Super sharpening???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cedar rat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Years ago, a saw shop owner I knew used to race husky's against the stihl saws. He knew the 090's had more power than the 2100, so he took sharpening very seriously. He would finish his chains with a ceramic rod to get the chain edge razor sharp.

Does anyone here know anything about using a ceramic rod or stone to put a fine hone on their chain, if so do you know where to get them?

Years ago, a saw shop owner I knew used to race husky's against the stihl saws. He knew the 090's had more power than the 2100, so he took sharpening very seriously. He would finish his chains with a ceramic rod to get the chain edge razor sharp.

Does anyone here know anything about using a ceramic rod or stone to put a fine hone on their chain, if so do you know where to get them?
I recall the (EZ lap ) sharpeners were a series if various diamond
impregnated bits and also 2 ceramic rods at 30degree angles
couldyou draw these through the chains like files ?

Yep, a ceramic rod that is drawn through like a file, but rotated down to deburr and smooth the cutting edge.

I have also seen the cutting edge dressed down with a flat file, one of the chainsaw carvers (Caroll) used to sale a video & file that was on super sharpening carving chain. I have used this method and it does make a difference.

One thing he (Caroll) stressed was, a super sharp chain can cut through protective chaffs!

One of our guys used to do a bit of competition sawing he used to finish his cutters with various grade diamond circular /flat files

One of our guys used to do a bit of competition sawing he used to finish his cutters with various grade diamond circular /flat files

Hopefully someone will show up that has done some super sharpening and knows where to get the ceramic rods, though I imagine a fine diamond round file might work too.

I wish that old guy was still around that used the ceramic to sharpen his race saws. Neat old guy, he really helped me a lot on learning to wrench on my 2100's.

Sharpening is an art. I have and still do sharpened knives to a mirror finish. Yet with a magnifying glass the surface scratches show. The solution is to use a finer stone, but more magnification shows the scratches yet again. And so and so on....

I'm now at what gets the job done. For skinning a deer hide, I have my ultra sharp knives. For opening a UPS box, I keep a moderately sharp knife in my pocket.

A ceramic round file sounds cool on a chain, but the edge will burn out quickly. Personally, give me the ceramic. I'd love to see what an ultra sharp chain can do. I did my Fiskars Axe once, very cool, but very short lived. Not doing it again, at least on the Axe.

Hopefully someone will show up that has done some super sharpening and knows where to get the ceramic rods, though I imagine a fine diamond round file might work too.

I wish that old guy was still around that used the ceramic to sharpen his race saws. Neat old guy, he really helped me a lot on learning to wrench on my 2100's.

I raced the local fairs with my stock husky 2100 except for the plugged govenor in the carb, 8 tooth rim, 404” 16” bar and chain. The gullet is very important for exiting chip clearance. Hog the gullet out as far as it will go. Try the 7/32” file first then the 1/4” round file in the gullet if it fits. Then I use the file n guide with a 7/32” or 1/4” file on the very top edge of the tooth. File size depends on how much of the tooth is left.

I did eight cuts in a 9” x 9” timber in 17.5 seconds. That’s two cuts down, two cuts up, bore two holes without breaking out, one cut down, one cut up. No other big saw came close.

Back