Sugars and PHC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skeptical but..

I know that sugar added to soil will tie up available nitrogen. Leaves will absorb glucose and plants have the ability to convert it into fructose and are able to form a union between glucose and fructose forming sucrose. I don't think that a plant can absorb sucrose ; however if the sucrose was broken down by enzymes into the constituents, glucose and fructose, there may be some beneficial results. I certainly don't know but this is interesting stuff.

http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/arboriculture/studentresearch7.asp
http://www.myerscough.ac.uk/arboriculture/studentresearch5.asp

I've used superthrive for several years and it works great for planting, stressed trees etc. its just sugar, root hormones and some B vitamins. Kind of crazy writing on the label sort of like Dr. Bronners soap.

Yeah, the superthrive is labeled like snake oil, and makes so many claims, that I hear that old adage "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

Look at the ingredients, its the basics needed to help with transplant shock. I've used it for a long time now, on a lot of planting jobs and I know it helps the transition period. Bottle is crazy, one just has to read evereything.

I refuse to buy anything labeled like that or anything that advertises so distastefully in our trade magazines!

That's the truth. It's labeling and advertising style drive away more customers than they bring in. Even if it's the greatest stuff in the world.

I've never been taken by the crap thats called advertising, if a product meets my needs then I use it. Come on guys lower your noses and use your brains.

There's plenty of other comperable products with coherent documentation. Never mind all the good stuff you can make on your own. If it was the only product out there that did the job to level I need I'd use it.

That was all I was saying, A smart guy can mix the same concoction. Not using the product because of strange labels is foolish. And the lableing is wacky but the simple mix of rooting hormone and sugars works very well, and its something that a lot of arborists are ignorant of. Not to mention its easy to find, at any nursery. :blob2:

I was at a ISA seminar recently and they discussed this topic. The speaker stated there were benefits at very low doses, however stated that more damage may be done at higher dosage much like that of NPK in high amounts. Basically he stated that there is still ongoing studies that need to be completed before he would consider trying on clients. However wouldn't you know one of my competitors actually started selling it and I know this because I lost a fert job too him. Haven't seen results on the property that would make me say wow.

I think that the benifit of using sugar is to feed the benificial bacteria that is in the soil. It doesn't benifit the tree directly, it benefits the soil. By improving the condition of the soil, the tree will follow suit. I do agree that too much sugar would be detrimental, as osmosis could be affected. 5 lbs. per 1000sq.' is the rule of thumb. Last Friday, I worked on my first sick tree treatment (see post under compost tea), and applied sugar as well as cornmeal. Of course I can't wait to see the results.

Latest posts

Back