Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmtrapper13

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys brand new here so cut me some slack on first post. Lol
Looking to spend 20-25k on new stump grinder just for a side business for me. Not looking to get rich or anything. Sick of watching YouTube vids. I’m currently looking at Bandit and the new Toro 38
Are these anything y’all would consider?
I think I definitely want a tracked machine
Remote control would be nice too. Thanks in advance

You might consider going with a little older wheeled machine in exchange for some more HP. If you search Google for Morbark D52SPH or Bandit 2450, those are a couple machines that offer pretty decent bang for the buck.

Found a new bandit track model in Maryland 17k
It’s the smaller hp but price is hard to beat
Just don’t know if it’s strong enough

If you stray from Carlton or Bandit, you will probably be making a mistake. I was in the stump grinding business for over 12 years, and those are the two brands I think are the best. Go used, if you can find a good one, and this will allow you to get the remote control and some higher horsepower. Anything under 30HP is going to be slow on hard stumps and big stumps. Unfortunately, stump grinders that are worth a darn, are getting very expensive to buy.

Found a new bandit track model in Maryland 17k
It’s the smaller hp but price is hard to beat
Just don’t know if it’s strong enough-
Couple months ago I rented Bandit’s smallest track grinder, most likely the same one your looking at. It had the 38hp big block option and for such a small machine it kicked ass. If the one your looking at is like you say the smaller hp, spend a little more get the bigger motor option- you won’t regret it. My dealer here quoted me 19ish.

Ok guys I think I’ve narrowed it down to a Carlton Track machine with remote and 37 hp gas. 5014trx
I guess next is insurance and getting LLC. Don’t mean to sound stupid but do I need a DOT number for my truck now ? I know I have to look into Pennsylvnia laws more. Truck and trailer are plenty heavy enough to haul this btw. Rather hear it from guys with experience like you all on starting a business
Thanks again for all the help already

No, you do not need a DOT number as long as your truck, trailer and load are under 26,000. Not sure exactly, but the grinder probably does not weigh over 2000#. I assume you do not have a large truck and trailer.

Just F350 and 8k trailer
Thanks for the help. Shopping insurance now. Gonna try red shield but don’t know if they’ll service Pennsylvnia

Latest posts

Back