SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm familiar with the same ignitions being used on some of the Sachs-Dolmars. Just not quite following the reference to a Nova ignition module to replace the SEM in combination with a Bosch flywheel. I'm even more confused now after reading in your link that you're using a Saegenspezi electronic ignition module as a Bosch replacement and an external Nova chip. Didn't realize the Saegenspezi module required an external trigger?

I'm familiar with the same ignitions being used on some of the Sachs-Dolmars. Just not quite following the reference to a Nova ignition module to replace the SEM in combination with a Bosch flywheel. I'm even more confused now after reading in your link that you're using a Saegenspezi electronic ignition module as a Bosch replacement and an external Nova chip. Didn't realize the Saegenspezi module required an external trigger?

I've had other people read the information I posted and they have no trouble following exactly what I did. To help you out, I found a fault in the location of the Saegenspezi electronic ignition module (which is the equivalent of the Nova module) and mounted it externally be cause it would fail under the flywheel from heat.

What I am introducing in this thread is that you don't have to go to all the trouble of screwing around with the old module to make it work when a Nova module will take it's place as long as you use a Bosch flywheel and coil. If it's a SEM setup, junk it.

I hope this helps, I don't want to write a book with one typing finger on my dumb phone.

I found a fault in the location of the Saegenspezi electronic ignition module...

Gotcha. Didn't read that far in the link you provided.

But fwiw...,

The fix originally described here requires no timing compensation and is a simple modification of a bad Bosch module requiring only the correct capacitor wired into the module and mounted externally. No trouble at all.

But fwiw...,

The fix originally described here requires no timing compensation and is a simple modification of a bad Bosch module requiring only the correct capacitor wired into the module and mounted externally. No trouble at all.

The "fix" this thread started with was admittedly beyond my current electrical skills. So I introduced an alternative that would not have worked with the trigger of the original module that you speak of (which seems to be a SEM GA or Bosch?)

But fwiw...,

Okay. The SEM GE is both a module and coil charger. No independent coil charging from the coil fins reacting to the magnets.

You're missing a number -- 1107-400-510?. And what is it from? There will be different numbers for all the ignition components.
This was listed on eBay as it appears in my post. I have an 056 ave with the SEM module. I am looking for a replacement that will work. Thanks for the help!

This was listed on eBay as it appears in my post. I have an 056 ave with the SEM module. I am looking for a replacement that will work. Thanks for the help!

No, that one won’t fit the crank snout. Also the plug wire exits the coil in the back, and you need a side exit coil.

Keep looking for a good used late style SEM GA module, they do occasionally appear on fleabay, selling for less than $50.

Or you could go the route of Nolids & spend $150 plus for a Saegenspezi CDI stator, a replacement Taiwan made Nova trigger when it burns out it’s original Taiwan made trigger the next month, plus an OEM Bosch electronic FW to replace your original SEM FW, lol! It’s only money...

No, that one won’t fit the crank snout. Also the plug wire exits the coil in the back, and you need a side exit coil.

Keep looking for a good used late style SEM GA module, they do occasionally appear on fleabay, selling for less than $50.

Or you could go the route of Nolids & spend $150 plus for a Saegenspezi CDI stator, a replacement Taiwan made Nova trigger when it burns out it’s original Taiwan made trigger the next month, plus an OEM Bosch electronic FW to replace your original SEM FW, lol! It’s only money...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Elektronis...56-AV-045AV-056AV-ignition-coil-/200547461574

Or you could go the route of Nolids & spend $150 plus for a Saegenspezi CDI stator, a replacement Taiwan made Nova trigger when it burns out it’s original Taiwan made trigger the next month, plus an OEM Bosch electronic FW to replace your original SEM FW

Then there's the part about re-drilling and re-tapping the mounting plate for the Saegenspezi module along with re-positioning the flywheel for correct timing...

FWIW, I've read elsewhere that there are two different Saegenspezi modules. One is a completely integrated electronic module that works with a Bosch electronic ignition flywheel and the other a basic stator plate module requiring an external trigger for use with Bosch points flywheels. Maybe the correct combination wouldn't require any drilling or flywheel adjustment?

Regardless..., and as you conveyed...,

Both would certainly require more time, effort, parts, and money to affect a solution than what has clearly been established here as a simple, economical, and proven fix for bad Bosch electronic ignitions..., which after all is what this thread specifically addresses.

There are 30 other threads which discuss alternative options.

If it's such a simple fix to find the correct capacitor and install it why are there 36 pages on this thread? I originally suggested using a Nova module in place of repairing the old module. Under $15 with no other work other than mounting the Nova in the carburetor compartment. The rest of the gibberish on this thread is me explaining what I had to do with my Sachs Dolmar 133. Whatever.

This has the SEM GE module will the GA module fit it?

Yes, just like that.

Well, this thread is only about fixing a SEM GA, and you definitely have a GE. I see there are used GE's on eBay, but the design is garbage and I wouldn't buy something that is prone to failure. Your flywheel will not work with a GA module, so if I were you I would go with a Bosch ignition and matching flywheel. Either with points or a remote mounted ignition module (like I did). Check Stihl sources and eBay for the parts.

Well, this thread is only about fixing a SEM GA, and you definitely have a GE. I see there are used GE's on eBay, but the design is garbage and I wouldn't buy something that is prone to failure. Your flywheel will not work with a GA module, so if I were you I would go with a Bosch ignition and matching flywheel. Either with points or a remote mounted ignition module (like I did). Check Stihl sources and eBay for the parts.
Does anybody have a Bosch ignition module with matching FW for a 056 ave?

I have a 056 av in need of an ignition system. It has the SEM GE system now. Does anyone here have a Bosch ignition? None on eBay.

I’d like to convert so I could repair using foggysail fix. I know I will aslo need a Bosch flywheel. Will I also need the fanwheel to match or does the SEM fan wheel fit the Bosch.

Anything else I might need? Any help I can get will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Back