Stump grinder revenue per run hour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howel07264

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK guys its time to brag about how profitable you are grinding stumps. I have found that the key to being profitable is to generate the maximum dollars for every hour run on your hour meter on your equipment. For example : lets say you put 200 hours on your machine last year and it generated $40,000 then that would be $200 per run hour.
So tell us your machine lets hear how profitable you guys are!

Let me put it this way ... I did a job for a lawyer for $375. He was good with the price. It took me nearly an hour. When I was finished he remarked, "Wow! I don't even charge my clients that much." I said, "That's what I used to say when I was a lawyer".

Good stuff! I see were both using a Carlton. People wouldn't believe how fast and productive these machines are. I see people posting they grind for 2 hours and cleanup for $150 and I LOL

Good stuff! I see were both using a Carlton. People wouldn't believe how fast and productive these machines are. I see people posting they grind for 2 hours and cleanup for $150 and I LOL
I keep records of everything I do in this business. I just sold my Carlton SP7015 yesterday and have a Carlton 7015TRX on the way. I already feel naked without having my stump grinder. I absolutely love this business. I retired eleven years ago and said I never wanted to work another day. I accidentally got into stump grinding and this track machine will be my fourth stump grinder. Both Carlton's were new. At the end of the day, if I have not averaged at least $300 or $400 per hour of grind time, I know I underbid the job. With one of these machines, you can never give an hourly rate because people will send you packing. Like I pointed out above with the lawyer, he was happy with the $375 bid but had I told him upfront that I would do the job for $375 per hour he would have laughed in my face. On large jobs, after doing this business for nine years, I can pretty much look at a job and give a price knowing about how long it will take me. Once I give a price, I never go back to my customer and ask for more money if I underbid it and I do underbid jobs now and then. I just grumble to myself and go on my way and never mention to the customer that I underbid it.

I never dreamed I would be doing this so long, Starting my 17th year in January. I love going out for a couple of hours and coming home the rest of the day relaxing. I never work by the hour, I always quote the cost of the job not a cost of my time. If I quoted what the machine makes me in an hour I would never get a job. I started with a Carlton 44hp 4400 wheeled machine and have using my TRX since 2009. You will love the tracked machine. No more taking off and putting on he wheels...YUK

I haven't bought my own machine yet. I will, just not yet. Currently I rent a toro stx 38 for $255. This past weekend I averaged around $200 per grinding hour after expenses. I plan to pick up this same machine at some point next year.

Back