Stump Grinding prices??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^ agreed, sometimes its nice to know what other people are charging because it gives you an idea of what the market will accept.
To some extent we all have a responsibility to stand firm(ish) on pricing - if you have enough work that's easier said than done obviously. I just bought a 2001 Carlton 4400-4 last night, machine is pretty big big and heavy for my purposes but I'm excited about entering the bigger stump market:)

Would like to make a couple comments here. First, the idea of drumming up a bunch of business first then buying the machine is wrong for a couple of reasons. It shows a lack of confidence in yourself and your abilities to make a go of this. It puts any potential customers in a bad position, how can you possibly bid jobs fairly like this? I would never buy a lawn tractor and put on an attachment. You will lose so much business right off the bat for many good, previously mentioned reasons. If you want to see how something is done, watch how the pros do it. I have never seen any one do it like this and make it work. Don't try to reinvent the wheel, at least for now.

I have read all the posts on stump grinding pricing. Basically there are three “camps”:

1. “Inchers” = charging by diameter inch

2. “Area” = charging by the area of the stump and occasionally taking into account height to charge by volume (have to remember high school math and pi x radius squared)

3. “Time” = charging a hourly rate

After using all 3 methods in different scenarios I have concluded there is no single method that works in all situations. “Inchers” inevitably charge less for bigger stumps. “Area” and “Volume” result in charging, arguably accurate but extremely high prices that are likely not market-competitive for large stumps. “Time” results in undercharging for very small stumps.

Now some of these methods can be modified to take into account the other methods benefits. For example, “inchers” can charge $2/inch for 30” to 50” and $3/inch for 50” to 70”. Doing this is simply a way of compensating for the fact that the area (the amount of work) increases by 4 times when the diameter doubles. That being said, anyone that charges a flat inch rate, that doesn’t change as the size of the stump increases, is doing themselves a huge disservice.

So after much thought, excel formulas, reading posts like this, talking with a veteran stump grinder with +30 years experience and my own lessons learned the hard way here are my recommendations and what I am doing. Feel free to knock holes in it and criticize. We all learn from the conversation (maybe even convince everyone to start charging more for those really big stumps).

1. Determine your minimum. This will be different for everyone depending on years in business, equipment used, location, financial situation, and your personality. The range I have seen on the postings is about $50 - $250. For me, its $60.

2. Determine the max size of a stump you will grind for your minimum. For me its 30”. That would take me about 10 – 15 minutes. It’s a personal choice but the decision can be guided by your choices in step #3 below.

3. Determine your per inch rate after the minimum. For me its $2/inch from 30” to 42”. Then $3/inch from 42” to 60”. I will make more per minute on the 43” stump vs. the 60” stump. I just accept this fact and appreciate that I can give a ballpark estimate over the phone, the customer can understand it and there are some efficiencies of lining up on one 60” stump and grinding away vs. doing four 30” stumps (both equal the same cubic inch volume).

4. Determine your hourly rate for big stumps. I consider a big stump anything bigger than 60”. I am not recommending telling your customer what your hourly rate is. But you should know your hourly rate. Then use your experience to determine how many minutes it will take to grind it. If I have a 90” ash it may take me 80 minutes. If I have a brand new Carlton 7500 and 30 years experience it may take only 30 – 45 minutes. For me my hourly rate is $150 (keep in mind this is only for big stump scenarios). That guy with the brand new carlton may be $300/hr. The tricky part here is that I would only be using this method on a 61” stump so my price is already $183. So its only at the 73 minute point that I would use this method. Remember to keep it simple, so call it one hour. To summarize if a job is going to take me longer than a hour I will charge $180 + $2.50/machine minutes for every minute after the initial 60 machine minutes. Man that sounds complicated. But if you try to keep it simple by charging by the inch you will undercharge big time. If you use area or volume you will be likely be charging way above the market because most operators don’t think about pricing this way. If you use the hourly rate you will be able to decide if this particular stump is worthwhile to you. You just have to be able to know ahead of time what your machine is capable of doing in that specific situation.

So to wrap up this very long post, let’s talk about variables. Variables to consider:

Type of tree: soft or hard. All my pricing is based on a medium hardwood like an Ash.

Tree condition: rotten?

Access: front yard grind and go or backyard tight gate pain in the rear

Roots

Depth required

Stump height: For stump height I treat all stumps 6.5 inches or less the same. I do this because my machine can grind that height down to a reasonable depth in one pass. Anything above that I will have to take two (or more) passes. To account for that I use an admittedly complicated method of determining the total cubic volume then comparing that to my pricing standards for the 6.5 inch height stump. For example a 12” stump height x 30” diameter is equal to a 6.5” stump height x 40” diameter. So I would charge anywhere from 1.5 to 2 times more for that higher 30" diameter stump because the cubic volume doubled. Note that the relationship between height and cubic volume is different than the relationship between diameter and cubic volume. With height the cubic volume doubles as the height doubles. With diameter the cubic volume quadruples as the diameter doubles.

Summary:

OK so sum all this up.

· $60 minimum up to 30” stump

· $2/inch for stumps 30” to 42”

· $3/inch for stumps 42” to 60”

· Use $150/hr rate for stumps that exceed a $180 charge using the per inch method.

· For my area, to stay competitive, I can keep it simple and continue to charge $3/inch for stumps greater than 60” to 100”. It’s my personal decision to get the jobs vs. taking the objective mathematical approach but not getting the job.

· After 100” its kind of a wild west situation and just have to know how much time its going to take and then decide what makes it worth it to you. There is an argument to be made to letting people take these huge stumps for a low bid and hopefully learn a lesson.

Some quick things about me to help evaluate: I’m a rookie. Been in the business for two seasons. Grinding is my side-business. Learned stump grinding two decades ago during college summer breaks. I use a very old Carlton 7500 and an equally old Carlton 4400-4. 420 stumps complete and counting. Average stump diameter 35".

You've obviously put a lot of thought into this. Do you give an estimate over the phone or a fixed price? Do you visit the site prior to and give a fixed price? We have salesmen, so they are required to visit the site to give a fixed price. At times I think they just pull a number out of the air.

How do you price mulch removal? I know from experience it takes as long to haul the mulch as it does to grind the stump.

What about hedges? I did a hedge stump removal today, it was about 25 5" stumps. Did it in about 10 minutes moving along the hedge.

As you said, it's not the standard ones that will burn you, its the unique situations. We don't have a lot of competition, in that there aren't a lot of stump grinding only services, most grinders are tied to tree care companies and do it as an additional service. Therefore, there isn't a lot of price pressure.

First, I cut the stump as flush as possible. No cost. Usually takes 2 minutes at most for big stumps, minimal time for small stumps. For grinding, I go by inch rate first, $3/in up to 20 inches and then it's 20 cents per square inch for stumps over 20". Doing the math, 20" is about where the two rates cross paths. By this math, comparing the 2 methods, a 36" stump by the inch method would cost 36" x $3 = $108, by the area method 3.14(18 x 18) x .2 = $203.50, big difference. 48" stump? 48 x 3 = $144, or $362.
As far as market rates, keep in mind, as the diameter goes up, I make a lot more money which potentially puts me out of the range for the stump to be ground due to cost to the consumer but keep in mind also, most stumps around my area are less than 3' diameter.

If I have multiple stumps, all less than 20", I still go by the inch method due to the fact that they will grind fast.

You're all right in all the mentioned above.

But all thoughts and math won't help if the next one who's quoting the 3' lump just bids by the inch @ 2$, or anyone with a big hp grinder bids 250$ for doing 30 x 10" because he is done in half an hour.

I look at the job and see the accessibility, how long to get the grinder to the stump, how much crud we have to wheelbarrow away, how long it will take to grind and clean up and bid $200 an hour with a $125 minimum. I can't send my worker out with a truck, trailer, and diesel grinder to grind a 18" stump for 70 bucks. I'd lose money. The biggest drain is driving to the job so you have to maintain a minimum.

I look at the job and see the accessibility, how long to get the grinder to the stump, how much crud we have to wheelbarrow away, how long it will take to grind and clean up and bid $200 an hour with a $125 minimum. I can't send my worker out with a truck, trailer, and diesel grinder to grind a 18" stump for 70 bucks. I'd lose money. The biggest drain is driving to the job so you have to maintain a minimum.

Same here, bid by the hour with a one hour minimum.
Jeff

Everything we do is by time your guys are hourly right? We do do big contracts every now and then that is based on dbh they are rare but we price them high real hi. If we didn't cut the tree, normally we don't even offer a price but for the ones we do its generally a 275 dollar minimum. Our estimater looks at it to make sure we don't waste crew time we regularly have 3 to 4 hundred dollars stumps, that does include hauling excess material

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back