SuperSplit: Need help with idea.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to modify the SuperSplit to be self propelled.
I have been thinking of this for a week or so.
How do I do that?
Something simple, similar to the PowerSplit idea (never seen one so I'm not sure what that is), with walk behind controls for speed and steering.
I work both sides of the splitter, as shown in the photo, so I do not want to add much length if possible.
It needs forward and reverse, steering, parking brake, and two wheel drive is sufficient for wood lot use.
I have recently replaced the Subaru with a Honda, and I could use the Subaru for a power option.
I also do not want to go wider, keeping the foot print pretty much what it is.
What is your thoughts/ideas to make that work?
Photos: Today while working.
IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0246.jpgIMG_0243.jpg

Find an old hydro walk behind and re-purpose the drive system. Problem is the real estate its going to take up.

What about mounting it to the kory wagon since you pull that around anyway? I imagine the wagon is going to be too wide for comfort based on your configuration... Thats what I was toying with as an idea.

Or.... Going back to the walk behind... Keep the drive system intact but remove the deck and get to marrying the SS to the rear of the walk behind. MOST of them can be split. You could likely reduce the engine size since it wouldn't be driving the blades anymore.

See if you can find an old snowblower that has tracks and see if you can repurpose that onto your splitter it’s narrow. I have a Honda track snow blower it’s more reliable and rugged also the track hook up really well. Although reverse runs ridiculously slow

Just a thought, but maybe an old Troybilt tiller without the tines. You could mount a ball on the front and drive it wherever you wanted, albeit not very fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I would look into electric drive. The powersplits have hydraulic motors to drive the wheels, which makes sense on a hydraulic machine. With your supersplit you are talking about adding a pump and motors and controls with plumbing. I’m thinking maybe a “jazzy” mobility scooter as a base for electric drive. With a large battery you could probably use the honda’s charging system or add a charging system to keep the battery up.

The other thought I have is a snowblower drive system. I saw it mentioned earlier. You could probably use the existing engine to drive the platter but that wouldn’t give you any steering. I don’t see why you couldn’t just steer with the tongue.

Or mount it to a skid and use the forklift?
IMG_3719.jpg
Forklift tubes were my first mod. I have left them on, so that is still an option, but I would have to still push it up the ramp, and lip, to get into container at the end of the day (or still hook it to the quad)
Maybe it sounds like nit picking, but when processing wood there is set up time, then processing which is on/off the forklift many/many times per pallet, and then pickup/clean up/lock up time. All very repetitive.
Just trying to simplify another step where I am presently straining my back.
Straining my back being the key factor/motivator.
I'm tall and light built, long lean back, and 65.
I enjoy doing firewood so I'd like to do it a number of more years.
I enjoy the physical exercise, and want to limit the possible injuries.IMG_9985.jpg

Yep mine has the rear drive wheels and front castors, 18hp (Briggs??) it's an old Toro. Motor and trans works, has a bad spindle. I'll try and get a picture for you tonight.

Years ago I made a trailer mover out of a old concrete buggy that the bed was bad on for a friend of mine. You could mount a SS splitter on one of them. This one was hydro drive worked great.

what I am seeing is the issue is getting the Super split in and out of the shipping container and then backed into position at the elevator between your splitting tables.

how about a winch and battery on the SS then some and a point to pull from under the elevator and possibly in the floor of the container.

as I understand it the issue is you wrench your back trying to push this equipment into place where you like it to be to make your days work most efficient but need to lock things up at night because of the current state of crime.

you could give this idea a try on the cheap with a few snatch blocks and the winch on your ATV if it seems like it will work then mount a small winch to the SS

another place you probably struggle is those fine adjustments to get trailer to atv and SS to trailer a hand held portable winch might be just the thing just have grab hooks well placed and use something like this it could be alot more usefull than a inch mounted in one place , it might not be as fast but looks like it could be very convenient

Latest posts

Back