stump grinding depth

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the disclaimer about underground utilities but I don't know where you are located at but here if you hit an underground line of any sort you are responsible for the cost of fixing it and the cost of the local emergency personal that come out to the job if they are notified. I have my stumps marked if there is any question of me hitting something other then a gutter down spout.

:agree2:

No amount of disclaimers will absolve you of liability for public utilities. In fact, in Mo & Ks, only the contractor doing the digging (or grinding) can make the call to get the utility locate. They won't talk to the property owner unless that is who is doing the digging.

On the other hand, if you dig up the gas line to their patio grill, that disclaimer might come in real handy.

On the other hand, if you dig up the gas line to their patio grill, that disclaimer might come in real handy.

Exactly, private UG utilities. Garage/shed service, well wires that with odd runs, irrigation....I've found 3/4" galvanized pipe leading to an old garden hosebib that was engulfed by the tree. they had to turn the house water off and call the plumber.

i have a customer who is requesting her stumps be ground 18 to 24 inches deep is this normal ... we usually grind about 8 inches deep ... these stumps are gigantic plus they are going to covered with about 12 feet of dirt ... anyhow i have to grind them really deep do you guys usually grind that deep ? dark

Well, I am coming in late I guess, but I have not read further than this first post without reading more. First of all, she is asking and paying you to do what she wants and Second is, she is right. You go deep enough to seperate the stump from the roots and that is usually about 18 to 24 inches. Now , I will read on.
Jeff

Did you bid to remove the stump or did you bid to chase roots? And to some of you guys who say that when I say I will grind the stump- Did you?, or did you just grind to your depth perception? Do sprouts shoot off the roots and they are calling you back? Seperate the stump, even if it is different than your perception. If the roots are seperated from the stump (what ever depth) the landscapers are removing the roots and should be known to be protocol or bid in.
Jeff

Back