Suddenly Dead Crabapple- how to Dispose to not spread to Apple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reverence4wood

Reaction score
My mature crabapple tree looked great last year (lots of leaves, blossoms and fruit), then didn't leaf out this spring, except for one branch that the leaves have since died on. I uploaded pics to an album called: Suddenly Dead Crabapple- how to Dispose to not spread to Apple

At this point I assume the crabapple is dead.
I have an apple tree maybe 30 feet away and would like to dispose of the crabapple in a way that will prevent spreading whatever it has to the apple. A master gardener told me to burn the crabapple, but I have read that some fruit tree diseases can be spread by burning. It would be much easier and more affordable for me to burn the crabapple - and I'm not sure how else I could actually dispose of it - but I really want to save the apple.

Does anyone know what the disease in the pics is, and if it is safe to dispose of it by burning?

Thanks!
Beth

My mature crabapple tree looked great last year (lots of leaves, blossoms and fruit), then didn't leaf out this spring, except for one branch that the leaves have since died on. I uploaded pics to an album called: Suddenly Dead Crabapple- how to Dispose to not spread to Apple

At this point I assume the crabapple is dead.
I have an apple tree maybe 30 feet away and would like to dispose of the crabapple in a way that will prevent spreading whatever it has to the apple. A master gardener told me to burn the crabapple, but I have read that some fruit tree diseases can be spread by burning. It would be much easier and more affordable for me to burn the crabapple - and I'm not sure how else I could actually dispose of it - but I really want to save the apple.

Does anyone know what the disease in the pics is, and if it is safe to dispose of it by burning?

Thanks!
Beth
Burn it or remove and dump it.
Remember wet (green) wood doesn't burn well.
You'll need an already hot burning bonfire going to throw the pieces in to.

Back