Sunday milling time

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brent Nowell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
AD9E0082-B9ED-49A6-92CF-5D25DB972483.jpeg 89904DE2-6FE8-459A-830E-E28A2A8EA395.jpeg A82AD85E-56CF-4BF2-8B38-6937CFF7C988.jpeg 3F9E6994-D086-400B-B044-EA2068F53E24.jpeg what a great day, found an awesome spot for some great wood. Had a perfectly felled tree and the weather was great and no rush to get home. Great work out as well, just had a blast today!!!

Alaskan beak cutter jig I made worked perfectly, the edge on the wood was perfectly flat. If I was making just beams I could have had a pretty near perfectly square product, but I wanted slabs.

The 36” Alaskan mill worked great, however my initial cut was no good and throughout the cut I had noticed some of the bar not touching the wood.. oh well pretty close , just more work planing...
Gonna see if I can make a couple of bars or something as a guide for the large mill to avoid this. I don’t want to bring an extension ladder but if I can’t find a better way I’ll have to .

2 1/4” thick, let em dry out this summer. There’s still more left, will grab it all eventually

I used to use a ladder on every cut, until the county snow plow thought it was funny to plow our court after all the neighbors had already cleared it, and pushed my ladder ten feet up in the yard and around a tree. Now I just get a straight framing 2X* or 2X10. I think the one in the pic might be a 2X6. Wheeping Cherry. you can see the graft marks at the top, makes it look like a crown on top.
ijaJDA0.jpg

wgbYZJK.jpg

Rare fish, that sounds like a good idea, I have a thickness planer so I can get it quite flat for a good reference point.

BobL
GOOD EYE! Look at you haha, we’ll truth be told I was already done milling and pulled the saw partially out but then put it back in remembering I wanted a photo. Guess it did not set on the rail right due to the sawdust.

I assure you the jig worked well, and that is a small piece of trim attached to make sure it does not come off the rail as easy. This happened last time when I was pushing, must have tweaked it cause when I looked it was off the rail at the time. So I figured I would try this new jig and it was indeed a solution with the piece of trim.

Thanks guys for the advice and interest!

Rare fish, that sounds like a good idea, I have a thickness planer so I can get it quite flat for a good reference point.

BobL
GOOD EYE! Look at you haha, we’ll truth be told I was already done milling and pulled the saw partially out but then put it back in remembering I wanted a photo. Guess it did not set on the rail right due to the sawdust.

Been there and done worse. About 10 years ago I was given a seized 660 with a couple of well worn bars. The saw had no dogs so I made some and painted them and a bar black cobbled them altogether onto the saw and showed a photo of my acquisition on the CS forum. The thing I did not spot was I had put the chain on backwards and got some interesting red face comments about this.

Back