Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Busy time of year since the daylight and days are longer there is more to do. Replaced a starter recoil on my brothers Sachs Dolmar 113, it was only 33 years old, go figure. Luckily I had a NOS one to replace it with.

Always nice when you have what you need in stock to effect a repair...113 was quite a popular model...I've even worked on a few....

Always nice when you have what you need in stock to effect a repair...113 was quite a popular model...I've even worked on a few....

I have been called a hoarder by many but it really is nice to have NOS parts on hand for 30 something year old saws. Since we ran SD saws for 15 years or so for many jobs I have a few spare parts taking up space but handy to have when needed. I have dipped into them more than once...LOL
The 116 was more popular around here with the 113 sharing a much lower rung on the ladder. That 113 was actually mine but I let my brother have it about 10 years back when his little Efco basically fell apart.

Still plugging away on outboards, about to tackle the Huskvarna of outboard motors, a 70 hp Mercury, maybe adapt some OMC components to it.
Save the sparkplugs......change everything else to OMC......but don't ferget to paint it black.....

Save the sparkplugs......change everything else to OMC......but don't ferget to paint it black.....
One has to be able to take it apart to change said parts, unlike Husqvarna a Mercury is a bastid to take fasteners out of once used for a few years in water the fasteners become fused to the metal components. Most times its break the fasteners heads off and drill out the shanks, re thread for new stainless bolts.

One has to be able to take it apart to change said parts, unlike Husqvarna a Mercury is a bastid to take fasteners out of once used for a few years in water the fasteners become fused to the metal components. Most times its break the fasteners heads off and drill out the shanks, re thread for new stainless bolts.

Well in all fairness that is not exclusive to Mercs........almost every Johnson or Evinrude I've owned did not come apart well until I had them apart once and never seized the pizz out of every bolt. Generally breaking most bolts off getting them apart. Regardless my leanings are towards OMC in outboards....

Well in all fairness that is not exclusive to Mercs........almost every Johnson or Evinrude I've owned did not come apart well until I had them apart once and never seized the pizz out of every bolt. Generally breaking most bolts off getting them apart. Regardless my leanings are towards OMC in outboards....

I just completed an Evinrude rebuild, old 1980 35 hp, been in salt watter most of its life, seized thermostat had to be removed requiring the cover with 8 bolts to be removed from the cylinder head, all came out without breakage. Figured may as well replace the waterpump, all bolts holding the bottom end on came out, waterpump housing bolts came out. Made a short shaft into a long shaft, had a parts donor motor, driveshaft required cutting near mid points and rejoining( welding in the lathe), different splines top n bottom of originals, typical OMC. Parts motor is a 84 35 hp, good powerhead, bad bottom end gears( stripped gears and busted shift dog). Will rebuild if I find a suitable donor, come up occasionally when a bottom end encounters a rocky bottom...

I just completed an Evinrude rebuild, old 1980 35 hp, been in salt watter most of its life, seized thermostat had to be removed requiring the cover with 8 bolts to be removed from the cylinder head, all came out without breakage. Figured may as well replace the waterpump, all bolts holding the bottom end on came out, waterpump housing bolts came out. Made a short shaft into a long shaft, had a parts donor motor, driveshaft required cutting near mid points and rejoining( welding in the lathe), different splines top n bottom of originals, typical OMC. Parts motor is a 84 35 hp, good powerhead, bad bottom end gears( stripped gears and busted shift dog). Will rebuild if I find a suitable donor, come up occasionally when a bottom end encounters a rocky bottom...

Interior parts come free much better but the bolts that live below the waterline ie. lower unit bolts etc never come free easily unless it's been apart frequently and previously anti siezesd at least once......no matter the brand... in my experience .....

No Neverseize on either 35 before me pulling them apart, now they have a liberal dose on each screw, likely never to be removed again. Put all new seals in the bottom end, new waterpump and housing, all new stainless steel machine screws and bolts.

Is that the one you said lived in fresh water? It takes what it takes.......

Is that the one you said lived in fresh water? It takes what it takes.......
No, the Evinrudes are local saltwater engines, used but never flushed with fresh water evah. The 70 hp Merc is a fresh water only engine, bought brandy new from our local marine outlet, used in only one freshwater lake not far from me at the head of Chezzectcook. Now my nightmare to convert to a power tilt, possibly end up as a power tilt n trim setup.

Latest posts

Back