SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I owe you all a big thank you, most of all Foggysail. The fix worked!!! I worked on it Friday night, put the saw back together on Saturday and spent Sunday in the woods running the 056 hard, 3+ tanks of gas on a hot day. The saw has never run more than 15min before the fix. I am working on a video to put on you tube showing the fix and the happy saw. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• IMG_3646.MOV
    8.3 MB · Views: 59
I'm really curious about how your caps work out. The Philips caps from Taiwan are pricey by comparison but are also a proven solution. Sucks that they're so difficult to come by. Would certainly be cool to find a more commonly available substitute that proves to be as reliable.

Per the spec they should be equivalent. The heat rating might even be better.

1uf 400v DC /250 AC polypropylene, ac /pulse rated on both of them. Specs are the same

Those are the ones I ordered. There were 7 packs three days ago and I ordered two. Looks like someone else snagged one while there were still a couple left.

Per the spec they should be equivalent. The heat rating might even be better.

1uf 400v DC /250 AC polypropylene, ac /pulse rated on both of them. Specs are the same

I wish I would have looked into them more closely and am anxious to see how they work out for folks. Seems to be a decent supply available.

Many here in the forum may have read my recent posts regarding the Bosch electronic ignition. My 056 pooped the bed or better still make that my lawn while I was in the middle of clearing trees. And yes, problem was no spark. I have also read numerous posts stating that the cause is "coil opening while hot." Well folks, I doubt its either of the magnetic devices in the ignition needed for it to function. My advice....save your money, do not replace the high voltage transformer or the charging inductor. They are the least likely to fail but my saw's component that did fail operated on the border of component death. Just a matter of time before they all fail.

The problem resides in the potted electronics, that area between the charging inductor and the high voltage transformer. AND THEY CAN BE REPAIRED! NO so called little fix all boxes to take the place of the original ignition, no retiming, just bright blue spark or at least that is what mine now displays in my basement after repair.

Now here is a gutcha. If somebody will part with a junk ignition which I need for two reasons, I will take pictures of how to make the repair, provide written instructions and explain which part needs to be purchased. I purchased my part on EBay, bought 10 of them, delivered for under $7 bucks.

The reason I need another ignition is to verify this is the common fault that folks experience with an ignition failure. I think it is but I feel uncomfortable with a repair sample of 1. The next reason is mine is too ripped apart (it functions though) to take pictures for repair instructions. If anybody in the forum has one they want to contribute to the cause, I gladly pay for shipping and handling. This is a chance for every 045/056 with bad ignitions to get their saw running again. Mine now works.... I have not yet started the saw, just got may parts in this afternoon and rushed to install one. Just too anxious to put that off.

So there you have it. I believe all the failures or at least the greatest number of them are from the same component failure. Too many guys have seen their great 045/056 go belly up with no practical repair. There is hope guys and it is free but I am not going to even attempt to describe how to make the repair until I can do it properly. And you do not need electrical skills although you will need a soldering iron and solder purchased from Radio Shack or some other place that sells electronic stuff. The repair probably take around an hour to complete. You cannot use plumbing solder. So lets see how much interest this thread excites if any.

Foggy

20180813_182743.jpg A big thanks to this thread as I have quite a few bosch ignition modules and just repaired the first based on this thread. Kudos to all who provided this info. Here are a few pics of the repair. 20180813_172751.jpg 20180813_174319.jpg 20180813_182518.jpg

Yes, thank you. I'm just trying to get a feel for any other caps being successfully used for this. There seem to be consistently successful results with originally recommended Philips cap, but not much in the way of positive results with substitute caps.

The correct info for the cap ratings/specs are all there in the first few pages but...

Unfortunately ebay seems to be recycling the auction reference numbers somehow so that old links work but now come up as completely different auctions.
The original link posted by the op (on the first page post #7) now points to a .1uf cap, so those that don't read far enough in may have issues/confusion in that regard.
At least they're only 99 cents, lol...

Would be good if a mod could maybe just delete the link? @pioneerguy600

Many here in the forum may have read my recent posts regarding the Bosch electronic ignition. My 056 pooped the bed or better still make that my lawn while I was in the middle of clearing trees. And yes, problem was no spark. I have also read numerous posts stating that the cause is "coil opening while hot." Well folks, I doubt its either of the magnetic devices in the ignition needed for it to function. My advice....save your money, do not replace the high voltage transformer or the charging inductor. They are the least likely to fail but my saw's component that did fail operated on the border of component death. Just a matter of time before they all fail.

The problem resides in the potted electronics, that area between the charging inductor and the high voltage transformer. AND THEY CAN BE REPAIRED! NO so called little fix all boxes to take the place of the original ignition, no retiming, just bright blue spark or at least that is what mine now displays in my basement after repair.

Now here is a gutcha. If somebody will part with a junk ignition which I need for two reasons, I will take pictures of how to make the repair, provide written instructions and explain which part needs to be purchased. I purchased my part on EBay, bought 10 of them, delivered for under $7 bucks.

The reason I need another ignition is to verify this is the common fault that folks experience with an ignition failure. I think it is but I feel uncomfortable with a repair sample of 1. The next reason is mine is too ripped apart (it functions though) to take pictures for repair instructions. If anybody in the forum has one they want to contribute to the cause, I gladly pay for shipping and handling. This is a chance for every 045/056 with bad ignitions to get their saw running again. Mine now works.... I have not yet started the saw, just got may parts in this afternoon and rushed to install one. Just too anxious to put that off.

So there you have it. I believe all the failures or at least the greatest number of them are from the same component failure. Too many guys have seen their great 045/056 go belly up with no practical repair. There is hope guys and it is free but I am not going to even attempt to describe how to make the repair until I can do it properly. And you do not need electrical skills although you will need a soldering iron and solder purchased from Radio Shack or some other place that sells electronic stuff. The repair probably take around an hour to complete. You cannot use plumbing solder. So lets see how much interest this thread excites if any.

Foggy

Foggy

I just bought a 056 av super.. with no spark.. pull the ignition pack out... where do I find these capacitors in this.. do I cut it open? Or do I have to just buy a new one? Any help would be grateful.

You'll need to read just a little more than the first post to get anything out of this thread. Page 3 is where the pics begin and there's also some at the top of this page. 'Course none of it will matter unless your saw has the Bosch ignition setup.

On the other hand, you may just have a short in the kill wire which is common with these saws regardless of the ignition module.

Had started this project when I still had my 045 Super down in southern Mexico but only gotten so far as buying the capacitor, disassembling the flywheel and pulling the ignition off. I bought the saw about 6 years ago and the saw always gave up after it heated up and wouldn't start again. I did a piston replacement, bearings, seals, and all manner of things on it before figuring out the ignition was definitely the problem. I bought an 056 Super head for $200 that I thought would be my parts saw but actually worked fine so I took to running it instead and put off the fix on the 045. The spark had gotten so erratic it would rarely even start anymore. Then my milling buddy got a new 660 because they were so ridiculously cheap in Mexico when the peso was at rock bottom, and both the old saws collected dust. A friend coming up from Oaxaca on his way to Canada brought my two old saws with him a couple weeks ago, and I started back dithering on the ignition fix a couple days ago. Worked on it in earnest today and got the cap soldered to the wires and fixed in place. Spun the flywheel with a drill and plugged in my spark tester and saw it had spark. Put everything back on and tried starting it with some years old gas still in the tank and low and behold it fired up. Still shaking my head in disbelief. Knew the fix had worked for many others, but somehow never expected it to work for me. Funny, I had stopped work to order a service manual a couple days ago because I couldn't figure out where some hidden screws were to get the casing off so I could remove the kill switch, but figured it out and got it working before the manual arrived yet.

Back