Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mosun it is then but colder temps.

Yep we going cold.....like 10 'Merican tonight with 25 mph NW wind.....put Hoss in for the night...'spose to stay this way for a week or two....mid 20's daytime high...guess it's that tyme of year....no surprise but just the same....not real necessary IMHO....

Can't you get in over the back road you brought the Case in on?? I mean until it snows heavy.....

Yes but its a very long and rough trip, around 3 hrs from home to there and the road is little more than a wagon path....LOL
I will run the lake until it freezes over, been up there previous years up until New Years, just depends when the ice covers the lake.

Yes but its a very long and rough trip, around 3 hrs from home to there and the road is little more than a wagon path....LOL
I will run the lake until it freezes over, been up there previous years up until New Years, just depends when the ice covers the lake.

Yep you never know when that will happen either. A number of years ago my ex sawmill partner and I were doing a addition onto an old hand made log cabin on Toddy Pond, a long, narrow series of ponds that are connected by short narrows. This cabin was on the last segment....no road to it so we were traveling by boat from a camp on that segment that did have access to a dirt road. It was about this tyme of year...one morning about 7:00 we were lugging out stuff down the dock...absolutely calm.....pond just like a mirror, about 10 degrees 'Merican. Our outboard boat was tied up to the float at the end of the permanent dock.....well.....when we stepped onto the float there was this very loud CRUUUUMP that seemed to come from all around us, not from any one direction.....WTF??.......then we noticed the entire pond was froze ovah.....about 1/8" thick...just like that. Seconds before I had been looking at the lake bottom while walking down the dock.....now you couldn't see bottom very well at all. Never seen that before nor since....I guess the surface of the pond was just slightly below freezing and just the giggle of the float when we stepped onto it tipped it over the edge and set off a chain reaction on the molecular level.....weirder than a tree full of owls!!! Broke sheet ice all the way to the cabin......

Yep you never know when that will happen either. A number of years ago my ex sawmill partner and I were doing a addition onto an old hand made log cabin on Toddy Pond, a long, narrow series of ponds that are connected by short narrows. This cabin was on the last segment....no road to it so we were traveling by boat from a camp on that segment that did have access to a dirt road. It was about this tyme of year...one morning about 7:00 we were lugging out stuff down the dock...absolutely calm.....pond just like a mirror, about 10 degrees 'Merican. Our outboard boat was tied up to the float at the end of the permanent dock.....well.....when we stepped onto the float there was this very loud CRUUUUMP that seemed to come from all around us, not from any one direction.....WTF??.......then we noticed the entire pond was froze ovah.....about 1/8" thick...just like that. Seconds before I had been looking at the lake bottom while walking down the dock.....now you couldn't see bottom very well at all. Never seen that before nor since....I guess the surface of the pond was just slightly below freezing and just the giggle of the float when we stepped onto it tipped it over the edge and set off a chain reaction on the molecular level.....weirder than a tree full of owls!!! Broke sheet ice all the way to the cabin......
Like that one!
Morning Gents! Light snow 21.....winds died down thankfully. Yesterday was rough outside up here on Watsons Hill! lol
Hangin' in there! How yah all doin'?
Stay warm!

Happened to a friend of mine. He has a place in Valhalla Provincial Park in BC.
Was rowing back to the west shore.....suddenly.....a weird sound and he was surrounded by ice.
Broke ice all the rest of the way back.
Physics.....

Have seen ice form just like that, also saw it thaw in a few mins, does strange things when the surface temp reaches that 32 F state. When younger I used to hunt geese on the salt water flats around here, have witnessed flowing water freeze solid enough in two hours to carry two men dragging a 400+ lb boat full of gear, shotgun shells had to be kept in the inside breast pockets so they would fire reliably. Thermometer was showing -22F all that day.

Here's another for the history books.....friend came into the shop this afternoon...know him since high school....say "You still Fek around with chainsaws?"....
I says "Yeah"......so he brings in a Hoosky 445....I frown....knowing 4XX Hooskies should be left alone. He says..."Won't start...not even pop" This fella's tight and I always like to take his monies....."I"ll take a look when I get a moment" I says.....he says "OK...guess I'll go to the Castle for supper" So the shop clears out and I'm left alone.....might as well get this ovah with, so I pop the top cover expecting a rotted fuel line....carb intake covered with a film of fuel....smelled funny......drained the fuel tank so I could pressure test the fuel line.....fuel looked funny.....smelled funnier stihl....guess Kyle thought he had a diesel chainsaw....I 'spect when I do get 'er going she gonna smoke some...for a bit.....

LOL, ...That not the first chainsaw I seen and heard of with diesel in it, also had one to fix once that was choked with bar oil. Guess the owner was either drunk or real forgetful, filled the fuel tank with bar oil, saw lit up but soon stalled with lots of smoke pouring out the muffler. Couldn`t get it to start again and just about wore out the recoil rope trying...:ices_rofl:

Here's another for the history books.....friend came into the shop this afternoon...know him since high school....say "You still Fek around with chainsaws?"....
I says "Yeah"......so he brings in a Hoosky 445....I frown....knowing 4XX Hooskies should be left alone. He says..."Won't start...not even pop" This fella's tight and I always like to take his monies....."I"ll take a look when I get a moment" I says.....he says "OK...guess I'll go to the Castle for supper" So the shop clears out and I'm left alone.....might as well get this ovah with, so I pop the top cover expecting a rotted fuel line....carb intake covered with a film of fuel....smelled funny......drained the fuel tank so I could pressure test the fuel line.....fuel looked funny.....smelled funnier stihl....guess Kyle thought he had a diesel chainsaw....I 'spect when I do get 'er going she gonna smoke some...for a bit.....
That is funny !! :laugh:

That is funny !! :laugh:

Yep.....I went right down to the Castle and made him buy me a pint before I told him of hiz error...LOL!!! If everything else checks out may try starting it on a prime a few times....rather not take carb off to clean it out.....those are worse than a Stihl to work on....hopefully I can get the diesel in the system diluted enough to get it running.....definite an out door start though...LOL!!!

Yep.....I went right down to the Castle and made him buy me a pint before I told him of hiz error...LOL!!! If everything else checks out may try starting it on a prime a few times....rather not take carb off to clean it out.....those are worse than a Stihl to work on....hopefully I can get the diesel in the system diluted enough to get it running.....definite an out door start though...LOL!!!

Shop would be very blue if it did start up in there, double that with the cussing...LOL

Latest posts

Back