, no remote, $44,000. Looking for info about either brand, tracks vs wheels, remote no remote etc. Thanks!

look at the Vermeer sc60TX! 40K can buy a good used one with less than 1000 hours. whole different game level.

THX ne later, OR u never knew what u r missing!

I have a 2014 4012 with a 44 kubota and I love it. I have the wheeled unit, but obviously they are pretty close aside from the 10 extra inches of sweep and the 2 inches of depth in the 5014.

Not sure what you were running before, but this was a game changer for me. I was running a rayco 1625 and making the switch to diesel was night and day and took my company to the next level.

I really like how the carlton is put together. It is easy to work on and is just engineered correctly. And its true what they say about belt driven vs hydros, sure you may have to adjust the belts from time to time and keep a better eye on them, but the extra power is well worth it.

I have been running it for two and a half years now and have put over 500 hours on it. The only issues I have ever had was a broken turnbuckle for the clutch engagement which took all of 5 min to fix, a snapped throttle cable which I'm sure if I caught it earlier, would have never broke, and a leaky seal for one of the drive wheels which again was 100% my fault from how I trailered the machine.

Back