Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guessers are saying 2-4" of the white stuff ovahnight and a little more tomorrow. Thursday flushed the Seaway and ran it up to temp....changed the oil and filter....ran her a bit more to get fresh oil everywhere. Will change the drive lube in the spring when it's a bit warmer or the boat is over at the shop....lube only has 38 hrs on it so not an issue. I really like the fresh water cooling system on this engine. A total breeze to drain the cooling water from the engine. The is a little slide type air pump mounted on the top of the heat exchanger....like a small bicycle pump....remove that and there is a Schrader valve on this brass valve right on top of the exchanger....attach the pump give it like 5-6 strokes and two green plastic buttons pop up....then you hear water running, reach over and open the tank vent on the exchanger and all the water drains from the raw water pump, heat exchanger and manifolds......all done.....as my EX sawmill partner was fond of saying "Slicker than snot on a door knob"...he had a bunch of similar sayings.....

Guessers are saying 2-4" of the white stuff ovahnight and a little more tomorrow. Thursday flushed the Seaway and ran it up to temp....changed the oil and filter....ran her a bit more to get fresh oil everywhere. Will change the drive lube in the spring when it's a bit warmer or the boat is over at the shop....lube only has 38 hrs on it so not an issue. I really like the fresh water cooling system on this engine. A total breeze to drain the cooling water from the engine. The is a little slide type air pump mounted on the top of the heat exchanger....like a small bicycle pump....remove that and there is a Schrader valve on this brass valve right on top of the exchanger....attach the pump give it like 5-6 strokes and two green plastic buttons pop up....then you hear water running, reach over and open the tank vent on the exchanger and all the water drains from the raw water pump, heat exchanger and manifolds......all done.....as my EX sawmill partner was fond of saying "Slicker than snot on a door knob"...he had a bunch of similar sayings.....

Snow is coming this way, likely see it tomorrow. The Bayliner engine has two radiator type drain plugs, one in the block other in the exhaust manifold, makes it easy to drain it down. I fill it back up with antifreeze to cut down on internal rust over the winter, drain and catch it again in the spring. I would prefer the closed cooling system with heat exchanger but since it only gets used in fresh water it may last a few more years.
Was your sawmilling friend a Canadian? That is a real old saying up this way.

Snow is coming this way, likely see it tomorrow. The Bayliner engine has two radiator type drain plugs, one in the block other in the exhaust manifold, makes it easy to drain it down. I fill it back up with antifreeze to cut down on internal rust over the winter, drain and catch it again in the spring. I would prefer the closed cooling system with heat exchanger but since it only gets used in fresh water it may last a few more years.
Was your sawmilling friend a Canadian? That is a real old saying up this way.

No he wasn't 'Nadian.....but he could play one on TV....one from way up somewhere...good guy but born about a hunnert an fitty years to late...was always sure he could "teach" mechanical things that didn't work as he thought they should...abuse, he was sure would "teach" things like tractors, saws, the mill itself...anything that actually wasn't alive.....he kept me and the tools busy!!!!!

No he wasn't 'Nadian.....but he could play one on TV....one from way up somewhere...good guy but born about a hunnert an fitty years to late...was always sure he could "teach" mechanical things that didn't work as he thought they should...abuse, he was sure would "teach" things like tractors, saws, the mill itself...anything that actually wasn't alive.....he kept me and the tools busy!!!!!

LOL, anvil breaker.

Woot !!!

hy2kd5z22bLnLx6uHx61Iwld9qKzqpDHwiZE1-IKv9zJawe1LqY6GuOvuktMd2MLCn7l0kHDdTvpv4QQl71CAIDN4W0834YM71jGo1bZbflAkQpqO_kH0NndrEzDjdKq4ooLd9bwfqSW8xXSV8CdJvMXIZxzBA4cdxlzQaU7-VnGPmDJ-8XDlxaMXHq-a_viMOcCo0wtKo0_ttyxDbjGo64X5XAT1qDnvjXPyGarWsLjuxvd5bfe0xsPH8dWp3MBilrPr6-naR4I7KrygrgwzMWWX5eND2Z1nWFpJ_Y65ok2MpgVBUhxRfAvwiHBEFtgGeATgCA_iX_Z6zxuD0e_vyFfOKYFdBIoKWMy3dmFJ5bRNiAaxMtUYOf_6P2bgiH1uVNa3cU1ofZet8LsbWyckLNFBNTr2YE8FemCjS0HUajgZBBO3X-MFzLbxipPz5H3OVP49IZ2OJKfu6DXs2yI-s6BNZ-kcr0clelCK8JExdAsDxpIGjUtHP7apfHxU4PARld6khZC5WxmSCKk6rDHlYErJcAe34D81yyNPBhGb7yPGIh9IakoJOessZHGEO73duyiFI59fryOVjTP6w2na7YCXT3G35PgHjdLrrfe_k86GyahyScsOEDhF5wW7R8-iZAxFjdBSuN7Jm-L3I2vphf4MtidjiEbsHnV=w718-h404-no

LOL, anvil breaker.

Yep......He was a hunter.....hunted everything...all the time....cook it on a stick.....scared to death of snakes.....one day I went down the yard to work on the planer engine....left him changing the bits on the main saw......was working away when I heard the blood curdling scream.....I ran up to the mill building fast as I could...first thing I see is the main saw with streams of red stuff drizzling off half the diameter.......then I see Foster standing on top of the log pile on the brow....he has all his arms and legs....the red stuff was bar oil we always lubed the gullets with when changing teeth.....and Foster had seen a green snake coiled up in the sun next to where he was sitting changing out the bits..........my fekkin' word.....I 'bout had a heart attack.....ovah a pocket snake......'bout 8" long......totally harmless.....he didn't teach the snake.....wouldn't go within 16 feet of it....

Yep......He was a hunter.....hunted everything...all the time....cook it on a stick.....scared to death of snakes.....one day I went down the yard to work on the planer engine....left him changing the bits on the main saw......was working away when I heard the blood curdling scream.....I ran up to the mill building fast as I could...first thing I see is the main saw with streams of red stuff drizzling off half the diameter.......then I see Foster standing on top of the log pile on the brow....he has all his arms and legs....the red stuff was bar oil we always lubed the gullets with when changing teeth.....and Foster had seen a green snake coiled up in the sun next to where he was sitting changing out the bits..........my fekkin' word.....I 'bout had a heart attack.....ovah a pocket snake......'bout 8" long......totally harmless.....he didn't teach the snake.....wouldn't go within 16 feet of it....

This guy is an exact double for my BIL almost to a T, beating on machines fixes em good don`t it type of guy. Once beat both front fenders clean off a Ford Falcon cause the exhaust system he just installed came apart at the cross over pipe, often beats broked machines like chainsaws with a sledge hammer. He is absolutely terrified of snakes but makes out to any one that will listen that he is a great white hunter, just has never bagged a deer on his own yet....LOL

My Dad was scared of snakes like that too. LOL His best friend was always catching snakes and giving them to me just for his fun . LOL Knew Dad would crap right down his leg when he seen one . LOL

Ours settled some today...going cold tonight then snow after daylight tomorrow. Cleaned up around the shop today....drove the beat down to the end of the woodlot to establish the start of my ice road for the winter.......may all rain away...or...not. Make another run tomorrow after the snow/rain/ice quits......keep it packed down then can use it all winter. Makes the forest floor much flatter and easier/faster to get in and out. I guess wintah is here finally.....

Ours settled some today...going cold tonight then snow after daylight tomorrow. Cleaned up around the shop today....drove the beat down to the end of the woodlot to establish the start of my ice road for the winter.......may all rain away...or...not. Make another run tomorrow after the snow/rain/ice quits......keep it packed down then can use it all winter. Makes the forest floor much flatter and easier/faster to get in and out. I guess wintah is here finally.....

Hence the term/name, ice road. With the terrain being so rough in this neck of the country many miles of ice road was the only way to get forest products out of the woods to roadside. Now the big porters can travel over all but the roughest parts of this province and the winter ice roads are no longer constructed.

Back