summer is coming...warm weather pants.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dichrixon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Warm weather is coming.

I wear a dickies or carhart work pant, the twill painter/ carpenter pant primarily. Mainly due to its toughness.

The main drawbacks are the weight and the breathability.

I am looking at finding something better equipped for summer weather. The things I am looking for are toughness, quick drying ability and lighter weight.

My interest has been in tactical pants worn by soldiers and or law enforcement. With the ripstop technology, pockets, lightweight, and maneuverability I would think they may be an ideal tree pant.

Does anyone have experience with this style of pant?

What do you use?

I love arborwear but the stuff is pricey. Arborwear is sort of a last resort but I welcome any feed back on them.

Thanks!

Go to the army surplus and get some BDU or ABU pants, but there's nothing really special about them. They are about $25 a pair at clothing sales on base.

Or they have the black version you can get that some police or swat uses. They seem to cost more though, I guess cause they are tacticool.

Neither are great at protecting the legs against much. Bark, wild roses (lot of them around here), sticks, etc poke pretty well vs jeans.

Myself I just buy jeans at Walmart for $9 a pair and they normally last a year or two. When they wear out I don't have to cry about it.

I know you just said Arborwear is too spendy (and I agree they are...) but I really like the canopy pants. I am pretty cheap but even broke down and bought a second pair. Very light weight, comfortable, and they hold up well.

Carhartt has introduced a new line of ripstop. I have not seen any but I have been wearing Carhartt since early 70 something. I gotta think it's good stuff.

I'm a big carhartt fan. I bought 4 pairs of the light weight canvas ripstop pants today. 35 bucks a pair not too shabby. I went to cabellas and the kittery trading post. I tried on close to 10 different pairs of pants and decided on the carhartts.

For someone who hates shopping for anything but tools and or toys it was quite a feat.

Fyi I tried on some tactical pants and I must say they felt particularly comfortable and the mobility was great. I just couldn't pull the trigger on them. They are a little spendy but the main problem was I could not get passed the excessive amount of pockets. I felt like some wannabe military guy. I haven't closed the door on them yet though. I may buy one pair and try them out.

Thanks for input guys!

Stretch canvass, double knees, complete freedom of movement u don't even know they are on and a good fit. They are light weight but holding up better so far vs my regular canvass pants. U can find them on Amazon for about $45 too

Hey guys.

Warm weather is coming.

I wear a dickies or carhart work pant, the twill painter/ carpenter pant primarily. Mainly due to its toughness.

The main drawbacks are the weight and the breathability.

I am looking at finding something better equipped for summer weather. The things I am looking for are toughness, quick drying ability and lighter weight.

My interest has been in tactical pants worn by soldiers and or law enforcement. With the ripstop technology, pockets, lightweight, and maneuverability I would think they may be an ideal tree pant.

Does anyone have experience with this style of pant?

What do you use?

I love arborwear but the stuff is pricey. Arborwear is sort of a last resort but I welcome any feed back on them.

Thanks!

Go to the army surplus and get some BDU or ABU pants, but there's nothing really special about them. They are about $25 a pair at clothing sales on base.

Or they have the black version you can get that some police or swat uses. They seem to cost more though, I guess cause they are tacticool.

Neither are great at protecting the legs against much. Bark, wild roses (lot of them around here), sticks, etc poke pretty well vs jeans.

Myself I just buy jeans at Walmart for $9 a pair and they normally last a year or two. When they wear out I don't have to cry about it.

It gets a special kind of hot here, like in the middle of the summer is too hot to safely climb. Or breath outside.

I've got a few pairs of Dickie's khakis, that have plastic tarp grommet snapped in by the inner and outer seams every few inches. If you get the "baggy fit" there will be enough material to flap around and cause more air circulation. Use a fabric glue around the hole before snapping the grommet in if you want them to last more than a wash or two.

Back