Suggestions for cooling big powerheads while cs milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csmillingnoob

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have not milled anything this Summer. Last Summer's experience was enough! I live in hot, humid South Georgia where every summer day is over 90 degrees and most over 95.

First, I have reached an age where the heat affects me much more than in the past. The surrounding heat in the air added to the heat coming off the powerhead makes me useless after milling one 8ft slab when it's hot. 80s are doable. 90s is too much for me.

Second, the heat causes issues with the saw. I have been milling with a 390xp, but am moving up to a 3120xp shortly. I have had issues with my saw's restart and other issues in over 90 degree days.

So what are the best ways to keep a big (390xp, ms660, 395xp, ms880, 3120xp) powerhead as cool as possible AND reduce heat blowback in the operator's face? Stihl folks please join in.

Well if money spent is no object a Ice cooled suit for the body and a water spray mist cooling for the saw head. I started a topic post about water spray mist cooling for the saw cylinder. Most people of course do not want to set a system up like this because of cost and effort spent for a custom build.

I'm thinking every one can use a cloth that is wet with cold water around the head and neck areas to help cool the body temperatures as well as a fan on a stand near by.

South Georgia? Ingles food market near by? They sell dry ice ,make a utility wire basket and put it on the starter housing saw draws air in there to cool the motor that should drop the saw temperature with out soaking it.
As far as personal cooling " only mad dogs and English men go out in the noon day sun." Rudyard Kipling.

There may not be much difference in the exhaust temperatures of the 32:1 or the 50:1 mix. However where there can be a difference is at the hot spot points inside such as the edges of the rings and piston for example. The problem is that most 2-cycle saws where not built with enough cooling of the cylinder area. Thus the saw can not dissipate the heat away fast enough away from the rings and piston edges under longer work loads such as during milling compared to bucking logs etc.

Any un-burnt oil around the rings can reduce the surface temperatures thus adding extra cooling at that spot. The down side is there will be some more smoke that should be moved away from the operator.

You are correct that the 32:1 oil to gas mix will cause one to go through more spark plugs and more often cleaning of un-burnt oil / carbon at the exhaust port area. This is part of the cost and time of running this oil mix. Some people will remove the spark plug after so many hours and heat them with a propane or other torch just to burn off the extra carbon. The same is also true of the exhaust port area as far as cleaning goes. Getting a chainsaw very hot within a few minutes after starting and running hot will also help with carbon issues.

I have seen some hardcore 2-cycle people preheat the engine parts or the air intake of the engine just to help out with carbon issues as far as warm up goes. The point here is to reduce the carbon build up when warming up the engine.

I thrash the pants off my 090 in hot weather, full bar slabbing mainly macrocarpa.
Never had heat issues, dont let it idle after ending the cut just switch it off always starts easy.
Been using castrol garden2T my whole milling life no issues but i dump a litre of oil in a 20 litre container.
Spark plugs are cheap.

I thrash the pants off my 090 in hot weather, full bar slabbing mainly macrocarpa.
Never had heat issues, dont let it idle after ending the cut just switch it off always starts easy.
Been using castrol garden2T my whole milling life no issues but i dump a litre of oil in a 20 litre container.
Spark plugs are cheap.
Have you reached your sixties yet? Effects of heat change are different after you first prostate exam

Have you reached your sixties yet? Effects of heat change are different after you first prostate exam
Maybe sawing just after 6:00 A.M. if you can with out upsetting people near by could help with the over all heat. Do not saw very long as well can help your body. Be sure to drink a lot of water before and after.

Latest posts

Back