SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought one of those and you could make your own if your coil is good. Underneath the shrink wrap is a $13.00 Nova2 ignition module and a two wire crimper. See my previous posts for instructions.

I need to make a correction to the post about moving the magnets on a SEM GE flywheel. You can only reposition the south magnet 180 degrees, if you move the north magnet the timing will be 180 degrees off

Just completed the pc rewire. Saw works again! Still need to find time the carb a bit with the hotter spark it was idling faster. I bought the german replacement but didn't work to to see if could be made to work. The replacement of the pulse cap seemed easier than retiming or moving magnets on the flywheel. Made a flywheel puller in the process that worked great. Thanks for the fix.20200115_161835.jpg 20200115_161842.jpg

I have some great news about the SEM GE flywheel when converting over to the Saegenspezi ignition-- you can still use the GE flywheel and fan by moving two of the four magnets that are inside the SEM flywheel. I found out by using a magnet polarity tester that the north/south magnets sit together and the ones on the opposite side are non-magnetic and only used for balance.

The magnets are held on by glue and screws, and can be removed by a propane torch. You may have to drill the brass screws out. Then it's just a matter of moving the north or south magnet so they sit 180 degrees apart and either keep using 4 magnets or 2 magnets. Timing to 26 degrees BTDC is a matter of testing using a timing light and 12v battery.

just joined this site as a search for a fix for my Stihl 041 AVE ignition failure when hot brings up threads here with people are having the same issue . after reading many post and looking at pictures I appear to have a SEM GE style electronic ignition (just like pictured in post 751)which im finding out is the worst available on this saw yea (my coil is good but think the module is bad) . you seem to be narrowing down a solution that involves the nova2 module and moving the magnets on the SEM FW(which is the south magnet?) .in your opinion is the best route at this point to replace this system using the existing flywheel and nova2 module? I found a points style plate with coil but no flywheel on ebay , then convert by using the points coil and install the Nova2 module away from under FW or use the Saegenspezi unit. i just want to get this great saw back working as cheaply as possible
thanks in advance

Great! I'm the one (nolids) who gave the instructions to replace the SEM GE module using the inexpensive NOVA module. When I did mine, I spent an extra $40 getting a Bosch flywheel so I would have north and south magnets 180 degrees apart on a flywheel that would reuse the aluminum fan for the SEM GE pull start. Then I started to look at the original SEM GE flywheel, bought a magnet polarity tester and found out the four magnets were one north, one south, and the opposite side were dead and just there to balance the flywheel. So to save yourself $40 bucks, heat the south magnet with a propane torch and see if you can loosen the south magnet and remove the brass screw that holds it in place along with the glue. If you hold the SEM GE flywheel so you are looking at the back side, the north magnet will be on the left and the south magnet next to it on the right (clockwise). You want to remove the south magnet to retain timing and put it in place of the dummy magnet 180 degrees away. You can do it this way and put the dummy magnet where you took the south magnet off and you will retain balance with 4 magnets. Or remove both dummy magnets and run only a north and south magnet (2 magnets, 180 degrees apart). Use Seal-All and a screw to glue the magnets back on.

Great! I'm the one (nolids) who gave the instructions to replace the SEM GE module using the inexpensive NOVA module. When I did mine, I spent an extra $40 getting a Bosch flywheel so I would have north and south magnets 180 degrees apart on a flywheel that would reuse the aluminum fan for the SEM GE pull start. Then I started to look at the original SEM GE flywheel, bought a magnet polarity tester and found out the four magnets were one north, one south, and the opposite side were dead and just there to balance the flywheel. So to save yourself $40 bucks, heat the south magnet with a propane torch and see if you can loosen the south magnet and remove the brass screw that holds it in place along with the glue. If you hold the SEM GE flywheel so you are looking at the back side, the north magnet will be on the left and the south magnet next to it on the right (clockwise). You want to remove the south magnet to retain timing and put it in place of the dummy magnet 180 degrees away. You can do it this way and put the dummy magnet where you took the south magnet off and you will retain balance with 4 magnets. Or remove both dummy magnets and run only a north and south magnet (2 magnets, 180 degrees apart). Use Seal-All and a screw to glue the magnets back on.
perfect, thank you nolids, i noticed the two dummy magnets and wondered what was going on there . will this work with the coil off the points style plate as I cant use the SEM module plate obviously , I think I found a used 041 plate that will have the coil with wings on it ? (will the coil be in the right place?) are the instructions with the nova2 module easy to figure out or are there some tricks to wiring it up?
sure appreciate your help

perfect, thank you nolids, i noticed the two dummy magnets and wondered what was going on there . will this work with the coil off the points style plate as I cant use the SEM module plate obviously , I think I found a used 041 plate that will have the coil with wings on it ? (will the coil be in the right place?) are the instructions with the nova2 module easy to figure out or are there some tricks to wiring it up?
sure appreciate your help

If the 041 backing plate will fit with the coil at 3 o'clock and it's a good coil, you have it made. The NOVA instructions will walk you through the wiring and you should have a negative ground. Just don't mount the NOVA under the flywheel!

When everything is together, use a timing light and 12v battery to check timing. It should be 26 degrees BTDC, which is 13/16" before TDC using the top of the pull start cover to make the marks. If you need help on this let me know.

It's kinda late to move. but its good information if you are interested in repairing any and all SEM problem ignition modules using the NOVA module. I'm sure the SEM GE could be taken apart and have the "pulse cap" replaced and it would start working again, but the NOVA module seems easier to me, and the genius (I say this as positive) who started this thread is not willing to try the same trick on other SEM modules.

BTW, just where in this thread is the "pulse cap" repair shown in a picture as the subject of this thread discusses? The NOVA replacement can be done instead of the "pulse cap" and seems easier.

BTW, just where in this thread is the "pulse cap" repair shown in a picture as the subject of this thread discusses?

Page 3.

And the point is, this is a thread about discovering what the common failure point of certain Bosch ignitions is and how they can be cheaply and easily repaired..., specifically to bring 1115 series saws back to life.

There are tons of other threads detailing the woes and fixes for other types of ignitions on all types of other saws that are actually quite informative in their own right. Your input here would most likely be much more effective in any number of them.

Greetings guys I have an 056 AV Super electronic that I picked up several years ago on eBay as a parts saw, the saw is exceptionally clean in all aspects and has the full wrap handlebars. I had a guy here that likes to tinker with electronic things attempt to fix the ignition and spliced in a nova setup, it would start and idle but any throttle made it pop and die. I have found this fix and pulled the saw apart to attempt to wire in the capacitor but I see wires cut off at the filling in the center section and I’m not sure it’s saveable, I found a scrap 045 AV today that has the same 2 piece flywheel as mine I was going to tear apart to see if it had the ignition I need. What I’m wondering is there a simpler plug and play setup to fix this either from the TS350 SEM and flywheel which I see both together on eBay or the German sourced ignition that looks different and states to only change from points style to electronic

link: https://shop.saegenspezi.de/electro...er-ignition-fits-Stihl-045-056-AV-045AV-056AV

3FAFAF23-5F69-4FE9-9B0D-E3940C7B6649.jpegCEACA07B-B0D0-46A0-A558-1382C9EEB760.jpeg3FAFAF23-5F69-4FE9-9B0D-E3940C7B6649.jpegCEACA07B-B0D0-46A0-A558-1382C9EEB760.jpegED1C93F4-6507-48C9-A8E0-EA1F8A058AD6.jpeg930A0946-71BE-4DC7-939A-71E069BAD6C8.jpegBA7A0C5E-99C2-4745-A507-46F3F850DC84.jpegA40BEA0A-6205-48E3-BA0B-D53220785170.jpeg

Attachments

• 6C295AC9-7D6C-458C-ABBA-0DA2A999197B.jpeg
    6C295AC9-7D6C-458C-ABBA-0DA2A999197B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Go to the website you posted above, select the Stihl 045/056 parts, & then scroll down to the bottom & look for the replacement Bosch/Ducati ignition
  • Item no.: 13705AR1951
That one is supposed to work with your flywheel pictured in your post.

Go to the website you posted above, select the Stihl 045/056 parts, & then scroll down to the bottom & look for the replacement Bosch/Ducati ignition
  • Item no.: 13705AR1951
That one is supposed to work with your flywheel pictured in your post.
Thanks it won’t let me order one and says no shipping due to COVID-19 so I guess I’ll wait till this is over and hopefully can order one then

Hey guys
I did the fix as well, and i think I have the right capacitor.
But it workt for about 1,5 sec and then i stopt so I tried the other capacitor i have, also nothing!
Does somebody have a idee about this?
Thanks greetings Fabian

Attachments

• 0719041A-94C1-44A0-91A3-F2249538DC82.jpeg
    0719041A-94C1-44A0-91A3-F2249538DC82.jpeg
    910.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 63FA11D5-91DB-497B-BA5A-50CCA2DD421A.jpeg
    63FA11D5-91DB-497B-BA5A-50CCA2DD421A.jpeg
    892.7 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back