stump vice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
millbilly submitted a new Showcase Item:

stump vice

Oregon+Filing+Vise_M.jpg
I have been wanting one of these for many years. I had to spend $300 at Bailys to get a 40 dollar coupon, that I used for suspenders and jeans.

What a disappointment this vice was, here is why, The points are to shorrrt and stubby and won't go into the stump, if you can get it in it has a tendency to pop back out. The stump I tried it on was a Red Oak and an Ash. I even tried setting it in the sap wood with poor results.

I think if they made the points longer and not s fastof taper it might help. Also it might work better in softer wood pine, spruce not sure.

Read more about this showcase item here...

I've never used one... is it meant to go into the bark instead of the end grain of a block of wood? I always wondered how these work... now I know.

There are many styles/models of this basic tool. I have a few that look similar. Compact and effective. Works well for me.

Holds the bar steady, freeing both hands to guide the file for uniform, consistent filing and angles.

You can file the points of the vise to penetrate easier/deeper, when tapped in place with an axe.

Philbert

There are many styles/models of this basic tool. I have a few that look similar. Compact and effective. Works well for me.

Holds the bar steady, freeing both hands to guide the file for uniform, consistent filing and angles.

You can file the points of the vise to penetrate easier/deeper, when tapped in place with an axe.

Philbert
The best tools are modified.

Since my large vise needs to be replaced, I actually use one of these hammered into the wood workbench. I hammer it into the same holes each time. I hammer it hard and not even that deep. I guess the wood is old solid and holds it well. Works fine for me. I also had OK hold in an old maple stump, but I could see how maybe it would not hold so well in soft green wood.

Looks pretty much the same as most other manufacturers version of the same thing. Think I paid about 14 bucks.

Back