Stump grinder teeth sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this Post Mike, This is what I have been thinking as far as sharpening goes. I just bought a machine to clear my fields and now the phone is ringing for me to work other peoples fields. My machine came w/ two 5 gallon buckets of used teeth from the original owner. many may not be worth the effort... but I intend to get the wheels you are using as they were already on my radar and I'll spend a few long evenings at the grinder.
I would ask that if you or anyone else is in the mode... to video your setup and a few teeth being sharpened.
Thanks

As much as the internet is a blessing and a wealth of information, it is very refreshing to see so many who are unabashed at sharing information. There is plenty of work out there... unfortunately in today's climate there seems to be few who have the initiative to get up and take on the load... divulging trade "secrets" is not as hamstringing as it was when the American drive was stronger.

Thanks Chris, Basically you just want to replicate the angles of new teeth. You want to grind away the steel along the braze line (sideways, so to speak), and then grind the carbide perpendicular to that (in the direction of the cut). I use an 8" grinder, but bigger is always better (more expensive) So a 10" would be faster, but at what cost? Just be sure NOT to breath or wear that dust! Treat it like Asbestos! It's bad news! I've used a powerful blower outside in nice weather, or a dedicated shop vac that sucks the dust outside in the cold (respirator also in that case). "Ring" your wheels before mounting (a hidden crack will make a "clunk"), and stand aside for a minute when you first power up a new wheel.
Good to see you've got the work, Regards, Mike
P.S. Ringing is just supporting the wheel through the center with a screwdriver or similar, and then lightly tapping it on the side towards the outer edge with a hammer handle (hard wood) or similar. Ring Good; Clunk Bad

I am interested in finding someone to professionally sharpen my stump grinder teeth. I have a Carlton SP 7015 with the Razor wheel. New teeth are $15 each. Carlton will sharpen for $4.75 but they send them out and I would have to pay shipping to Carlton, I would pay shipping to and from the sharpener, and then I would pay shipping back to me. So, you can see, there is a lot just tied up in shipping four different times. Even with all the shipping costs, it will save quite a bit if I pay Carlton to job this out. Who knows a good tooth sharpener. I don't want to sharpen the teeth myself.
Don't know if you've ever tried Bucktooth teeth but their new mini teeth are what I have retro-fitted my Bandit 3400. They last more than twice as long, meaning no sharpening, just run them and when they're done, scrap 'em in the steel recycle. But they are a tough teeth. No more sharpening and shipping back and forth hassle.$$. They're about $15.85 each. You have to have a wheel made by them but it was well worth it in the long run. Just a thought.

David Billy Bob recommends Billy Bob David at Bobby David Billy's sharpening service, located just outside of Skunk Ape Hills, Alabama. Not affiliated with Billy Bob David's world famous monkey suit in a bathtub bigfoot hoaxes and stump grinder teeth sharpening service, and this recommendation is given without monetary compensation or promises of cheap moonshine. Free UFO rides for the kids! Genuine Sasquatch Teeth and Possum Innards for sale in the gift shop.

AlienAutopsy385x385.jpg

Monroe Rapid edge in Monroe MI. There is a AS member called Blades and I know he sharpens.
I bought a diamond wheel do my own it cost me $164 and I have over 200 yellow jacket sharpened with it and the wheel still looks new. The wheel has paid for itself over and over. Just sayin.

I am interested in finding someone to professionally sharpen my stump grinder teeth. I have a Carlton SP 7015 with the Razor wheel. New teeth are $15 each. Carlton will sharpen for $4.75 but they send them out and I would have to pay shipping to Carlton, I would pay shipping to and from the sharpener, and then I would pay shipping back to me. So, you can see, there is a lot just tied up in shipping four different times. Even with all the shipping costs, it will save quite a bit if I pay Carlton to job this out. Who knows a good tooth sharpener. I don't want to sharpen the teeth myself.

Monroe Rapid edge in Monroe MI. There is a AS member called Blades and I know he sharpens.
I bought a diamond wheel do my own it cost me $164 and I have over 200 yellow jacket sharpened with it and the wheel still looks new. The wheel has paid for itself over and over. Just sayin.
Do you only use a Dimond wheel? Or do you grind the metal away first with something else?

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Really depends on type of tooth. Green teeth just use wheel to sharpen teeth done. Rayco super teeth you need to grind away metal then the carbide. Hope that helps you. Wear a mask and blow dust away very bad breathing that stuff.

May I ask what wheel you have specifically?

I've posted many times on here about this but here you go again
I also have a 7015 a fenominal cutter I have the new river wheel but the cutting tips are basically the same.
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME CONTINUOUSLY REPACING/REMOVING THE TEETH!
Here's what you need
- A 4.5 grinder I like the rechargeable grinder like the DeWalt and 5 batteries if I tune the teeth up every night after 8 or so hours of grinding it takes 3.5 batteries if they are really rounded it takes 5
- a green diamond wheel with a cutting surface that's about 1/2 inch wide I've seen them for sale on eBay or from Gabdon industries
- a particulate mask
- eye protection
It is best to sharpen with the teeth still in the wheel because they are held fast and you can apply good pressure to them
TIPS
It is best to only sharpen the face of the tooth once you have the surface flat again make your edge by lightly grinding the top surface
after you have sharpened the teeth 8-10 times they will start to badly round the corners so what I do is tip the wheel so I cut downward and make a 45 on the rounded edge in the same plane as the circumstance of the disk
I generally get 30-40 sharpenings on my teeth before they are worn out or break off
I've been using the same green wheel on my DeWalt grinder for 2.5 years and I will probably replace it this year
I grind ~ 8-10,000 stumps a year with my Carlton I used to spend $2-3000 per year in new teeth now that I have been sharpening them on the machine I don't go through $500 .... Just a little time.
It usually takes me 45-50 mins to sharpen all my teeth.
Another tip is start using the Long shorts on your leading teeth it will dramatically reduce your wear on the wheel the pockets and the side holders!

I hope this helps
I’m definitely trying this on my razor tooth wheel on my Carlton

Just to update this old thread I haven't sharpened teeth in several years, not worth my time. When I posted 7 years ago I had time now not so much. The wheel was from Eagle Super Abrasives 36grit.

The green wheel is made of Silicon carbide! .... Synthetic diamond! I have used mine for 4 years I just swapped to a new wheel last week my new river disk gets 36 of the teeth sharpened every other night I would safely say that I have sharpened over 12,000 teeth with the wheel and it cost me 80 dollars
Pretty worth it I'd say
Diamond is good to it just costs more and I can't speak to how long they last
I cannot find the green diamond wheel for a 4 inch hand grinder. Any help would be appreciated.

Back