Suggestions on saw for bigger logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChicagoPete

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
BvtYPeEBc_v

I had 13 trees older taken down professionally but I kept the logs for firewood. I bought a bad ass 44 ton log splitter with a hook/wench with a 435 Husqvarna that I like a lot and it's all I will need as a homeowner after this job is done. But I still have a dozen (to me) huge logs that are around 30 inches across the tops of the cut sides. I'm wondering if I can cut out the middle area with my 435 to make the Roman candle type of logs for my fire pit which would make them lighter and manageable plus those make the coolest fires. They're too big now to handle and they're on a hill. Or should I stop dreaming on the Roman Candle type logs and be asking should I just cut them in half and will the 435 handle it? One of neighbor has a Stihl 026 online that they're selling for $200. Was thinking be cool to try that out but still around the same size saw but stronger. I know very little about saws and $200 is about all I have left in the budget after a new engine, a log splitter, 435 saw, atv, and yard trailer. Sorry for the long post, any decent advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_050925_646.jpg
    IMG_20190401_050925_646.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Either saw will noodle those into manageable pieces, but neither one is the right tool for it. If a dozen is all you have to do, I'd learn how to keep chains sharp and go to it with the Husky. As an alternative, you could find someone to give you $100 for the 435, and go find a 60cc saw to make quick work of those rounds. I've had a couple 036s that were dandy noodlers.

FEEE2B71-4852-475B-B642-5EFD87B192E6.jpeg These were dropped off at my place by a tree service, the smaller of them is 43 inches across. Between a 45/50cc saw, 20in bar, a couple wedges, and a sledge. I have managed to break them down into pieces that I am more than capable of maneuvering onto my 22 ton log splitter.

Nice, did you have to pay the tree service for those logs or did they give them to you? Thinking I might try that in the future pnce I burn all this wood.

Im almost done, heres what Ive been working on. I expect to have 3 piles like the second pic when Im done. Its my first go with splitting wood, bought this 44 ton handmade splitter last week, shes a beast and was in need of work. I replaced the motor, and the coupling, along with the 2500lb wench. Yesterday the teeth on the coupling to the pump sheared off, it was the last thing I planned to replace besides the hydraulic seals which I planned to do after this job was done. Unfortunately I only got halfway done. So Im thinking now to just cut down the logs to a manageable size. I want to use some of the larger logs behind this pile of split wood in my firepit and Im wonder the easiest way to make some Swedish logs? Thank for the posts. This is a great site. I knew jack about taking down trees and splitting wood before coming on here last year. Last third .jpg 1st pile .jpg 1st pile .jpg

Maybe its not a Swedish Log. My Dads neighbor had a huge log about 3 to 4 foot tall 30 inches wide with the middle carved out that make a fire that looked like the flame coming out to the back of a jet engine. It was years ago but it was really cool.

If I was low on cash and had to break real big rounds...like I did as a kid...we'd get out the 'wedges and sledges'.

We used to break up silver maple rounds that were wider than I was tall at that time, probably 5 foot across with wedges.

It's definitely more fun noodling big rounds...but if I had to choose between buying a saw and buying a few wedges, I would get the wedges. Better work out anyway.

Nice, did you have to pay the tree service for those logs or did they give them to you?

Every piece of wood that I’ve burned in the last 3 years was dropped off by different tree services at no charge.

Honestly it’s a win/win for both parties IMO. They don’t have to pay the dump to get rid of it and I don’t have to spend the time/money to go cut down, buck, and haul home any rounds :)

Back