Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always good to have spares!!! This transom unit is in about the same condition as your upper unit you got to the westward.....gotta love fresh water marine stuff!!!
Yea, fresh water stuff always looks better and the fittings , nuts ,bolts can be removed much easier, yours looks near mint.
Fellow here wants to sell an Alfa 1 he bought from Upper Canada, Ontario I think, looks just like yours, near mint. Told me he would let it go for $800. CDN, bought it last summer but it won`t fit his setup. May have it sold for him as my neighbor on the lake stripped his upper gears on his.

Yep lost uppers is a regular thing on outdrives.....lube gets low and it's over pretty quick. This one of the biggest reasons I picked up this transom unit. Later Alpha I Gen II outdrives are set up so there is a reservoir tank on the engine with a line that runs back through the transom unit into the drive unit so it's real easy to keep track your fluid level and you start having to add you can hopefully nip the problem in the bud. My drive is new and so is my engine and are both set up for this but my transom unit is not. There are other age related issues with mine as well but this unit will solve them all.....new trim rams should be here tomorrow too!!

Yep lost uppers is a regular thing on outdrives.....lube gets low and it's over pretty quick. This one of the biggest reasons I picked up this transom unit. Later Alpha I Gen II outdrives are set up so there is a reservoir tank on the engine with a line that runs back through the transom unit into the drive unit so it's real easy to keep track your fluid level and you start having to add you can hopefully nip the problem in the bud. My drive is new and so is my engine and are both set up for this but my transom unit is not. There are other age related issues with mine as well but this unit will solve them all.....new trim rams should be here tomorrow too!!
You will have all new drive components now, should be worry free for the rest of your cruising years.
My new neighbor, about 1/4 mile down the lake just bought the place last August, he is new to this camp and boat stuff. He bought a nice looking Bayliner from upriver St Johns NB, freshwater boat. He don`t know a thing about boats or engines,drives or the like but the limit switch was removed from his shift bracket at the engine allowing a shift to be made at any RPM. Not a good thing.

$4 part that West Marine wants $12 for. I need two. Shipping will be $6 on two or $9/ea shipped through Amazon. I need to order more junk to get the free shipping.
3e2c78edd7bfa9b436570c53bc1ff099.jpg

Was planning on going to the island Sat afternoon but the weather didn't cooperate......went for the day Sun instead. Had pick up my old mushroom to bring back to the shop to weld a new eye on. As you can see.........the old eye was getting pretty darn thin!!!!!

IMG_0019.jpg IMG_0020.jpg

Oh ****.......good thing Ron don't blow through here often!!!!!

Was planning on going to the island Sat afternoon but the weather didn't cooperate......went for the day Sun instead. Had pick up my old mushroom to bring back to the shop to weld a new eye on. As you can see.........the old eye was getting pretty darn thin!!!!!

Oh ****.......good thing Ron don't blow through here often!!!!!

Nope, can`t see no eye!

Getting pretty thin but maybe another year left in er, won`t cost much though to replace, weld in a new one. Got any stainless , call Unc.

Well.......haven't heard much from Unc about the SS anchor lately so just had to buy new.......this one degraded to just an out haul anchor.......but it gets a new eye welded on.......and again thanks to Unc. I have a very sweet eye to weld on....actually have two.......Thanks Unc!!!

This one did have life left in it but when you get down to 1/8" increments on the bottom of the harbor you get nervous......hence when I was out there last fall I ran out two storm anchors as a precaution....no trust in thin metal..........

I know how much you like to get every ounce of use from something but I agree whole heartedly, that eye is done as far as safety goes. Around salt water I like my stainless, go to all lengths to get what I need to make good grapling anchors but a mushroom would be a difficult but not impossible item to make. Having shipyards here make many things possible. Made a great anchor once from a rail car wheel.

I know how much you like to get every ounce of use from something but I agree whole heartedly, that eye is done as far as safety goes. Around salt water I like my stainless, go to all lengths to get what I need to make good grapling anchors but a mushroom would be a difficult but not impossible item to make. Having shipyards here make many things possible. Made a great anchor once from a rail car wheel.
I Have a couple of those wheels and the axle in the middle did a salvage cleanup and the wheels wouldn't fit on the last load so Must have been a big boat. I am not familiar with boats that size.

What I would really like to have is 1000 lb slab of granite with a 1 1/2" diameter SS staple in it.......that would certainly last me out!! Likely a dozen or more of those on the bottom of the harbor the ancestors left behind. Just be iron staples though and hard to find as they sink into the mud and become invisible. My fathers last mooring stone is there somewhere to deep to see bottom at low water as is my great uncle's......likely the staples have rotted away by now so just a square-ish stone with two holes drilled all the way through them.

Gee Whizzzz.......rainy day so I took off from work and decided to see if I could get some of the dozen or more client saws out of my way in the shop. Was just puzzling which one to start on and Edward calls......dropped a large maple on his brand new 562XP......kinda have to tend out on Edward so I says "Bring 'er in"........top handle snapped off, brake flag destroyed and fuel tank broked....funny thing is he picked it up and used it until a few minutes later the handle fell off .....in the middle of fixing this rig (Edward has many parts saws....life expectancy for a new pro saw for Ed is 6 months...MAX) (Had two of his 562s at the shop plus he brought two junkers "bout a year old each) Anyway in the middle of this Joe calls up an brings me a pretty nice 268XP he just bought and wants me to go through it....thought this was going to be a relaxing day doing saw work......turns out this is just like WORK!!!!!

What I would really like to have is 1000 lb slab of granite with a 1 1/2" diameter SS staple in it.......that would certainly last me out!! Likely a dozen or more of those on the bottom of the harbor the ancestors left behind. Just be iron staples though and hard to find as they sink into the mud and become invisible. My fathers last mooring stone is there somewhere to deep to see bottom at low water as is my great uncle's......likely the staples have rotted away by now so just a square-ish stone with two holes drilled all the way through them.
Sitting way back here in NEBRASKA I wonder how many (of us Midwesterners) would even think on Hysterical (Historical) lines like old anchors. But we do have old tractors. I enjoyed your article We also have some really limestone quarries but I assume the salt would have its' way with it worse than steel Maybe you could have a Tombstone cut and made as an anchor for your boat. MORBID and probably flaunting superstitions beyond reason. thanks for the POST.

So.......getting back to the packing of items for shipping...namely chainsaws but not exclusively. My transom assembly came packed as good as I have ever received. Yesterday I received another package of boat items and they were packed as well if not better than the first!! However the packing was not as high tech as the first but these items were very well protected from each other and from outside peril.......I can only hope the those that intend of shipping saws will pay attention to these two vert different approaches to packing up and shipping items of value.....

As you can see the cardboard box was covered in gorilla tape.....the two rams were each placed inside the sleeves of an old sweatshirt....rolled up then rolled in a heavy old towel and placed between two bed pillows that were a press fit inside the box with double layers of thick cardboard at the ends!! The rams were in perfect condition.....good job!! It was free shipping on the rams too.......
IMG_0021.jpg IMG_0022.jpg IMG_0025.jpg IMG_0026.jpg IMG_0028.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Back