Super Split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One down fall is it did not come with a towing tongue on it for towing

I think they come in one of two setups.

One is a balloon tire version that is at a nice height to stand at while splitting. Those tires aren't road rated so there's no hitch (although I'd think that would be handy around the yard).

The other is a high-speed tire version that sits low to the ground, but can be towed and includes the hitch.

I think they come in one of two setups.

One is a balloon tire version that is at a nice height to stand at while splitting. Those tires aren't road rated so there's no hitch (although I'd think that would be handy around the yard).

The other is a high-speed tire version that sits low to the ground, but can be towed and includes the hitch.

Hi again, When I ordered my SS, the owner stated he only uses one tire now because nobody was buying the other, now maybe on the 2 other models are different, but with the J model, you only get one choice of tire....he really needs to change his website. But he also told me there wasn't much difference between the models that would warrant buying one from the other....just engine size.....and from what I know now....I would not pay more for a bigger motor as mine does just fine with the Subaru robin 4 .5 horse motor.

Called factory was told to back off two turns on the nut on the lever. It now works great. Love this splitter.

I had the same problem with mine also...called the company and the owner told me the same thing....He also stated that if loosening the nuts did not work, it was probably a malfunction in the cam lock and he would of sent me a new one. But after backing off the nut on top it worked awsome. I guess there is always a little tweaking when someone like us puts something together.

Just to add my two cents...

I was looking for a splitter in the summer, learned of the Super Split & ended up going where they're built. The guy (can't remember his name) is a straight talker. He walked me through the machine & even fired one up & split some elm I brought. I found an old one soon after & bought it. It was so ugly I almost walked away. But I knew what to look for & knew that as the design is so simple (no valves, pumps,...) I could give it what it needed. I gave it some TLC & replaced the 4 bearings on the rack.

It's ugly but it's still fast. I know that if/when I get motivated, I could spruce it up & sell it in a hearbeat--or--just keep on splitting with it myself.

Just to add my two cents...

I was looking for a splitter in the summer, learned of the Super Split & ended up going where they're built. The guy (can't remember his name) is a straight talker. He walked me through the machine & even fired one up & split some elm I brought. I found an old one soon after & bought it. It was so ugly I almost walked away. But I knew what to look for & knew that as the design is so simple (no valves, pumps,...) I could give it what it needed. I gave it some TLC & replaced the 4 bearings on the rack.

It's ugly but it's still fast. I know that if/when I get motivated, I could spruce it up & sell it in a hearbeat--or--just keep on splitting with it myself.

I would keep it if I were you. But I know if I had to ever sell mine I would get close to what I paid for it! People wanting to see it in action really don't need to, you never see any negative things said about the unit. I really like mine......Like I said I wish it was a tad cheaper though......Like $2000. I have alot guys around my area that heard I have one and want come out to see it work! One of these days I will put a video on you tube.

Love my Super-Split

I've had mine about a year and absolutely love it. For the Tan-oak, Madrone and Fir we've got around here it's super. Last year I did about 30 cords and this I'm doing about 10.

It is not ideal for gnarly stuff as I have to bang it several times, so I have a hydraulic for pre-splitting those. But most Tan-oak is not gnarly and I can just crank on it... a cord an hour is not unreasonable.

I have the balloon tired one with the high work table. I have a bucking table that I load with logs with my CAT 950 wheel loader. Then I buck on the table and then roll the bucks down a broad chute to the splitter. That way I'm never lifting a piece of wood. I just reach across and pull bucks onto the splitter table.

I used to get various small injuries on the hands and arms from doing the slow hydraulic splitter. Something about the relative slowness of it mesmerizes me, and I have to be close in to make the splitter piston go forward, then back. Not so with the SS. You roll the log in, pull the handle and it's done. The wood moves down the splitter table away from me. So I both feel safer and far more alert, but after 40 cords I am actually safer. No injuries at all. I can work hard and not feel worn out.

Philobite; I have a bucking table that I load with logs with my CAT 950 wheel loader. Then I buck on the table and then roll the bucks down a broad chute to the splitter. That way I'm never lifting a piece of wood. I just reach across and pull bucks onto the splitter table. QUOTE said:
Could we see some pics of the table? I'm getting sick of working at my feet.

Ken

Pics of the SS bucking table/chute

Here ya go.
splitter_1.jpg

splitter_2.jpg

splitter_3.jpg

splitter_4.jpg

I get up on the table, mark the logs and buck them in place, then roll them down the chute. It helps too that I've placed the table uphill from the chute. Oh, the chute bottom is notched/shaped in such a way that it interfaces with the SS table without a gap for the bucks to fall through.

Last edited:
Here ya go.
splitter_1.jpg

splitter_2.jpg

splitter_3.jpg

splitter_4.jpg

I get up on the table, mark the logs and buck them in place, then roll them down the chute. It helps too that I've placed the table uphill from the chute. Oh, the chute bottom is notched/shaped in such a way that it interfaces with the SS table without a gap for the bucks to fall through.
is this a 2 man operation? never seen a bucking table...is this your own invention? whats that other thing backed up to it? another splitter? why does the table seem to have a smaller extension on it? was it too short? whats up with the suzuki things?
sorry for all the questions,but the pictures really got me fired up!

is this a 2 man operation? never seen a bucking table...is this your own invention? whats that other thing backed up to it? another splitter? why does the table seem to have a smaller extension on it? was it too short? whats up with the suzuki things?
sorry for all the questions,but the pictures really got me fired up!

Harry, it's a 1,2 or 3 man. Mostly I do it alone, but sometimes my little girls roll the bucks down for me. Sometimes my wife splits while I move stuff down the chute and cart off the splits (good stress relief for her), and sometimes I get family or friends and then we really zip. If I can load and buck while others are splitting we can do couple or three cords an hour.

My father and I invented this. The frame is entirely of redwood milled on our place. The table tops are plywood, treated. On the right side we built an older hydraulic splitter right into the table. That's the engine and pump you see on the ground. That allows us to roll gnarly huge bucks over on the table and halve or quarter them before we roll them down the chute. I only use it on stuff over 2' across usually, or really nasty crotches.

That is indeed a smaller table we built. We did it separately just to make it easier to move around with the loader if we need to. One large table is really cumbersome.

The white Suzuki is my all-purpose "Jeep" around the place. I haul my saws and other equipment all over the forest with it. The other Suzuki is my parts car for the white one.

Last edited:
Loader tires

Funny, but after 5 years of zero problems and loading hundreds of logging trucks with redwood, I got 2 flats on 2 separate tires on the loader in 2 days, just running around grabbing Tan-Oak! One of them happened down in the forest! Fixing a flat on those buggers is a downright scary proposition.

The first one was from a couple little pin-holes that slowly leaked and finally the seal failed and it lost all pressure. We had to put a chain around the tire and a come-along. Then get the D7 blade under the back of the loader and liiiiiifffffft. Then cinch down with the come-along as tight as we could to press the tire sides back out against the rim/seals, then add lots of soap to get it to seal. I'll have to pull the valve and dump in some slime to plug those little holes.

The second one, down in the forest, was because a valve stem was out too far and when my father screwed down the valve stem cap, it pushed a bit on the valve pin and very slowly let the air out overnight... parked deep in the forest. I came out today and yikes! We had to fill an air compressor at the house, drive it down in the Samurai, put the air in the tire, and repeat that several times. Luckily that one had not broken the seals so we didn't have to cinch it.

Any report on these?

It seems that it has a taller splitting wedge, than the Super split.
And maybe a bit more power. It sure does not seem to have 28 yrs track record.
Any idea on "their story"?
N

Don't know if they are in business any more. I researched before I bought my SS but decided to go with SS instead because if I din't like it I could sell it with ease.

Even though this is an old thread, I cant help myself. I have to chime in.

Why on earth would anyone spend $2,600 on an unknown Chinese knockoff, when a real USA made Supersplit is the same price? All I can see are all those people who bought the Speeco and the DR and had issue after issue.

Is the one I posted above Chinese?
I have enough experience not to buy anything Chinese, except sledge hammers... (No moving parts!) Kinda like the rule: never loan anything with an engine, or moving parts.

Even though this is an old thread, I cant help myself. I have to chime in.

Why on earth would anyone spend $2,600 on an unknown Chinese knockoff, when a real USA made Supersplit is the same price? All I can see are all those people who bought the Speeco and the DR and had issue after issue.
∆∆∆ This!∆∆∆ So true! There have been so many threads about the problems with All the copy cats! & so many threads about how damn good the Super Split is.

I also love how all the copycat kinetics try to claim things like "revolutionary", or "patent pending", or some other ******** lines like they thought up the kinetic concept. When in reality, Super split has been around for multiple decades.

Back